Golfer's Elbow

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Golfer's Elbow

Postby dflaschiii » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:40 pm

I've developed some snap recently but I must be doing something wrong because I've developed "medial epicondylitis," aka golfer's or pitcher's elbow. I have slight pain, but mainly soreness and weakness at the bottom of my elbow, the "ball" under the elbow is very tender. I feel weakness in grip and less dexterity in fingers. Ice and rest should do the trick.

I haven't been playing any more often than normal, but I have been really feeling the weight of the disc pulling on my forefinger, getting snap off that finger, late acceleration, etc. I've been averaging 375-400 with the disc slipping out of my hand and have just started to get the disc to snap off. I tend to feel more strain immediately after release. Anyone have any idea what I could be doing wrong?
dflaschiii
Tree Magnet

Re: Golfer's Elbow

Postby JR » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:54 am

Getting an inflammation could come from other sources than overuse but in this case overdoing sounds likely. I've heard that 50 drives per day max is safe for big arms. Not very much compared to Robbie Bratten. Eventually you want to get O2 to the tissues and getting all the extra stuff out so you want to start exercising lightly at first at some point. A doc would be the best bet to get that info from but you could also surf the net for advice. Like medical sites i mean if Googling doesn't help.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Mark Ellis » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:00 am

dflaschiii wrote:I've developed some snap recently but I must be doing something wrong because I've developed "medial epicondylitis," aka golfer's or pitcher's elbow. I have slight pain, but mainly soreness and weakness at the bottom of my elbow, the "ball" under the elbow is very tender. I feel weakness in grip and less dexterity in fingers. Ice and rest should do the trick.

I haven't been playing any more often than normal, but I have been really feeling the weight of the disc pulling on my forefinger, getting snap off that finger, late acceleration, etc. I've been averaging 375-400 with the disc slipping out of my hand and have just started to get the disc to snap off. I tend to feel more strain immediately after release. Anyone have any idea what I could be doing wrong?

If you are feeling pain from a throwing motion then that motion may be wrong for you and you may need to abandon it on a permanent or semi-permanent basis. It might also be you hurt it in some other way but throwing discs aggravates it or prevents it from recovering.

Elbow problems can linger or become chronic so it is important to figure out the cause (so not to repeat the problem).

There are different elbow maladies. I had what was called Tennis Elbow twice (a decade apart), once from racquetball and once from lifting weights. In each case wearing a tennis elbow brace and icing it (and deep tissue massage in the 2nd case) eventually allowed it to recover. Throwing a disc was not a motion that cased me pain or seemed to aggravate my condition but certain motions could bring me to my knees (shaking hands among others).

You need to find throwing motions which do not harm your elbow. I am not a fan of taking time off from the game if there is a way to avoid it. It may be you can throw forehands or overheads or some other shot without pain. If so, in addition to whatever therapy you pursue, you may want to avoid the shots which hurt and use shots which do not.

As I get older and develop new and diverse physical troubles the more I am impressed with Massage. I don't mean soft, relaxing massage but the deep tissue stuff which is very painful while you are getting it but very effective long term.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby bcr123psu » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:19 am

You may also want to have your shoulder evaluated as your elbow pain might be a symptom of a different issue. The elbow can overcompensate for a weak shoulder, causing hyper extension and tendinitis. Proper stretching and a strengthening routine could be just the ticket.
bcr123psu
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: The one in my brakes

Postby OKNate » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:31 pm

You said you have developed a 'snap'. This makes me suspicious on if you are hyperextending your elbow to get that 'snap'. Also i've had tendonitus in my elbow from pitching in college. And there really wasn't a 'cure' for it as much as letting it rest and recover on it's own for me. I took 2 months off after the season without throwing and it recovered 100%.
OKNate
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Teebird

Postby sunspot » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:58 pm

I've had this happen to me recently. I think the best thing to do is ice it, rest, and take some ibuprofen.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby Redisculous » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:41 pm

If you get a vid up of your throw some of the gurus on the board here may be able to point out what/if you may be doing wrong.
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby Bernardo » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:18 am

Hmmm my friend had some issue while playing golf in the elbow this therad memories me his pain dont know but happend there was not injury it might be some kind of muscle problem and physical therapist really helped him.......
Bernardo
Noob

Favorite Disc: Banceyy

Postby olivia » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:49 pm

I have read in many blogs that deep tissue massage is good remedy for injuries and strains that occurs during the sports. I too believe in it.
olivia
Noob

Postby what'shisname » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:42 am

I've had some tennis elbow pain on and off for the last 4 months. I've found recently that I can use a foam roller and body weight to stretch it out (and any other sore points).
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby bcr123psu » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:03 am

I spent 6 months in PT and OT to correct my golfer's elbow. If anybody that has actually been diagnosed with medial epicondylitis that isn't in PT or OT and would like some suggestions on how to address this symptom (because it is typically an indicator of some other area of deficiency), feel free to PM me.
bcr123psu
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: The one in my brakes

Postby jsmokeyjoe74 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:55 pm

OKNate wrote:You said you have developed a 'snap'. This makes me suspicious on if you are hyperextending your elbow to get that 'snap'. Also i've had tendonitus in my elbow from pitching in college. And there really wasn't a 'cure' for it as much as letting it rest and recover on it's own for me. I took 2 months off after the season without throwing and it recovered 100%.

Good advice! I couldn't take the pain, so I went to a Charlotte massage therapist who sees this problem a lot with tennis players. After a couple of therapy sessions and time away from the game, my elbow healed nicely. Now I am very careful when I play, paying close attention to my form. Sometimes I'm a little sore, but it's never been painful like that one time!
jsmokeyjoe74
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova

Postby Whiz » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:43 pm

I am in Charlotte too and would love to find a good massage therapist. Who did you go see?
E* DD2, Wraith, Glow Firebird, S-P-C PD, TD, Leopard, Roc, KC Aviar
Whiz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: S Wiz/S PD

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury