Courses you don't play and why

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Courses you don't play and why

Postby domromer » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:50 pm

Westmoreland DGC in Eugene, Oregon. Flat, boring, always crowded. Flooded most of the winter. If it's not flooded it's a muddy quagmire.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby maks » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:37 pm

I dont really like playing Shorewood Park here in Illinois. The crowd there is almost always terrible. like more than 2 groups of 12 highschool kids after school. that and the cops are always patrolling it. my cousin has been struck by a disc more than once there with no warning either. people also like to throw on holes where your still playing at as well.

On top of that there are beer cans and bottles everywhere just the other day one of the maintenance guys hit one and shot it into someones shoulder. The course has plenty of trash cans as well people just never use them.

Now a days the cops are actually walking around "undercover" and im a guy who likes to have a beer or 10 some rounds :wink: or v-Gatorades
maks
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Super-Roc

Postby topcide » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:40 pm

SkaBob wrote:I don't usually play Riverbends park. half because of the mosquitos (stagnant swamp on the back section), half because the river that bends through it runs through 2 toxic waste dumps less than a mile upstream, and if the disc diving kids aren't there (or if I don't have any cash on me that day), I'm just not getting anything I lose back.

I also try not to play the Toboggan, even with as awesome as it is...my knees just aren't up to it :cry:

I also don't play the farm (my youtube blooper vid was taken there), because 75% of the course is below the flood plain, so when it rains there's 2-3 feet of water preventing you from playing it, and the whole course layout is just stuck in at random places in the park where they had room. The layout doesn't make sense. There's a 1/4 mile walk from basket 1 to tee pad 2, and you can only get there by walking along a major road with no sidewalk. The rest of the layout isn't much better.

Then there's Willow metropark...It's one of my favorite courses, but you can only play it in the winter. The mosquitos are seriously insane.

The farm is a waste of baskets IMO. And while I play toboggan usually once a year when it's in and genreally like it, I think that is the most over hyped, and overrated course in the state.
topcide
Noob

Postby Danforth » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:42 am

I don't play Laguna Lake in San Louis Obispo because there's too much tall grass to lose your discs in. The last time I played there, I spent a combined total of about an hour and a half looking for where my drive landed. :evil:
VoodooWizardBuzzLeoT-BirdFirebirdProSF

"Hitler and Mussolini were only the primary spokesmen for the attitude of domination and craving for power that are in the heart of almost everyone. Until the source is cleared, there will always be confusion and hate, wars and class antagonisms." - Jiddu Krishnamurti
Danforth
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TeeChicken

Postby Timko » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:08 am

I don't play Legacy Park because Brian Palmer is the course coordinator. :wink:

Really, I don't play that course because the grass is super high and there's drainage. I heard they improved both of those aspects this year, so I'll probably put it in my summer rotation.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby emiller3 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:02 am

I rarely play at my original local course any more. It's mostly a mid/putter course, I used to go play with just my putters sometimes. It's become overrun with shirtless guys hucking Bosses every which way, and the more popular it gets, the more baskets get stolen and the more groups of 8 you have to play behind. It became a game of asking to play through on every hole. The city is neglecting it, although a couple guys in the local club still get out there and move the baskets around frequently and clear teepads. It's getting tracked out pretty bad. It's a shame, I learned to play on that course but it seems like it's going downhill.

Some of the other serious golfers and a handful of Pros in town got tired of the Boss scene as well, so they got together with a local retreat center made a private course on 20 acres of wooded land. Talk about awesome. It's a legitimate par 64, 19 hole course that's seriously challenging me.

I also work next to a State Championship course that's pretty empty during lunch.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby trainwreck05 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:44 am

topcide wrote:
SkaBob wrote:I don't usually play Riverbends park. half because of the mosquitos (stagnant swamp on the back section), half because the river that bends through it runs through 2 toxic waste dumps less than a mile upstream, and if the disc diving kids aren't there (or if I don't have any cash on me that day), I'm just not getting anything I lose back.

I also try not to play the Toboggan, even with as awesome as it is...my knees just aren't up to it :cry:

I also don't play the farm (my youtube blooper vid was taken there), because 75% of the course is below the flood plain, so when it rains there's 2-3 feet of water preventing you from playing it, and the whole course layout is just stuck in at random places in the park where they had room. The layout doesn't make sense. There's a 1/4 mile walk from basket 1 to tee pad 2, and you can only get there by walking along a major road with no sidewalk. The rest of the layout isn't much better.

Then there's Willow metropark...It's one of my favorite courses, but you can only play it in the winter. The mosquitos are seriously insane.

The farm is a waste of baskets IMO. And while I play toboggan usually once a year when it's in and genreally like it, I think that is the most over hyped, and overrated course in the state.

Is Riverbends ever dry? lol
trainwreck05
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby joegraham » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:32 pm

Aquatic Park in Berkeley is off my list. I've lost 10 discs there in only 4 rounds, and only one came back. Mostly lost in bushes or the gross mud there. Only a few lost in the bay which is in play on a lot of holes. It's too narrow and crowded with runners, walkers, slow walkers, and hustlers and addicts.

Morley Field in San Diego was out when I lived there. Fortunately there are options in SD county. WAY too crowded with drunk groups throwing drivers on all holes with no regard to anyone else on the course at all times of day. The pro shop makes no effort to inform about ettiquete/safety or address on course issues as they arise. All about the benjamins there.
"Bang da chains!"
joegraham
Noob

Favorite Disc: roc

Postby Itchy » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:26 pm

Danforth wrote:I don't play Laguna Lake in San Louis Obispo because there's too much tall grass to lose your discs in. The last time I played there, I spent a combined total of about an hour and a half looking for where my drive landed. :evil:

7, 9 and 17 are the worst. Go on league night, they put out spotters. You'll only loose discs on the temp holes out in the reeds.
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Postby victorb » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:02 am

Plunkett park in Mexico MO is the only course I won't play. It has (well, had) potential to be a nice 9 hole with alternate tees, but the city never did anything with it in 30+ years. Not even concrete tee pads, or signs, or markings to where you have to throw from next. If you didn't have a local you'd never get your round in. Sad, because it's one of the oldest disc golf parks in Missouri, and is going to get pulled (if it hasn't already) because it's very underused anymore.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Prerube » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:24 am

Giles Run, VA: Because I am a weenie armed pansy who hates the ticks and thorns. The half mile walk between holes is a turn off also.
Shumaker Pond, MD: Baskets in the playgrounds, entire area is cluttered.
Sawyer Park, NY: It has fallen apart and been forgotten, why play there when Basil is a tenth of a mile away.
Silver Creek, MD: 7 baskets in an open field with no tees, some are damaged.
Prerube
Ruby's Pimp-ass shirt revival

Postby new013 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:40 am

Avalon Peaks - shittiest course I've ever seen. runs through an apartment complex, literally in peoples backyards then empties out in to a power line access road where baskets are randomly littered in 3' tall grass with no way of telling where to throw from or to.

Scottish Hills - 9 holer that runs through the back of another apartment complex, it's better than Avalon but still bleh. it's got targets instead of baskets. crappy layout, probably good for kids to play.

Jack Marley - 9 holer at public park and people and kids are usually all over the place, plus it's not that great of a layout.
"F*ck... here comes that guy New013."
new013
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TL

Postby Mark Ellis » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:51 pm

Righty hyzer tunnel courses piss me off. Yeah, I am counterclockwise spin dominant.

Riverbends (Utica, Michigan, which I have heard is closing and I will shed no tears), Cold Brook (Kzoo, Michigan) and The Beauty (Ludington, Michigan) are among the worst. I still play them and curse them constantly while doing so.

Cold Brook and Beauty have been modified from their original layouts and they are better-but still suck. Riverbends used to be world class but its modifications have made it suck.

A sign should be posted at these sites: Sorry for inconvenience, lefties are not allowed to cash here. Please donate generously before you leave.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby pdiddy71 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:05 pm

The course at Libery University is one I could care less for. It just has some poor fairway planning and awful tee boxes. I know some people enjoy the one or two track wide fairways, but Hole 2 there for example doesn't have that. There is a kind of atv trail, off to the right that goes away from the basket. I believe it is hole 10 ( maybe 11) that kind of an exploratory hole. There is of course a lot of rough sections on some holes with thorns and such. Hole 13 is long, slight anhyzer hole. On the right side is 4 ft high grass, which makes trying to find a disc time consuming. I know the easy way to avoid these pitfalls to throw better, but if it was that easy to do, I would like this course better.
pdiddy71
Noob

Favorite Disc: valkyrie / wasp

Postby Mr.SmOOOth » Fri May 11, 2012 2:35 pm

SkaBob wrote: Then there's Willow metropark...It's one of my favorite courses, but you can only play it in the winter. The mosquitos are seriously insane.

The standing water at Willow really smells bad. I played it for the first time in November and it was an instant favorite. Then the snow melted and the middle third of the course became a stinky mudpit. Now I go to Lakeshore instead.
Are the skeeters bad on the whole course?
"Are you talking to me on a cellular phone? I don't know you. Who is this? Don't come here! Prank caller! Prank caller!"
Mr.SmOOOth
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Z BUZZZ

PreviousNext

Return to Courses