Just an observation

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Mark Brunner » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:52 pm

Oh understandable. I could never get the gateway I wanted here but loved everything that I had thrown. Personally when I do carry gateway to sell I plan to have a couple of every mold for people to try out before buying.

I was really just commenting on the fact that Innova's market share is like 7x larger than Discrafts...
http://www.gdstour.com
Gateway Disc Sports!
Mark Brunner
Tree Magnet

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:09 pm

You're right about that. I'm just an oddball. For every thing I like about Innova, there is a Discraft/Gateway item I like just a little better. Er, except the wraith.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Pagan » Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:55 pm

TexasOutlaw wrote:You're right about that. I'm just an oddball. For every thing I like about Innova, there is a Discraft/Gateway item I like just a little better. Er, except the wraith.

Try the Surge in ESP :-)
Wizard, Buzzz!, Sabre, Avenger
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Average Controlled Drives ~ 330'
Max Make Putt Range ~ 60'
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:21 am

Pagan wrote:
TexasOutlaw wrote:You're right about that. I'm just an oddball. For every thing I like about Innova, there is a Discraft/Gateway item I like just a little better. Er, except the wraith.

Try the Surge in ESP :-)

I'm trying! Haven't been able to get ahold of Mike! Looking for a new vendor.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:33 am

I got to add to this because I just noticed more and more discraft creeping into my bag. They pretty much have a stranglehold on my midrange stuff now. My cobra/rocs have been replaced by buzz/MRV/breeze. The discraft stuff just seems to hold a tight line better, which is what I need since I play a tight, wooded course.

my putters are still split, I use a challenger for overstable approaches but carry two avair xs for understable, stable approaches. One 15, which is awesome for finesse approaches and one 4x, both are beat to hell. My putter right now is a banger, which has been nailing putts for me. I do have the 5 wizard deal coming in the mail though so it might be getting replaced.

All my drivers except one are Innova though, I got a wraith, two orcs, sidewinder, leopard, and gazelle. The one discraft is a Z Avenger which, for me, is the best headwind driver I have tried.

As for Gateway, except for an element x I found I really haven't giving them much of a try. I will eventually though.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:04 pm

Tell me about the breeze. I use a buzz, glide (understable), and demon (ridiculously overstable). I'm going to start beating up a pro D buzz for understable, I think. And still am looking for overstable, maybe a z wasp.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

breeze

Postby twmccoy » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:40 pm

The breeze is a very understable midrange comparable to the panther, but more understable. I never really liked it because it flipped badly every time I threw it. If you want good understable midranges, get a panther or a glide.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:26 pm

the breese was comparable to the panther glide for me in stability, the latter two are just much faster, making the breese easier to turn however more sparatic.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby discmonkey42 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:43 pm

Breeze is touchy, touchy, touchy. It will flip easier than a glide and is shorter. As with any disc, thrown right it's not bad. stick with the glide.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby roadkill » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:08 am

I think the Breeze is a good disc for a short wooded course. I like the Breeze for touch turnovers. What I mean is you need to go straight 100' then turn hard right about 60 feet. For this short of a distance a Glide is too much disc. If you put significant hyzer on the disc it can be used as a good 200' straight tunnel shot.

Of course if you have a trusty beat putter you may perform these shots with a beat wizard also.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:30 am

thats kind of my take also, I perfer a putter for the range the breeze is good for. Which is funny beacuse the only people I know who throw them use them for long putts, and never throw them on drives, they perfer their putter (I want to ask why not learn to putt long with a putter, but if they dont ask...)
I used to throw glides, but switched to panthers (for a short time) for consistancy/control, but now am loving the element, which is a bit more stable, but turns like a dream.
and the glide type fly bys are much less common, the glide is still better for the ace race, its great for going for it from 200-300, even 350 w/ the right line, but not very good for your score when you miss and have a 40' comeback putt...
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:21 am

I have not gotten to use a glide yet and I probably will try one after reading the replies but the breeze is a pimp disc for me. I can make it do anything from a straight shot to a hard anhyzer. It is good for me to about 275 for tight controlled drives or approaches. I like to throw it instead of a putter because I don't want chunks taken out of my driving putter (banger GT) if it slams into the a tree, the Z plastic is way more durable (duh). I have hit the basket on multiple occassions on drives with this disc.

I don't know why but it is just butter for me.

On a side note I love the Banger GT but damn that thing just seems to be made to get beat up super quick.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Solty » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:54 am

i concur...the banger does get beat up rather quickly....Z plastic..please!
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:11 am

I really like the banger, but it is not as durable as a wizard. I believe the wizard to be slightly better in the wind.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby discmonkey42 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:58 am

Every shot just listed can be hit with a Wizard. Get an E for the woods if concerned, but left, straight, right, low, high, wind, or calm, inside 250' I'm reaching for a wizard. They don't let you down and aren't near as touchy as a glide or a breeze and can replace both IMHO.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion