Working Stiff's Bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Working Stiff's Bag

Postby BrotherDave » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:54 pm

My brother used to be deadly accurate with his beat to hell Wolf...

...with get-out-of-trouble pancake shots. :|
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby Working Stiff » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:08 pm

After a lot of pointless testing I'm pretty sure rolling is all that the Wolf is good for, but there are other Innova discs (Cobra anyone) that are just as good if not better at rolling that can actually be used for some other purpose. As far as a newbie disc goes, they have the Stingray, Cobra, Kite, Panther and Skeeter that all in my mind would be a better newbie choice.

So the mystery continues. If it is just a thumtrac® issue, the Puma was actually a decent disc in a huge Panther overlap kinda way. They could have kept it around instead of the useless Wolf. There has to be some reason the Wolf stayed. Has to be.

Some NC guy a long time ago told me that Harold Duvall threw rollers with a Wolf. Maybe he just has enough pull to keep a useless disc he likes to use in production.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:51 am

You'd think they'd just give harold a stack of like 200 wolves and then call it a day.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Prerube » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:13 am

Working Stiff wrote:After a lot of pointless testing I'm pretty sure rolling is all that the Wolf is good for, but there are other Innova discs (Cobra anyone) that are just as good if not better at rolling that can actually be used for some other purpose. As far as a newbie disc goes, they have the Stingray, Cobra, Kite, Panther and Skeeter that all in my mind would be a better newbie choice.

So the mystery continues. If it is just a thumtrac® issue, the Puma was actually a decent disc in a huge Panther overlap kinda way. They could have kept it around instead of the useless Wolf. There has to be some reason the Wolf stayed. Has to be.

Some NC guy a long time ago told me that Harold Duvall threw rollers with a Wolf. Maybe he just has enough pull to keep a useless disc he likes to use in production.

It is because it is one of only 2 midranges that Dicks Sporting goods sells, innova just sees that people are buying the wolf and keep making them.
Prerube
Ruby's Pimp-ass shirt revival

Postby Working Stiff » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:10 am

I know we like to bash Innova's business sense, but it seems like by now somebody would have caught on to that. "Hey, look at this. We sold 16,000 Wolves on the Dick's contract and all of our other vendors combined ordered 38. Hmmm..." If that was the case you could plug in anything there like the Panther. The Panther is an pretty nice little newbie disc. Just write the contract with "Panther" instead of "Wolf" because at that point you have evidence that it is just product placement and anything in that slot would sell.

There has to be more to it.

It's a midrange that flies shorter than a putter and is horribly understable, so I guess it would be good for really, really short turnover approaches that you were afraid you would go too long on with a putter. I almost finished typing that without bursting into laughter. It kinda reminds me of an 86 in some ways, except at the end of the day you could putt with an 86 so by default it had a use.
Last edited by Working Stiff on Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:44 am

what if Innova made like 80,000 wolves back in the day and now are stuck with them. Think about it. No new wolves have been molded since 1999.

Also in regards to the SM aviar. I went through the same thing where mine got beat up in some stupid crazy winds and I decided for a while that it was completely flippy and shitty. I need to stop judging discs worth in 30 mph wind.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Working Stiff » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:08 pm

After a fairly short time in Chicago I went more overstable with everything. Putters went to big bead Aviars and then to Wizards. Comets went to Rancho Rocs and then Sentinels. Drivers went from Cyclones to Gazelles to Banshees. In retrospect, I could have tried to learn to throw in the wind.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby Prerube » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:25 pm

The wolf was the first disc I owned and I thought it could do everything...I didn't know any better.
there are probably many new players that like what the line looks like on innovas flight chart.

It was really cool watching your bag evolve throughout the years, nice thread.
Prerube
Ruby's Pimp-ass shirt revival

Postby BrotherDave » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:28 pm

Ken Climo sez: "Designed for a good thumb grip, this medium speed under-stable mid-range makes for a great learning tool. Easy to release."

It must be true then.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Postby Working Stiff » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:16 am

Hey asshole...suck a bag of dicks!
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby keltik » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:49 pm

I don't understand. Whom are you ordering to felate an entire satchel of penises?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby BrotherDave » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:44 pm

keltik wrote:I don't understand. Whom are you ordering to felate an entire satchel of penises?

Me.

You wanna go tough guy?
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Postby Working Stiff » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:48 pm

What are you going to do, twist my nipples and make me throw a Nebula?
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby keltik » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:52 pm

Ladies! Let's be civil.

and besides the Nebula is just a Cro copy :P (love you Bro-D, mean it.)
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby BrotherDave » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:54 pm

Oh, you sonofabitch. I'd twist your nipples if you had them, freak.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion