jtbingster's bag - going into 2012

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

jtbingster's bag - going into 2012

Postby jtbingster2 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:26 am

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: DG ~1.5
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, some FH and working on OH
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Wizard: 250/300' / Leo, Eagle: 325/375' / Wraith: 390/425

* Max distance is the greatest distance you can throw with any regularity

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: None
Other sport proficiencies?: Ultimate, football, basketball
Additional Information:

Bag:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):

175 Z Predator - seasoned - OS utility, heavy headwinds
175 Star Eagle - slightly seasoned - main (slightly) OS driver, light-medium headwinds
175 Star Leopard - seasoned - main straight/long turnover driver
170 Pro Leopard - slightly seasoned - main hyzerflip, turnover driver

Mids:

KC Pro Rocs:
??? 11x - well seasoned - straight mid, beating it in more
180 12x - seasoned - main OS mid
177 12x - slightly seasoned - backup, takes up space in the bag

Putters:

175 Glow Wizard - beat - putts, approaches, drives

So I know that my P&A department is weak, and that is simply because I'm waiting till Christmas to try out Ions, which I'm hoping will replace my Wizard. I just didn't really want to invest in any other putter before I try them out.

Any suggestions? I'll update this as I go throughout the year.
jtbingster2
Noob

Re: jtbingster's bag - going into 2012

Postby JR » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:03 am

It is ok as it is, but with 300' max you may want to experiment with discs, that go far with any given power level. Such as Discraft Comet, Latitude 64 Gold Line River and Westside Discs King. Kings vary a lot with dome height and outer edge height variations. Flat ones are very understable and so are ones with a drooping outer edge.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby jtbingster2 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:27 am

I've been throwing Wraiths for max D, but took them out for right now. What do you mean by 300' max? I'm somewhat confused, sorry.
jtbingster2
Noob

Postby mattw » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:44 am

The bag is solid so I am not sure how much more advice you will need. If you get Wraiths out 390-425 thier nothing wrong with having them in your bag. I use Wizards for all my approach and putting needs its a great disc. Nothing wrong with sampling other putters. But once you pick one stick with it switching putters alot can start to hurt your short game.
mattw
2010 DGR Donator

Postby JR » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:45 am

jtbingster2 wrote:I've been throwing Wraiths for max D, but took them out for right now. What do you mean by 300' max? I'm somewhat confused, sorry.

Damn my bad. I skimmed your text too quickly and picked up the Wizard distance, which changes the recommendations totally. Comet and River recommendation does not change, but the reason to recommend them do. At your power you have more finesse and accuracy options than many and Comets are great for all sorts of nasty turning shots and straight flying hyzer flips. River throws faaaaar with a powerful line drive and is sick accurate with pulled power. Both are great news for scores.

Wraith is ok. Only the most overstable Kings could work. That means VIP high dome and high PLH.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby jtbingster2 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:22 am

I had thought about trying Rivers, and I probably will. Right now I just have Leos at my disposal. When I get extra funds (or maybe my SS will be awesome) I'll pick up a River. From what I've heard, I'm guessing I want a~170 GL? Not too light, not too heavy?
jtbingster2
Noob

Postby JR » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:01 am

It is so straight, that the extra weight would give it a hair more margin against gusts, so with your power i'd go to 175 GL River right away. Of course you could get a lighter one later for understabler flights, if you like the full weight one. A lighter one would be longer and with your power could also function as a distance disc. Just don't expect it to handle headwinds and fade a lot on the end or skip.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby jtbingster2 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:23 am

UPDATE:

My bag has changed quite a lot in the past month and a half, so tell me what you guys think. I finally got Ions and an Axis, both of which I've been wanting to try out, as well as TDs. Leopards are out, after giving away my CE Leo and losing my Pro. Rocs are still in, with the addition of the Axis. My driving setup now consists solely of TDs and my trusty Pred. Here's what it looks like laid out:

175 S Ion (pink, clear) - slightly seasoned - drives, approaches (BH, FH, rollers) and practice putts
175 S Ion (pink, clear) - fresh - putts and field throws

??? 11x KC Roc (white) - beat - big turnovers
175 Proton Axis (green) - fresh - workable mid (anything I don't need major fade or turn on, I'll throw the Axis)
180 12x KC Roc (white) - seasoned - OS mid (wind, shots w/ fade)

169 C TD (yellowish, + rim) - pretty fresh - go-to driver (trying to beat it in)
175 C TD (pearly pink, regular rim) - pretty fresh - place holder until the yellow beats in enough to make a slot for it, field throws
175 Z Predator (yellow) - well seasoned/beat - utility, main OS driver

What do guys think about the changes? Next two additions I'm thinking will be a Vector and an S PD, both of which I'm wanting to try out (I'd also love to have an all MVP short range setup). Sound good?
jtbingster2
Noob

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion