Video clips by jr, lcgm8, mafa and others

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Video clips by jr, lcgm8, mafa and others

Postby cajual » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:49 pm

Well, I would say this; the more the sport grows the more success premium content will also. The more subscribers willing to put money into you guys pockets, the more freedom you have to invest in the further development. It is very much a cyclic process and you can find it all over. The biggest thing here is doing what can be done for now to help grow the sport and you guys are making an excellent effort at that in my opinion; produce quality content.

DG really needs to be shown on TV before it will ever take off, even if it was part of the premium content sports packages it needs to reach a much wider audience. To be fair though, part of me likes the way DG is, its still somewhat a secret; almost like the best next thing that no one has heard about. There is something about the flight of a disc.

I guess I should of pointed out immediately that I understood you guys where a trio of friends who did this out of the love for the sport, not because it was your day job. I understand that a lot of this has the 'all in good time' factor to it, but the important thing is to not close any doors and know what CAN be done as they begin to open. All it takes is the right media exposure and DG can become viral.

I just wanted to share some of my ideas ;D
cajual
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby JR » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:23 am

Mafa really only films rarely so it's mostly lcgm8 doing the heavy lifting in the editing and i was supplying him footage and commentaries, when his health didn't allow filming and much narrating.

I've been doing videos for releasing for three years and two more for own use at crappy resolutions in high speed mode before that. Not a lot of money moves around in DG films even now. Those that want to earn by DG videos need sponsors now. A large part of why we do these videos is to make a marketable product, that is good enough for TV. So far Disc Golf Live has the best coverage on TV and it's mainly night time filler on community TV so not a lot of people get exposed to DG that way. As a natural consequence not a lot of videos are sold either. And of course releasing on Youtube takes a lot of the incentive of buying off of the hard copies.

Now that the PDGA tests the waters of added media exposure people might learn to watch and perhaps buy DG videos in the future. We can't bank anything on that. The first cycle of us paying basically for everything is still on, so no luck in being able to invest in future improvements so far. Other than digging deeper into our pockets. As it is not even DVD quality content pays for itself of the worlds DVDs in under three years.

Avery Jenkins has tried to get DG on TV for at least three years now without success in breaking into prime time in the US. The trouble there is, that you need commercials to pay for the airtime=costs and profits of the TV station. As long as people offering videos don't present legally binding contracts of advertisers to the TV station it is difficult to sell the clip. When there is no clear previously recognized viewer base. I haven't heard of market research being done in the US for media sexiness of DG on TV.

DG has been on Finnish nation wide channels in fairly good times to prime time in short clips around a dozen times so far. Replicating that in other countries is different. So far the programs have aired mostly on state owned channels, that don't need income from commercials. So DG is easier to get broadcasted, because there's no need for a few million dollar contracts. It has helped a lot, that there are disc golfing Finns, that work in TV :-) Maybe that way the US could gain more DG TV exposure on channels, that aren't as dependent on ad money. Once there's precedence and hopefully a running show on small channels, maybe a medium sized channel could pick the idea and so on...

I'm not so sure about the TV being the only way of getting exposure. Newspapers, radio and exhibitions help. Akuf and me held a putting contest and told about the sport to the students of one university of applied sciences students, that came to the traditional school year beginning sports day event. There were so many people there, that we had no way of counting how many people we instructed and how many participated in the putting competition. I offered old and new unused discs of mine as a prize so that may have helped :-) I think there were over 100 students present and participating on that day. In a town of 500 000 with twice that living in neighboring towns within about 14 mile radius. Pretty good coverage for one day. If that could be replicated more often it would add up. Some schools have DG in PE in my town a few times a year. I think it's mostly for kids from 14 years and up. Schools close to DG courses means that it's a minority of schools.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Booter » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:09 am

Need moar vids!
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby JR » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:41 pm

There are only so many hours in a day. lcgm8 has gotten more software and is learning the ropes with them and after it's done there's some great extras footage on the way. We haven't had much luck in getting guest commentators and that has held back the release of some 2010 events and it seems to fall on us to do it ourselves. I dumped a lot of rushed commentary onto his lap yesterday so he'll be busy cutting the bad pieces out and tasking me to take other attempts for a while. During which time i may be able to push forward with the other commentaries to further increase his workload. We need to finalize the old competition videos before we start work on the Dutch Open 2011 videos. It will be a while, before we get to that though.

There are only so few hours in a day paid or not his computers don't render any quicker and the amount of improvements he does in the cutting, to the video and audio and graphics takes a lot of labor. So it probably means, that we can offers some relief from cabin fever, when there's snow on the ground. Asking for more won't increase available hours to working on the videos so the videos will come out, when they will come out. It will be more in months range than weeks i suspect. Save for some tickling extras, that should be ready sooner.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:20 am

Avery Jenkins throwing just before the award ceremony at Tali Open 2011. lcgm8 did not want to make the 3D more compatible across different platforms by changing it to anaglyph.

http://www.youtube.com/user/lcgm8#p/u/1/l2FKSiZPHWE

President's Cup part 3 with Simon Lizotte, Nikko Locastro, Paul McBeth and Karl Johan Nybo:

http://www.youtube.com/user/lcgm8#p/u/0/qYnh4l1fyV4
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:50 pm

PC 2011 part 4 round 2 with Nate Doss, Seppo Paju, Ville Piippo and Will Shusterick. Match play and Europe needs a lot of victories to overcome the stroke play loss:

http://www.youtube.com/user/lcgm8#p/u/1/QBknEFyNmH4

PC 2011 part 5 round 2 with Dave Feldberg, Markus Källström, Jesper Lundmark and Paul Ulibarri:

http://www.youtube.com/user/lcgm8#p/u/0/WE79w-vW2YI
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:33 am

JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:35 pm

JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:34 pm

DO 2011 round 2 part 1 with Ville Piippo, Juho Rantalaiho, Anders Swärd, Maxime Tanghe and Erno Väyrynen:

http://www.youtube.com/user/lcgm8#p/u/0/hxgWN1KVk_k
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:31 am

Here's something different not filmed by me. After competition fireworks in a small Finnish town after LED disc golf event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGYBh1x3SBg
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:54 am

DO round 2 part 2 with some of the throws missing, because of a faulty memory card:

http://www.youtube.com/user/lcgm8#p/u/0/2PPlj4ORhGU
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:31 am

JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:44 am

Kankaanpää Open round 1 part 1 with Jalle Stoor (1007 rated) and Juho Vähätalo:
http://www.youtube.com/user/lcgm8#p/u/0/EiMQ6GKESa4
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:48 am

Kankaanpää Open round 2 part 1 with advanced ams lead card including among others the new Finnish PDGA country coordinator Tapani Aulu:

http://www.youtube.com/user/lcgm8#p/u/0/6GBsFi-EPzM

Round 2 part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/user/lcgm8#p/u/1/NZbXFwpFMOI
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:30 am

Dutch Open 2011 final part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/user/lcgm8?blend ... 7PPryvutbg

DO 2011 final part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/user/lcgm8?blend ... wxYSstNdMQ

Yeah there's a typo and round three hasn't been published. One of my memory cards was starting to die and had caused the first throws of the event to be lost after i had to reformat the card. Because i didn't trust that card for the final i had to use the only large enough card left for round 3 and the final. Which couldn't fit to the card together. So we hastily loaded the files to a laptop of the organizers between round 3 and the final. We almost made it in time to the final for me to set up. Sorry for the missed OB drive of Erno and losing the disc of Sylvain for a while on the first hole of the final. The files of round 3 haven't arrived here so we'll see when that round can get published.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

PreviousNext

Return to Video Critique