PDGA Sanctioned Leagues?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

PDGA Sanctioned Leagues?

Postby Sean40474 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:41 pm

I did a search, but didn't seem to yield any results. If I missed it, please point me in the right direction.

What are folks thoughts about this?

Personally, I'm for it.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Re: PDGA Sanctioned Leagues?

Postby JHern » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:24 pm

It's about time the PDGA started thinking outside-the-box, and getting involved with local disc golf events (which represent the vast majority of disc golf organized events). And it's cheap, too!

Perhaps we can try this with our bag tag league, and see how it goes.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby mobster » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:26 pm

I think it sounds great. The costs seem reasonable and allowing non-PDGA members is a big selling point. There will be some kinks to work out but should grow into something big. I'd love to run one but it's unclear whether the league director has to be an official or tournament director. PDGA Board has more info: http://www.pdga.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=36164
mobster
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Nuke SS

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:12 pm

The League Director will probably have to pass the Officials Test. If it's like regular events, the test might be free for League TDs. Players earn points for their final finish position in league, probably at B-tier level. Since players can enter more than one division over the span of a league, they would get points in the division they finished highest if they were in the final standings for more than one division.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:57 am

This could be a breakthrough for the sport or at least a good way to entice more people to join the PDGA. Time will tell.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Jaysus » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:34 am

There is some talk about our league doing it... most everyone is against it at this point though. Including me.
Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Timko » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:23 am

A couple of issues that Kansas City leagues (all 13 of them) have with this.

* Rules. We have very lax leagues. Disc flipping and gimmes and practice throws are all part of are leagues. If you're going to have PDGA ratings on leagues, your rounds have to be played according to PDGA rules (at least the play rules, maybe not the conduct ones). Would you want official PDGA ratings for people who don't ever make a league putt within 5-7 feet? One of the things I've had to learn is that Kansas City leagues are more about fun than competitiveness. I'm curious how the PDGA plans to enforce rules across leagues. Will leagues have to be played according to PDGA rules? Will the conduct policies be in place?
* Money. Our league currently collects $1 per player for the club. According to the PDGA, we will now pay $0.50 cents to having ratings. Without raising league prices, we won't be giving half of our league income to them.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:34 am

If a KC league is sanctioned, I think you'll find that more critical rules (directly related scoring) are naturally more enforced by the players in that league so "the other guy" doesn't gain an advantage. I bet you have enough players in KC interested in playing more competitively to get rated rounds during the week because their schedule doesn't allow them to play weekend tournaments very often. Leagues are also a lower cost and time alternative to tournament play. Just deduct $2 from your current entry fees with a $1 to the club, $0.50 going to PDGA and $0.50 kicked back to players for league finals prizes.

There are enough players now in many big metro areas to have multiple leagues running simultaneously just like we have sanctioned and unsanctioned events on the same weekend in many areas on several weekends. If I'm a PDGA member bustin' my butt to run a league to the benefit of the other players, I'd much rather be running and playing in a sanctioned league where I can earn ratings when I play.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby joegraham » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:26 pm

How would points work if all players are in a handicap league with all playing in one division?
"Bang da chains!"
joegraham
Noob

Favorite Disc: roc

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:35 pm

See PDGA thread for answer. http://www.pdga.com/discussion/showthre ... 164&page=2
Post #47
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby curt » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:12 pm

Rules. We have very lax leagues. Disc flipping and gimmes and practice throws are all part of are leagues. If you're going to have PDGA ratings on leagues, your rounds have to be played according to PDGA rules (at least the play rules, maybe not the conduct ones). Would you want official PDGA ratings for people who don't ever make a league putt within 5-7 feet? One of the things I've had to learn is that Kansas City leagues are more about fun than competitiveness. I'm curious how the PDGA plans to enforce rules across leagues. Will leagues have to be played according to PDGA rules? Will the conduct policies be in place?

If you're leagues have this kind of atmosphere, they probably don't need to be sanctioned anyway. I sure wouldn't want to have to worry about my rating during a fun round after work, and it is ok to have leagues that simply aren't appropriate for a pdga sanctioning.

***Two disclaimers: I haven't read the pdga thread about this and I'm not criticizing the KC leagues, and I think this is plenty of room for both quite serious leagues and ones less focused on rules and more focused on fun (and this is how most of the weekday events I've played are run)
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby JR » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:28 am

I haven't read the PDGA thread either. Would it make sense for some casual leagues to arrange PDGA sanctioned days every now and then? Other sports have all sort of merit systems to give people something to strive for. Motivation to train more harder and better etc. If a weekly league has a PDGA event once a month or bimonthly the costs aren't gonna skyrocket and it is the most mellow way of getting people to dip their toe in the water and see what their rating is. If people are encouraged to get a rating maybe they will start to compete more and earlier in their career. Some might never compete in PDGA events without a soft start. If this is a way to get more people involved everybody wins in my opinion.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to General Discussion