flattening a disc

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: flattening a disc

Postby archimedesjs » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:57 pm

veganray wrote:Though my "10m" post was intended to be in jest & to ridicule the absurd practice of jump putting, you are correct. I will be signing autographs at Hypocricon 2011, Sunday, December 25 at Our Lady of Victories Catholic Church, in Boston, Massachusetts; don't miss it! Good stalking; keep up the good work, son.

I will leave it to you to make yourself look stupid, and recent history gives me absolute confidence that you will not disappoint.

What was that mess about a safety valve?
archimedesjs
Noob

Favorite Disc: Hydra

Postby inthedrift » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:35 pm

archimedesjs wrote:
veganray wrote:Though my "10m" post was intended to be in jest & to ridicule the absurd practice of jump putting, you are correct. I will be signing autographs at Hypocricon 2011, Sunday, December 25 at Our Lady of Victories Catholic Church, in Boston, Massachusetts; don't miss it! Good stalking; keep up the good work, son.

I will leave it to you to make yourself look stupid, and recent history gives me absolute confidence that you will not disappoint.

What was that mess about a safety valve?

lolz
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:52 pm

Is Timmy Gill breaking the rules [url=He uses his left hand to bend the disc slightly upwards in order to make it more overstable.]here[/url] when he does this: "He uses his left hand to bend the disc slightly upwards in order to make it more overstable. "???
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby JHern » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:23 pm

I still think it would be nice for the PDGA to enforce consistency upon manufacturers. When they submit a disc for approval, but then churn out discs that differ substantially from the approved shape, there is no recourse as a consumer. If they sell plastic with flaws in it that cause it to break or age differently, there is no recourse for the consumer. When they change from flat to domey, or from low PLH to high PLH, changing entirely the flight characteristics, there is no recourse for the consumer.

To enforce consistency standards by putting the onus on the player is silly. And since flattening a disc can't be detected easily, then people will do it anyways.

Note that I have never done this myself. For example, I have some domey ESP Cyclones that I've never used in a round, since they fly nothing like the earlier flat ESP Cyclones I fell in love with (I was seeking more of them). The difference in flights is night and day. I would really be interested, out of intellectual curiosity, to see if flattening these newer runs fixes them, and makes them fly like the old ones (like my 1st ace disc, which I retired). If I did so, then I wouldn't feel good about using them in PDGA-sanctioned tournaments, and I probably wouldn't. But perhaps I could write up a report and send it to Discraft, although they probably don't care (and anyways, they deny that their discs have so much variation).
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Craig » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:37 pm

If I buy a used disc, I have no idea whether its been played with, thrown against a wall, filled with boiling water, left out in the sun by accident, or left out in the sun on purpose. If it appears to have no holes or cracks, and if it doesn't seem to have been modified (stuff glued to it, cut off of it, embedded within it) to make it different from what the PDGA approved, how can you know if you're playing with a legal or illegal disc. Is it maybe more reasonable to say that a disc's "original flight characteristics" should be defined to encompass the range of characteristics that a disc may reasonably exhibit if it conformed to the rules upon purchase and was unmodified other than through normal wear and tear?

A disc has no memory. If the disc is legal for play in its current state, then what does it matter how it reached its current state.

Vegan Ray, while I understand your points, I disagree that anything can turn on what a person knows in their heart of hearts. I don't agree that a disc can be either legal or illegal depending on a person's state of mind.

If you know a disc is non-conforming (objectively speaking - i.e. is over the weight limit or something) and you use it because you know you won't get caught, I agree that is cheating. I agree that breaking rules just because you can get away with it is wrong. I think it's also wrong to be needlessly rude to people over an honest and reasonable disagreement on a message board.
Craig
Tree Magnet

Previous

Return to Rules Discussion