Wet concrete tee pads... cheating?

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Wet concrete tee pads... cheating?

Postby kern9787 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:27 pm

Johnny Walker Red wrote:
ATL Scott wrote:
Johnny Walker Red wrote:Nice diversionary tactic.

Diversionary would be going "hey look over there someone just got an ace" and then pouring water all over the pad. But I wouldn't do that, I follow the rules.

How would that not be following the rules? You are not breaking any rule... just intentionally working the competition. I applaud this behavior. The more people impervious to idiots the better. Breaking the rules isn't an issue. Takes all kinds to stir a pot. Different stokes for different folks.

Chuck Kennedy wrote:There is a rule that says you must play the course as you find it (803.01).
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Dcon67 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:42 am

hmmm...just noticed this thread.

How is it any different as far as the rules are concerned with this guy wetting down the tee versus someone cleaning/sweeping dirt & debris from it. In both situations the course is being altered....so why is one allowed and the other not. Maybe the others in the foursome wanted that extra dirt to be there for traction.
Dcon67
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby himynameismatt » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:23 pm

Dcon67 wrote:hmmm...just noticed this thread.

How is it any different as far as the rules are concerned with this guy wetting down the tee versus someone cleaning/sweeping dirt & debris from it. In both situations the course is being altered....so why is one allowed and the other not. Maybe the others in the foursome wanted that extra dirt to be there for traction.

Honestly it becomes and injury and safety issue.

Clean, dry and debris free pads provide the best grip. Best grip means less prone to slipping and injuring yourself. I know of at least one master aged guy who dislocated his kneecap up here last winter on a wet pad he slipped on, could've happened on a dry pad too I'm sure but probably not as easily.

If your form requires special conditions like slick ground, a wet teepad, or even a super grippy and dry teepad you need to change somethings in your game. Watch the Pro's, they tee off of nearly every material imaginable, and I'm not talking upshots or approaches, drives from grass, gravel, dirt etc.
Wizard - Buzzz - Predator - TD - PD - Destroyer
himynameismatt
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard/Buzzz/PD

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:56 pm

Dry and clean from debris is considered the default condition a tee pad should be in before a round starts. You are always allowed to attempt to return the tee to this condition (sweep it) during the round. A wet tee is not necessarily the default condition for a tee unless it's raining before the round starts. So wetting down the tee is sort of a milder version of cutting down a still attached, dangling limb during the round.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Dcon67 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:08 pm

I agree about the safety thing...and of course I'd want a clean & dry teepad. I just wasn't sure I was buying Chucks argument about the wetting down of the pad being an alteration of the course when sweeping it clearly is allowed. I couldn't see the difference. However, if we agree that a clean, clear, and dry tee is it's assumed default condition when the round starts...now this argument makes more sense to me. Carry on.
Dcon67
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby juju » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:15 pm

Chuck Kennedy wrote:Dry and clean from debris is considered the default condition a tee pad should be in before a round starts. You are always allowed to attempt to return the tee to this condition (sweep it) during the round. A wet tee is not necessarily the default condition for a tee unless it's raining before the round starts. So wetting down the tee is sort of a milder version of cutting down a still attached, dangling limb during the round.

Where in the rulebook is this stated? So, if its raining during the start of a round but the tee is subsequently dry when you get to it, its within the rules to wet the tee?
juju
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: First Run Buzzz

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:50 pm

Read earlier discussion under Obstacles and Relief. Not saying you can wet down a tee pad if it's dry later but it was raining when round started. Just that you might not be able to dry the tee when it's continuously wet at the start of a rainy round.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby pdiddy71 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:01 pm

Is there a rule that regulates tee boxes? I go a to course nearby that is framed by 6 x 6 boards, with bricks layed within. It looks great, and works well when its dry. When it's wet though, it is slick and sometimes dangerous. I was just wondering is there a general directive that concerns this.
pdiddy71
Noob

Favorite Disc: valkyrie / wasp

Postby Itchy » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:30 pm

Bricks or concrete pavers?

I've got a local course with painted sidewalk, dirt, gravel, paver, small concrete blob... you name it... tee boxes. Not sure there's guidance for it, but I'd like to read the answer to that too.
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Postby Fritz » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:17 am

ATL Scott wrote:

Diversionary would be going "hey look over there someone just got an ace" and then pouring water all over the pad. But I wouldn't do that, I follow the rules.

But you aren't following the rules. You are modifying the course. That's a rule violation.

Edit: On top of that, if you were in my group, I'd give you a courtesy violation warning because you just made the tee pad condition unsafe.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby ATL Scott » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:02 am

Fritz wrote:
ATL Scott wrote:

But you aren't following the rules. You are modifying the course. That's a rule violation.

Edit: On top of that, if you were in my group, I'd give you a courtesy violation warning because you just made the tee pad condition unsafe.

Making a teepad wet isn't making it unsafe. All you have to do is throw with better form and no injury will ensue. Or you could just back off a little and still throw with crappy form. How else do people play in the rain every time it rains? Or every time I pour water on the pad?

FYI I have started only pouring water on the area my plant foot will end up. Now that's courteous.
If you watch fight club backward you see a psychologically troubled man become a successful and productive member of society.
ATL Scott
Noob

Favorite Disc: ching rocs

Postby Fritz » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:18 am

ATL Scott wrote:
Fritz wrote:
ATL Scott wrote:

Making a teepad wet isn't making it unsafe. All you have to do is throw with better form and no injury will ensue. Or you could just back off a little and still throw with crappy form. How else do people play in the rain every time it rains? Or every time I pour water on the pad?

FYI I have started only pouring water on the area my plant foot will end up. Now that's courteous.

Nothing wrong with my form. I have great form. If it's not raining, I shouldn't have to modify my form to throw on a teepad that should be dry, that players in the other groups won't be exposed to. You cannot use the same form in wet conditions that you use in dry conditions. And I bet the majority of players would agree with that statement.
Your run up changes, your power allocations for leg power change and your grip changes.

If it's raining, EVERYONE in the tournament is exposed to that condition, and EVERYONE has had to make the necessarily adjustments to their form.
Play during wet conditions for the majority of players is more conservative and less distance.
You pouring water on the teepad only exposes your group to modified conditions, causing your group to make adjustments that other players don't have to make, giving you an advantage and the other players in your group a disadvantage.

Wet + Concrete = Unsafe plain and simple. Or we could just all run around at the pool and not worry about slipping on our ass.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby chainbanger » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:16 pm

this thread is epic
I need your new old stock JLS'S
chainbanger
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: JLS

Postby Itchy » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:35 pm

chainbanger wrote:this thread is epic

Nah, this is bush league trolling... you want to see some good troll, check out a phatbeater post.
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Previous

Return to Rules Discussion