Why is innova trying so hard?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Why is innova trying so hard?

Postby phatbeater » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:08 pm

Hey guys this is just a general topic but I find it ridiculous that Innova is trying soooooooooo hard to pump out discs and most of them are basically a slightly different version of another that everyone already has and trusts. I used to be an all Innova discgolfer. When I first started I through innova for about a year. When I first started I lost a lot of discs. My favorite of the innova lineup was the valkyrie. I lost 3 of them and have purchased 5. 2 out of the 5 flew like they were supposed too (even though I got them from the same place and from the same shipment) as well as other discs like wraiths and others. They were basically the only disc company that I new and was biased. Then I found some discraft discs. I didn't throw them for months because I only like to throw one brand, Idk why I just do. So I found an esp surge and glo nuke and threw them and was immediately hooked. I started trying out other discraft discs and I have bought multiples of them and all of them flew exactly like the brother that I had before. I have yet to use a brand that had such a consistent blend of plastics and flight characteristics. I'm not trying to bash innova since I know that there are a boat load of followers and die-hard fans. I just don't really know why Innova is just trying to flood the market the so many discs, especially when they are only throwing out max distance drivers, when they should be perfecting what they already have. I know that Discraft has had their problems before and everyone does, but I do know that discraft has had many discs before that didn't work and they took them off the market, like the torque/torq that they released in 2006. They took it off the their lineup because dependability is important to them and they were getting reports that they weren't performing up to standards. Sorry for the rant guys, not trying to convert anyone here to what I throw I just wish that companies like innova would focus moreso on the quality of their product moreso then sheer profit and marketing.
Driver: 175g z stalker, 2x174g surge, 174g z predator, 174g flx Avenger SS, 174g esp pulse, 174g z force
Mid-range: 178g FLX, Z, TI buzzz, 177g z wasp, 177 flx drone, 177g meteor
Putter: 175g flx challenger, 2x175g softapx, 2x175 pro-d challenger
phatbeater
Noob

Favorite Disc: Discraft buzzz

Re: Why is innova trying so hard?

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:24 pm

They makes what sells.

Also my favorite DC disc of all time, the pred, suffers pretty greatly from consistency problems. All disc manufacturers have consistency problems, its inherent in the way they make discs and don't really bother controlling a lot of factors that affect consistency.

Also I bet DC stopped making the torque b/c it sold like crap.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Mike C » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:59 pm

Yeah, DC suffers from this problem too. It might not be quite as bad as Innova, but they do it. I've had Buzzes that faded out hard at the end and would not hold an anny, and Buzzes that throw on a hyzer would flip to flat and never fade back. I've had Preds so overstable they'd go less than 300' on my hardest throw, and I've had Preds that would fly 380' dead straight before they even thought about fading. Cryztal Z Nukes start out flying great for a Max D driver but regular Z Nukes are more understable than I would like. I dropped Stalkers because I had one that was overstable, some that were straight, some that were flippy - and my straight ones would be straight, straight, straight, then suddenly out of nowhere they just got flippy on me, like throw them hyzer and they turn over and hold a right turn flippy. They flew nice for a month but then became rollers. There are variations everywhere.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby jubuttib » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:01 pm

And Innova makes a lot more discs than Discraft could dream of (at the moment), so their inconsistencies are more visible.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:10 pm

my buddy has an XL that throws like a glow FL. It's actually kinda a cool disc and it is funny to watch him throw it into a headwind with people who don't know it is a freak XL. They think he's some kind of disc master being able to control an XL that well into strong headwinds.

That said, DC doesn't usually just tweak a mold of a popular disc without telling anyone.
Frank Delicious

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:11 pm

also why throw only one company unless you are getting paid by them to do so? You're missing out on a ton of awesome discs.
Frank Delicious

Postby Booter » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:18 pm

Driver: 174g z stalker, 174g z predator, 174g flx Avenger SS, 174g esp pulse
Mid-range: 177g flx buzzz, 177g z wasp, 177 flx drone
Putter: 175g flx challenger, 175g soft apx

i dont find it surprising this cat made a thread about hating innova.
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:20 pm

Well he did say he throws all DC in the post.
Frank Delicious

Postby phatbeater » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:49 pm

Not hating on innova, just asked a question. And I've thrown other brands and didn't like them, so not missing out on other brands. Just wondering if someone coulda answered that question. So Booter and everyone else calm down.
Driver: 175g z stalker, 2x174g surge, 174g z predator, 174g flx Avenger SS, 174g esp pulse, 174g z force
phatbeater
Noob

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:52 pm

what didn't you like about the other brands?
Frank Delicious

Postby phatbeater » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:01 pm

I didn't like how they felt in my hand and I just have always liked dc's plastic. When I have bought multiple discs of the same plastic and weight they flew exactly like the other. That is my personal experience. Like I said this wasn't supposed to be an innova hate group thread, if that's what everyone thinks then I apologize. I have thrown innova, dc, latitude 64, vibram, dga and few others and just didn't like them. This is my PERSONAL opinion. I know plenty of ppl kick ass with other brands and I'm not doggin them in that aspect. I have thrown plenty of DC discs that I didn't like, but the ones that I liked all just happened to be DC and fly well for me. I was just wondering about the marketing aspect.
phatbeater
Noob

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:06 pm

You don't like DGA? Why not?
Frank Delicious

Postby bcr123psu » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:10 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:You don't like DGA? Why not?

That's what I was going to ask.
bcr123psu
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: The one in my brakes

Postby himynameismatt » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:20 pm

Innova gave us the Eagle, Teebird, Aviar, Roc, Destroyer, Wraith, etc. Each of those not only sets the standard in terms of performance in it's respective class but also sets the standard in terms of sales as well. With a lineup like theirs you can afford to turn out the occasional Groove or Monarch.
Wizard - Buzzz - Predator - TD - PD - Destroyer
himynameismatt
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard/Buzzz/PD

Postby phatbeater » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:11 pm

The only disc that I liked from dga was the reef. Great putter, but for my putting style it didn't work out as well for me. I will say though that DGA does make the best practice basket for the price the dga machlite! All the discs you mentioned himynameismatt ARE some of the Innova staple discs and in the community. But if you read my Post FULLY you would have understood that I was asking why they are pumping out discs that fly similar to others like the Archon it doesn't fly anything like the wraith it is way less understable and isn't promoted as such.
phatbeater
Noob

Next

Return to General Discussion