Mixed doubles

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Mixed doubles

Postby Cermit » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:33 am

What is a normal format/rules for playing mixed doubles? What rules/format did they for example use in the mixed doubles at the worlds 2011?
Cermit
Noob
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:34 am
Favorite Disc: R-pro Xd

Re: Mixed doubles

Postby keltik » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:40 am

Best shot?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator
User avatar
 
Posts: 3382
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: High Point NC
Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Re: Mixed doubles

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:24 pm

One round, usually the second, is alternate shot.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1652
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:42 pm
Location: Twin Cities

Re: Mixed doubles

Postby Fritz » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:30 pm

Sometimes we like to do 6 holes best shot, 6 holes alternate shot and 6 holes worst shot.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic
User avatar
 
Posts: 4675
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:01 pm
Location: Fruita, CO
Favorite Disc: QMS

Re: Mixed doubles

Postby Cermit » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:39 pm

So the first round best shot and the second alternate is common?

6+6+6 sound interesting!
Cermit
Noob
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:34 am
Favorite Disc: R-pro Xd

Re: Mixed doubles

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:52 pm

Worst shot is a poor format in general (vs Tough Shot) and especially inappropriate when partners tend to be wider in skill level as with mixed dubs.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1652
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:42 pm
Location: Twin Cities

Re: Mixed doubles

Postby JHern » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:26 pm

Cermit wrote:What is a normal format/rules for playing mixed doubles? What rules/format did they for example use in the mixed doubles at the worlds 2011?


My wife and I ran the mixed doubles event for 2011 Pro Worlds. The morning round was best shot, over 18 holes at Pinto Lake. The afternoon round was alternate tee off (one player takes odds, the other evens) and alternate shot up until they holed out on each hole, over the original 18 holes at DeLaveaga.

This is a fun event, and I saw the best spirits and camaraderie of the entire tournament during the doubles event. And the competition was great. Jesper and Camilla were neck-and-neck with Paul and Catrina (leader card), all the way up to the last hole (top of the world). Jesper and Paul were teeing off on even holes, Camilla and Catrina on odd holes. Jesper's tee shot off top of the world was great, but caught a little wind gust and it floated OB into the road (making par very difficult)...Paul laid up for the easy par, and the win.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!
User avatar
 
Posts: 2620
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:50 am
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Favorite Disc: Clutch

Re: Mixed doubles

Postby Cermit » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:23 am

Thanks for the great answer, Jhern!

Just to make it clear, does Alternate tee shot mean that you choose who starts on each hole and alternate the hole out and start over the process on each hole? Or is it like ordinary alternate when you alternate all round through?

This seem like a very fun way to play together when you are at different levels and have different skills.
Cermit
Noob
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:34 am
Favorite Disc: R-pro Xd

Re: Mixed doubles

Postby chunk » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:12 pm

Cermit wrote:Thanks for the great answer, Jhern!

Just to make it clear, does Alternate tee shot mean that you choose who starts on each hole and alternate the hole out and start over the process on each hole? Or is it like ordinary alternate when you alternate all round through?

This seem like a very fun way to play together when you are at different levels and have different skills.

my interpretaion is that one player tees off all odd holes and the other all even holes, and subsequent shots are alternated until the team holes out. for example player a tees holes 1, 3, 5, etc. and player b tees off holes 2, 4, 6, etc. second shots alternat so player a shoots second on holes 2, 4, 6 and player b 1, 3, 5 blah blah blah on down the line.
what would willie do?
chunk
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:51 am
Location: Virginia
Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Re: Mixed doubles

Postby MR. WICK » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:44 am

chunk wrote:
Cermit wrote:Thanks for the great answer, Jhern!

Just to make it clear, does Alternate tee shot mean that you choose who starts on each hole and alternate the hole out and start over the process on each hole? Or is it like ordinary alternate when you alternate all round through?

This seem like a very fun way to play together when you are at different levels and have different skills.

my interpretaion is that one player tees off all odd holes and the other all even holes, and subsequent shots are alternated until the team holes out. for example player a tees holes 1, 3, 5, etc. and player b tees off holes 2, 4, 6, etc. second shots alternat so player a shoots second on holes 2, 4, 6 and player b 1, 3, 5 blah blah blah on down the line.


The way that is played is that every shot has to stay in the correct order. Example player A tees off, B throws the upsot, A makes the putt, B tees off, A makes the upshot, b misses the putt, A makes the putt, B tees off. You have to alternate all the time. If player A holes out the putt, he can't be the one to tee off on the next hole.

From PDGA
Alternate Shot
In Alternate Shot, only one sequence of throws is made on each hole. The team selects a player to throw the tee shot at the beginning of the round. The other player then throws from the subsequent lie, and play alternates in that fashion until the round is completed. Alternate Shot is closer to a singles format, where one partner can't bail the other out. If you miss a short putt, chances are good that you'll be driving the next hole.
If the wrong player on a team throws, another team must call it immediately, like a foot fault. The team receives a warning, and the correct player throws. Subsequent violations incur a one-throw penalty.
For any violation that requires a rethrow (stance violation, provisional throw), the same player throws
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler
User avatar
 
Posts: 2363
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:58 am
Location: Connecticut
Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Re: Mixed doubles

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:04 pm

Mixed doubles uses "Structured Alternate Shot" not regular Alternate Shot per the PDGA rules where, as has been stated by chunk and others above, one player always tees off on odd holes and the other on even holes regardless who putts out on the previous hole.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1652
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:42 pm
Location: Twin Cities

Re: Mixed doubles

Postby JHern » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:26 pm

Chuck Kennedy wrote:Mixed doubles uses "Structured Alternate Shot" not regular Alternate Shot per the PDGA rules where, as has been stated by chunk and others above, one player always tees off on odd holes and the other on even holes regardless who putts out on the previous hole.


^^^^ Exactly...

One thing I forgot to mention is that in the best shot round, each player had to tee off a minimum of 6 times during the round. That way, they couldn't always take the guys' tee shots, the ladies' tee shots had to be used a minimum of 6 times. I made the score cards with "M F" printed for each hole, so the players could circle which player's tee shot was used.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!
User avatar
 
Posts: 2620
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:50 am
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Favorite Disc: Clutch

Re: Mixed doubles

Postby money 21 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:46 pm

we did 2 rounds best shot and each play had to have at least 7 drives used. worked really well easy to understand and flowed well.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, beeline, lace, olace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1783
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:18 pm
Favorite Disc: Z XS


Return to Rules Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest