The "Incomplete" Secret Technique

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The "Incomplete" Secret Technique

Postby JHern » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:50 pm

Blake_T wrote:for a heel pivot, the more bend, the less knee strain...

I spent a little time trying to get a heel pivot like Nate Doss or Josh Anthon, but it isn't as easy as it looks...

Here's Josh from the same tee and at similar times in the throwing motion...

They both have bent plant knees (about 20-30 degrees from straight), push off the back foot while coming into and out of the right pec position (borrowing Blake's terminology), and they both lift the toes of their plant foot to release the heel pivot during the hit. If they didn't release the heel pivot, they would probably blow their knees out in a short time. But this kind of motion isn't easy to do, just try it yourself. For example, look at the way the legs get all crossed up at the rip. What isn't shown in this series of pics is what happens afterward...their momentum carries them forward and they shift their weight onto their plant foot's toes to finish their pivot off the front of the tee. The transfer from heel to toe pivot occurs when the foot is pointed roughly in the direction of the throw.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby JR » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:33 pm

Blake_T wrote:yes, jesper has a very good power pocket.

Unfortunately, my grip is not strong enough to transfer the energy fast enough before the disc slips out.

it works better with narrow deep rims.

Banjar have you got a Vibram Ascent, Trak and if an Ibex has equal grip that should help too? It's around 7C here and the Trak and Ascent are the only discs i can throw successfully with a two finger grip. Well FLX Buzzz too, but it ain't a driver. After washing the lube off of Vibram discs the combination of surface pattern and the grip of the rubber gives easily the best results out of any discs out there. I have X-Link material. And you must wash off the lube or the grip won't be any different from primo plastics.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby zj1002 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:26 am

I had no clue where to post this finding or what it really means

I was doing a basic clinic at work, just going over drills with people looking to improve.

We had some pvc pipes laying around at work that were maybe around 1 ft long. I used these similar to what blake explained in the "pen/dowel drill". Basically tried to show them how they would need to get the opposite head around while pulling tight through the body. These pvc pipes had a cap on each end. I threw one in slow-mo(half speed) to show them what I was talking about. The second pvc pipe, I threw at full power. When I did this the cap I was holding on to stayed in my hand(I didn't let go), and the rest of the pipe shot forward out of the cap that was in my hand. On my backswing, the cap shot straight backward out of my hand(I almost hit a participant who was 15ft behind me). I managed to pull this off a couple of times, and not just with the same pipe just to make sure it wasn't a lose cap.

If anything it helped me show the group how important it is to not let go of the disc. It was pretty crazy and surprised me the first time it happens. I imagine this just means my grip was tight enough and that I was creating enough leverage to force it out of the end cap.
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby MrScoopa » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:25 pm

I've had a similar situation with a towel ripping out of my hand and shooting across the room flying carpet style.
T-SWORD, C-ORC, C-FD, S-TL, C-Roadrunner, Z-Buzz, O-Fuse, M-ION
MrScoopa
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Valkyrie

Postby zj1002 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:33 pm

well I was trying to throw the pipe. I just didn't expect the cap to stay in my hand and then shoot straight backwards(while the pipe went about 100ft forward)
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Whiz » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:02 pm

So I had a revelation today. I think I realized what I need to be doing to "snap" the towel (and hopefully a disc). I focused on staying loose and punching the elbow forward toward the target. I was able to get a good wrist bounce which I then resisted and was able to get some snap on the towel. I think a couple issues were preventing me from snapping the towel. I was not staying loose and was bringing the disc/my right hand into my right pec way too late and my shoulders were opening way too early as a result. I was also then losing the stopping of the shoulders that (I think) are what allow the forearm to swing forward. I am really excited to try to replicate this feel with both the towel and discs in the field. I will report back with results.
E* DD2, Wraith, Glow Firebird, S-P-C PD, TD, Leopard, Roc, KC Aviar
Whiz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: S Wiz/S PD

Postby USAnarchy » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:39 am

Whiz wrote:So I had a revelation today. I think I realized what I need to be doing to "snap" the towel (and hopefully a disc). I focused on staying loose and punching the elbow forward toward the target. I was able to get a good wrist bounce which I then resisted and was able to get some snap on the towel. I think a couple issues were preventing me from snapping the towel. I was not staying loose and was bringing the disc/my right hand into my right pec way too late and my shoulders were opening way too early as a result. I was also then losing the stopping of the shoulders that (I think) are what allow the forearm to swing forward. I am really excited to try to replicate this feel with both the towel and discs in the field. I will report back with results.

Congrats!!!

Now work that drill a few hundred times until its second nature!
Accuracy is Slow. Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast. Fast is Far.
The Less Effort, The Faster and More Powerful You Will Be - Bruce Lee
Know What You Throw. Throw What You Know.
It's Not A Routine If You Have To Think About It.
-=| Click Here To See What's Currently In My Bag |=-
USAnarchy
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Dookville » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:19 pm

Did the secret get shared, or is it still Incomplete?
"JimW wrote:
Every time I've ever tried to implement any of the advice from on here to get more distance on my drives it has ended up wrecking my game completely for a while.
Dookville
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PAIN

Postby Star Shark » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:30 pm

It's still being worked on. Every once in a while, one of the 3 B's <Blake, Brad, Beto> will come up with a new idea that helps them refine and solidify the theory a bit more. They post, thread becomes more active.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby Blake_T » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:13 am

i have what i "think" will finish it off.

i haven't had enough feedback from students or worked with enough locals to see if it will work for almost everyone.

you can blame the local peeps that didn't find time to do lesson work.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby archimedesjs » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:20 pm

Anybody that has direct physical access to you, and does not take full advantage of it is a complete fool.
archimedesjs
Noob

Favorite Disc: Hydra

Postby inthedrift » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:30 pm

archimedesjs wrote:Anybody that has direct physical access to you, and does not take full advantage of it is a complete fool.

This.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has considered packing it up for Minnesota for this very reason.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby Blake_T » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:05 am

hehe. you'd be disappointed if you moved here for that. i really don't get out to play much, partly because of my knee, partly because it's not as fun for me as it once was.

the key is always doing "beneficial training." which basically means, a crapload of reps while making fine adjustments until you reach a point where you need further instruction to advance more. this has been the blocking point for most.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby USAnarchy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:25 am

Blake_T wrote:the key is always doing "beneficial training." which basically means, a crapload of reps while making fine adjustments until you reach a point where you need further instruction to advance more. this boring for most.

FTFY

It does really get boring and tedious (which in turn truly is a blocking point for most) when you are trying to make minute adjustments to your throw. this is where the mental aspect of my disc golf game is being worked on!

Ive spent this whole year rehabing my shoulder from partially tearing my labrum and rotator cuff last November and this past month ive really been working on these techniques which according to my wife looks like im doing stop motion movies.... basically exaggerating each movement, slowly, carefully, with intent. Once i feel like i have the correct order of moves and their timing set in my mind, i will slowly start to link them together, and after a while i will try to slowly perform each movement a little faster.

looking at video of my throw now, slowed way down, im starting to get closer to having my elbow fully extended and pulling the disc in to the pocket before coming through to the hit. but as always, its a work in progress.
Accuracy is Slow. Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast. Fast is Far.
The Less Effort, The Faster and More Powerful You Will Be - Bruce Lee
Know What You Throw. Throw What You Know.
It's Not A Routine If You Have To Think About It.
-=| Click Here To See What's Currently In My Bag |=-
USAnarchy
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Whiz » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:42 am

Let's see that video Anarchy :-)
E* DD2, Wraith, Glow Firebird, S-P-C PD, TD, Leopard, Roc, KC Aviar
Whiz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: S Wiz/S PD

PreviousNext