the fucks up with disc golf and drama queens

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: the fucks up with disc golf and drama queens

Postby new013 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:50 pm

I do quite a bit of work at my home course.. cuz it's in my yard.
"F*ck... here comes that guy New013."
new013
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TL

Postby JR » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:24 pm

Mike C wrote:
new013 wrote:I met a guy a couple of weeks ago and played a round with him and when i asked him if he played tourneys he pretty much summed it all up..

"Hell no, Tourney kids are douchebags"

Pretty much. I had played with this local pro since I started DG...he traded me my first Buzz, showed my what a FH grip looks like and we've had a lot of good rounds together. I thought we were cool. But fall of 2010 I played a non-sanctioned monster tourney for fun. I got there late and my partner had signed us up for B group (He was a B player and I never do tournies so I didn't even know where I should sign up). After we won our division and I'm picking out my discs that local pro comes over and starts giving me shit calling me a sand bagger and saying shit like oh look at Mike thinks he's badass cause he can throw 400 but then has to play B class just to get a payout. Again this is a guy I had considered a friend up until that day, I had been to his house and traded discs with him, bullshitted about DG etc. I didn't even pick which group we were in, I literally got there, hopped out of my car and teed off, I didn't even warm up.

Tournies seriously bring out the worst in people...not to mention how a 1.5 hour round ends up taking 5 hours. I'm going to invest in some good sport headphones for this year, since I plan on competing.

Behind the head support is great for avoiding the headphones flying off at the worst possible time during driving.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby EL-KABONG! » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:06 am

Mike C wrote:Tournies seriously bring out the worst in people...not to mention how a 1.5 hour round ends up taking 5 hours. I'm going to invest in some good sport headphones for this year, since I plan on competing.

True ^
And I could ALMOST understand it if there was something remotely worth 'winning'.

Anymore, if there is a free toaster and a Champ Groove Xout at stake, people get all shitty....even knowing they don't want or need either.
EL-KABONG!
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: SWORD

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:56 am

Tourneys aren't about winning merch for the people who get super competitive, it is about pitting themselves against other players and beating them.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby juju » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:22 am

FTFY

Frank Delicious wrote:Tourneys aren't about winning merch for the people who get super competitive, it is about pitting themselves against other players and destroying them.
juju
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: First Run Buzzz

Postby EL-KABONG! » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:19 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:Tourneys aren't about winning merch for the people who get super competitive, it is about pitting themselves against other players and beating them.

Agreed...to a point.
There is something about adding even a few bucks or even the crappiest prizes tho, that really brings out the douchebaggery.

And I realize not everyone is like that ^, but ALOT are.
EL-KABONG!
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: SWORD

Postby Jeronimo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:09 pm

I meant to say this earlier:

Somebody order a drama queen? 8)
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby cfair » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:41 am

Maybe I don't know what this thread is about but I have been wondering the same thing myself MikeC. Last time I played with a queer her/his heels kept sticking in the ground. I'm pretty sure they were setting off their pivot. That and the complaining got old by hole 6, last time I play with Frank and BroD.
cfair
Tree Magnet

Postby JHern » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:37 am

Yesterday I went to a membership drive/BBQ for one of the local clubs, the Monterey Stinging Jellies. They just unveiled their expansion to two 18 hole courses.

While I was there, I had a discussion with some folks about how little drama and infighting there is in the local disc golf scene. It is really great, I can't think of another time I've been involved with something this large and there was so much camaraderie and good will. That's not to say that there are no problems at all...there are a few old grudges among a few people, but they still shake one another's hands and are happy to be out playing disc golf.

Then I was reminded of this particular DGR thread, which proposed that the total opposite is true. I don't know what goes wrong in other places, but you should know that it isn't always like that...
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Jesse B 707 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:00 am

JHern wrote:Yesterday I went to a membership drive/BBQ for one of the local clubs, the Monterey Stinging Jellies. They just unveiled their expansion to two 18 hole courses.

While I was there, I had a discussion with some folks about how little drama and infighting there is in the local disc golf scene. It is really great, I can't think of another time I've been involved with something this large and there was so much camaraderie and good will. That's not to say that there are no problems at all...there are a few old grudges among a few people, but they still shake one another's hands and are happy to be out playing disc golf.

Then I was reminded of this particular DGR thread, which proposed that the total opposite is true. I don't know what goes wrong in other places, but you should know that it isn't always like that...

As someone who has played alot in the SC area and knows a fair amount of locals there, you guys are no different from anywhere else.......plenty of drama goin on
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Pwingles » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:11 pm

Drama is stupid but unavoidable. Do your best to change it or at least dont contribute to that mess, be an example. If you arent making things better, youre making them worse. Why should people take disc golf seriously as a legit competetive thing if everywhere you go there is drama and grown men acting like children about idiotic insignificant bs? Same shit in my area but in the last 2 years its gotten better, more comradery and less tolerance for assholes setting disc golfs image back and making everything less fun in general
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby JHern » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:47 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote:As someone who has played alot in the SC area and knows a fair amount of locals there, you guys are no different from anywhere else.......plenty of drama goin on

There are always things you can call "drama." But things don't flare up so bad that it causes major rifts or interruptions, and people find their own way to bury the hatchet so that everyone still has fun, and people still come together to do a lot of amazing things as a community. There is no over-arching sense of tension, people are pretty chill.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby cfair » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:42 pm

^^

funny how forgiveness and humility can go so far.
cfair
Tree Magnet

Postby BrotherDave » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:17 pm

Uh, yeah well, eat a dick CFair.

*fulfills DG drama quota for the week*

Welp, see you boys at the pub.
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby new013 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:06 pm

I wonder how that bird in your avatar tastes BroD?
"F*ck... here comes that guy New013."
new013
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TL

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.