MVP Ion

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: MVP Ion

Postby Steve » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:54 pm

Hoey wrote:
Steve wrote:
Loop wrote:Okay, thanks guys. :)

I just ordered a 175g Medium Eclipse Ion. They only had yellow ones in 175g. So I just bought one, to test it out, and possibly use it for throwing after I get my hands on some red ones. 8)

But for the moment, it shall be used in my indoor putting practice.

cheers!

Red is actually pink. Orange is closer to red.

I just don't see that color as pink... maybe a light red at best imho.

But this could just be me.

Axis and Vector going strong in the bag...
Probably adding a Medium Ion to test out throwing off the tee.

It's Komen Pink
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Loop » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:01 pm

Used the Soft ION for putting today in a competition... For 3 holes. Then threw it to the trunk of our car and put a FR-P2 back to the bag...

Yeah the ION works when you're practicing and doing everything "perfect", with no fear, but it utterly BLOWS when it's the real deal. Plus it goes right through a bad basket.
For me, ION will be the stable driving putter of choice from now on, but I'll leave putting duty to a disc that does it the best; the P2.
P1|P2|rhy|MD2|roc3|FD|FB|TD|PD|PD2
Loop
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FR D-P2

Postby discspeed » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:59 pm

Loop wrote:Used the Soft ION for putting today in a competition... For 3 holes. Then threw it to the trunk of our car and put a FR-P2 back to the bag...

Yeah the ION works when you're practicing and doing everything "perfect", with no fear, but it utterly BLOWS when it's the real deal. Plus it goes right through a bad basket.
For me, ION will be the stable driving putter of choice from now on, but I'll leave putting duty to a disc that does it the best; the P2.

Sounds like a confidence issue more than any property of the Ion. How can a putter be good in practice, but BLOW in competition? Although I will say that I don't like putting short putts with soft Ions...I think they are more nose angle sensitive than the mediums and can really climb fast when you get too much nose up.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Loop » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:35 pm

discspeed wrote:
Loop wrote:Used the Soft ION for putting today in a competition... For 3 holes. Then threw it to the trunk of our car and put a FR-P2 back to the bag...

Sounds like a confidence issue more than any property of the Ion. How can a putter be good in practice, but BLOW in competition? Although I will say that I don't like putting short putts with soft Ions...I think they are more nose angle sensitive than the mediums and can really climb fast when you get too much nose up.

You're probably right, but I'm drunk. So I dont care. :D
Loop
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:23 pm

You should see Swan2 in cold weather. The only thing it won't push out of the way is the pole. And it skirts around the pole easily moving the chains from the way. And there's no fear allowed in putting. Practice or otherwise. Fear makes you throw worse than you can. So what's the use of fearing? Get rid of it.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Loop » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:56 am

JR wrote:And there's no fear allowed in putting. Practice or otherwise. Fear makes you throw worse than you can. So what's the use of fearing? Get rid of it.

Done.
Loop
Tree Magnet

Postby jubuttib » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:19 pm

Got a red/pinkish soft Eclipse in today, and it's just beautiful. The white overmold looks so good, I think I might stop buying the regulars altogether.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby juju » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:52 pm

jubuttib wrote:Got a red/pinkish soft Eclipse in today, and it's just beautiful. The white overmold looks so good, I think I might stop buying the regulars altogether.

juju
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: First Run Buzzz

Postby Fightingthetide » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:33 pm

For those who use Ion's as an approach disc - I have a 170 Medium and 172 Soft that seem to glide just a little too much for me to get an easy range on them when it comes under 100'. I love them for putting and driving. They also seem to slide/skip a lot more, which I almost expect because of the plastic. Should I stick with what I have, or get a max weight Ion? Or just use something with less glide?
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:42 pm

Play the skip.

Seriously.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby jubuttib » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:42 pm

I haven't noticed that much difference in glide between my 171 and max weight IONs. I solved it by adding a Basic JOKERi, which also complements the ION in other respects too.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Fightingthetide » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:51 pm

I figure I'll just keep practicing.

I have a 166 Pro Rhyno that works much better. It's like a lightweight brick that sits down where I tell it to.

I guess my next question is whether people find the need to compliment the Ion with something like a Rhyno or JOKERi? (I see one "yes" so far) Wondering if I can get away with less molds. Right now for putters I have Rhynos, Ions, and Aviar P&A's...and I'm wanting to try an Anode when it comes out.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Flipflat » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:03 pm

Fightingthetide wrote:I figure I'll just keep practicing.

I have a 166 Pro Rhyno that works much better. It's like a lightweight brick that sits down where I tell it to.

I guess my next question is whether people find the need to compliment the Ion with something like a Rhyno or JOKERi? (I see one "yes" so far) Wondering if I can get away with less molds. Right now for putters I have Rhynos, Ions, and Aviar P&A's...and I'm wanting to try an Anode when it comes out.

Ion, Zone combo works pretty good.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:09 pm

The Ion is more than stable enough for me, I actual have a couple of SB aviars in the bag for the turnover shots until I can get an Anode to test or an Ion beat in to flippy.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Fightingthetide » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:13 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:The Ion is more than stable enough for me, I actual have a couple of SB aviars in the bag for the turnover shots until I can get an Anode to test or an Ion beat in to flippy.

That's what I'm thinking of doing too. I figure I can get an Ion to do the same things as a Rhyno, just with less power. My DX Aviar P&A's are great at turnover shots, and I'm interested to hear how Anodes fly, though I don't expect them to be flippy or to turn right from flat.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment