Critique my backhand

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Critique my backhand

Postby zpitman135 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:36 pm

zpitman135
Noob

Favorite Disc: Supersoft Wizard

Re: Critique my backhand

Postby seabas22 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:26 pm

Footwork, balance and timing. Looks like you are strong arming it, pulling too hard early and your left/rear power side gets left behind the throw and doesn't squeeze against the right/front side. I'd slow your backswing a tad so you hit max reachback as the front foot lands. Also slow the footwork or work from a standstill so that you really accelerate through the hit. The way you bring your front foot/leg forward is funky, it should glide more toward the target. Your weight needs to be further forward in order to get that foot glide. Your weight is back quite a bit going to the x-step and the x-step is quite deep. I think you are trying to force your weight back and then forward which makes you lift the front side up as it's moving forward. Try being more weight centered through the throw and lighter on the feet/toes and bringing the right foot forward straighter toward the right side of the tee pad more and planting a little more toward the right.

Watch how Steve uses the left arm and delays the pull with the right, also watch how his front foot glides forward.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xjn5ve4HO4
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby zpitman135 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:03 pm

Ok cool. Thank you. I'm pretty much self taught so I know i have a lot to learn. I'm learning fast though. I have a limited knowledge about footwork so i'm definitely looking to fix that.
zpitman135
Noob

Postby jenb » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:00 pm

Study these.

:p
jenb
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: judge

Postby JR » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:56 pm

Hi and welcome. You came to the right place for form review.

Overstepping the tee is bad for health, gives you a penalty if the disc hasn't ripped and you're called on it and makes critique not accurate on how you would drive normally. Not to mention huge variances in aiming.

Your arm swings in hyzer fashion and the follow through step lands in hyzer spot (left of the running direction) while the running direction is anny. Limits of flexibility and therefore inconsistencies can occur there. I would see what keeping waist posture straighter through all axes does for distance, accuracy and consistency. It will take a lot of drives to determine accurately what the differences are. Hundreds preferably to a minimum of 50 in field practice in calm warm weather with hard dry ground. Theoretically a straighter posture should be better. And you need to be able to maintain posture in the follow through too for best results. It may require stomach and back muscle workouts and obliques will surely help in D.

How often do you miss angles nose and hyzer? If you ever get those issues i'd test making a pre throw stand still pre whip or not at all then check the disc orientation in the hand and only then start to move for the real throw. I've heard that the pre swing is only effective for 6 seconds so the throw must be completed before that. It was just one study and this is second hand info so i have no clue as to the real situation. Once you train you can tense up the outer layers of the arm muscles momentarily standing still then do a mental exercise of when you accelerate the arm and then do the throw pretty violently.

With little practice i got it to feel almost to as good as the pre swinging during the throw on good days. It probably also depends on how warmed up and rested you are. I have too little no pre swing experience lately to say how it goes. Because i can't hold on to the disc long enough any differences with the methods dissipate there. I can only relate how the arm working feeling goes. It doesn't make a huge difference in distance for me. When i adopted the pre swing during the motion it gave me extra distance but only around 10' IIRC. That is usually not worth the extra variations in angles. for me it is nigh impossible to throw with the same form at high speeds where the extra D is a requirement. Former swimmer with no balance. Little power in balance muscles after having been supported by buoyancy i think. No need for coordination training in swimming.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby zpitman135 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:55 pm

Thank you. Yeah I didnt even realize I was overstepping the tee until i watched the video haha. The reason I'm throwing a Hyzer yet running on an anny line is the hole is straight for about 325 with a right turn after so i was hyzer flipping to flat then getting the right turn at the end. It is really a forehand hole but i can only forehand about 300. Ill try different postures next time i go out. I took the prethrow out of my motion already. the reason i did it at first was to make sure i was starting slow and steady on my run up which is not really a problem any more.
zpitman135
Noob

Return to Video Critique