Beer

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Beer

Postby bcr123psu » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:10 am

cfair wrote:
bcr123psu wrote:Image

tell me what this was like. I missed my chance to get it. I enjoy St Bernardus so very much.

I need to start using ratebeer or beeradvocate so I can remember. If memory serves, it was strong with a robust malt character yet well balanced. I enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to the brew next year.
bcr123psu
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: The one in my brakes

Postby Beefsupreme » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:36 am

Been loving Breckenridge D-IPA Batch 471 $10 a 6 pack 9.2 abv nice hints of citrus and caramel reminds a lot of The Oracle by Bells
Whoa, whoa, whoa. There's still plenty of meat on that bone. Now you take this home, throw it in a pot, add some broth, a potato. Baby, you've got a stew going.
Beefsupreme
Noob

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby RustyP » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:02 pm

^^I'll have to pick up some of the 471 next time I see it. It's new to bottles, isnt it?

Its vintage barleywine week at my local FS :twisted: 2011 LiveOak Old Treehugger tonight, then 2010 Scaldis, 2010 Lefthand Widdershins, 2011 Moylans Blarneywine, and finally 2009 RealAle Sisyphus. Gonna be a very drunk week :D
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby Beefsupreme » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:38 pm

^^ not 100% on that I do know that it was exclusive to breckenridge pubs for a while, I just tried it for the first time a few months ago. I did hear that you can now get it in the 22oz version though.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. There's still plenty of meat on that bone. Now you take this home, throw it in a pot, add some broth, a potato. Baby, you've got a stew going.
Beefsupreme
Noob

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby bucknuts » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:08 am

Hey beer geeks

IS Pliny the Elder the best IPAs you guys ever had? I got two of them from my SS. It was great! After having one of these, I told myself it was good but not the top notch like some of you said in the IPA category. I had tasted better IPAs in the hereabouts...

What is the rating in All About Beer magazine's beer scale?
--go out and play disc

Challengers, Buzzes, Eagles, Firebird, and OLFs
bucknuts
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Buzz

Postby juju » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:19 am

Pliny the Elder isn't an IPA, it is an Imperial IPA or Double IPA. And yes, it is one of the best.
juju
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: First Run Buzzz

Postby bucknuts » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:18 am

Ok, why it is the best? smooth, balance, not like other IPAs where it will give you a punch of bitterness when you drink up.

Drinkability is one of your reasons? I am curious. I like the drinkable ales.

On the other hand, more and more breweries are making session beers- lower abv but still has flavor.
--go out and play disc

bucknuts
Tree Magnet

Postby Jaysus » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:37 am

bucknuts wrote:Ok, why it is the best?

because it is hard to get, and the internet loves things like that. ;)
Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Dump truck » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:52 am

It's not the best... I've had it and I've had IPA's that I like more. Personally I liked Drake's Aroma Coma and Marin's White Knuckle more. I hear that Kern's Citra DIPA is also better. Alpine and Hill Farmstead are making some big IPA's that are getting rave reviews.

Pliny the elder is a recipe that was made around 10 years ago and it's a damn fine beer. There are new hop varieties that have come out since then.

Another up and coming DIPA is Heady Topper. It's different though. At lot more hops are used towards the end of the boil giving it more flavor and aroma.
omega/rhyno/comet/torque/hornet/valk/pd/nuke/destroyer
Dump truck
Tree Magnet

Postby colombo117 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:30 am

You guys are making me thirsty!

Pliny is a Double or Imperial Ipa so it should only be compared to others in that category. It is considered by many in the brewing community to be one of the best double IPAs and I am waiting patiently for the day I try one!

Living in the Michigan makes it hard to get good west coast beer, but at the same time, we have some exceptional beers here too. Bells Hop Slam is a great IIPA and is amazing when fresh, especially from the tap. Shorts Liberator is another great DIPA.

Also, Two Hearted is one of my favorite IPAs. Shorts Huma Lupa Licious is another great IPA http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/9629/17900

Keep in mind that judging beer bought out of a cooler or off the shelf from a store is not a fair way to judge, unless you are 99% sure it is fresh and was handle appropriately. I have had some west coast beers that were awful one time and excellent another time (Stone beers come to mind). It all depends on how it was transported, stored and how old it is.

European beers suffer from this the worst. Most bitters we get from there have lost there hop bite and we taste mostly the carmel malts.

IPAs are meant to be drank fresh, as there hop aromas and flavors diminish with time. Some may like this though.
Ion Challenger Roc EL/EX QJLS Valkyrie Predator
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby JR » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:23 am

Many beers improve with maturation. Some for decades although years is a great and fairly rare result.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby rKp » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:42 am

JR wrote:Many beers improve with maturation.

I read that wrong the first time.
rKp
Tree Magnet

Postby bcr123psu » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:42 pm

I'm heading to Wegmans this afternoon to pick up some tasty suds. Any suggestions on what I should pick up?
bcr123psu
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: The one in my brakes

Postby bucknuts » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:08 pm

I tried Pliny the Elder again this evening. Ohhh..yes, I now understand why this one is one fine IIPA. For some reason, it did not taste like today when I tried two weeks ago. Maybe it is my tongue;)

My goodness, it is one great IPA. Worth it a try! I approve!! You will need to try Westbrook IPA in a can. One good IPA coming from a can...it is made in Mt. Pleasant, SC.

Not a common thing for a good IPA coming from the old good Carolina on the south!
--go out and play disc

bucknuts
Tree Magnet

Postby bucknuts » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:09 pm

I tried Pliny the Elder again this evening. Ohhh..yes, I now understand why this one is one fine IIPA. For some reason, it did not taste like today when I tried two weeks ago. Maybe it is my tongue;)

My goodness, it is one great IPA. Worth it a try! I approve!! You will need to try Westbrook IPA in a can. One good IPA coming from a can...it is made in Mt. Pleasant, SC.

Not a common thing for a good IPA coming from the old good Carolina on the south!
--go out and play disc

bucknuts
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.