Why isn't the 10m circle marked?

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Why isn't the 10m circle marked?

Postby andrew » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:39 pm

There are specific rules governing play within 10 meters of the basket. I don't really know how far 10 meters is, and certainly can't eyeball it. Why isn't a chalk line drawn to mark the 10m circle? I assume 1) sheer laziness 2) nobody takes the rules of disc golf seriously. It's like in basketball when the three point line isn't drawn. If there's no demarcation of when the rule comes into play, the rule should be nullified as far as I'm concerned.

To be hyperbolic, if we are allowed to just estimate where the 10m circle is, then why can't we just estimate where the baskets are and remove them, too?
Wizards/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebirds/XXX/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

Re: Why isn't the 10m circle marked?

Postby roman » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:50 pm

Who's going to pay for someone to go out and paint circles in the lawn every time it gets mowed? How do you paint on dirt?

A lot of places do paint circles for tournaments when there really needs to be a line defined. For casual play, however, as long as the game remains free there will be no such distinction.

Most people measure out 10 meters and step it off, so they know how many steps it is. If there's ever a doubt in the future, they step it out. Eventually the more you play the more you'll be able to tell whether you're inside or outside the circle.
roman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby andrew » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:22 pm

I do grant the point that the line will not be maintained in free casual play.

They do seem to figure out how to put lines down even in dirt in every other sport, and in other sports, specifically soccer and baseball, I've played many a free, casual scrimmage on un-maintained fields where you could still pretty much make out the lines. Can you imagine if first downs were measure in American football by stepping it out? So I'm expected to know how far my steps are, and that's a skill I should be acquiring by experience as I practice disc golf? Reminds me of navigating by compass, which I was never good at in Boy Scouts.

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Postby Mark Ellis » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:26 pm

andrew wrote:There are specific rules governing play within 10 meters of the basket. I don't really know how far 10 meters is, and certainly can't eyeball it. Why isn't a chalk line drawn to mark the 10m circle? I assume 1) sheer laziness 2) nobody takes the rules of disc golf seriously. It's like in basketball when the three point line isn't drawn. If there's no demarcation of when the rule comes into play, the rule should be nullified as far as I'm concerned.

To be hyperbolic, if we are allowed to just estimate where the 10m circle is, then why can't we just estimate where the baskets are and remove them, too?

Because it is not an important enough issue. In competitive play the competitors have figured out an easy way to resolve it.

"Hey, am I outside?" "It's a close call, why don't you step it off?"
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby Booter » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:45 pm

stop being lazy and walk it off.
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby roman » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:49 pm

andrew wrote:I do grant the point that the line will not be maintained in free casual play.

They do seem to figure out how to put lines down even in dirt in every other sport, and in other sports, specifically soccer and baseball, I've played many a free, casual scrimmage on un-maintained fields where you could still pretty much make out the lines. Can you imagine if first downs were measure in American football by stepping it out? So I'm expected to know how far my steps are, and that's a skill I should be acquiring by experience as I practice disc golf? Reminds me of navigating by compass, which I was never good at in Boy Scouts.

The lines they paint for tournaments last about as long as they do on any soccer/football field - several weeks. In the woods where it's all just loose dirt, obviously the time period is a lot less.

Again, that is the only time you'll see the circles painted. Most park districts don't care enough about disc golf to have someone go out there and paint the lines every time they wear out. Heck, they don't even bother maintaining the COURSE, they maintain the PARK. Any course maintenance is usually done as volunteer work by local players and clubs. Those are the same guys that go out and paint circles before tournaments. Those are the same guys that are laid back enough to not care about the lines during causal play so they don't bother re-painting every time. Really, it's a 10m circle. You're either in it or you're not. It's not hard to judge that distance once you play enough. If you really care about it that much during casual rounds, you would be in the minority. Carry a 30ft string in your bag and measure for yourself if it bothers you that much :)
roman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby andrew » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:52 pm

So basically there's no point in even walking it off. "It's a close call, but nobody really cares, so just throw the thing." Fine by me.

andrew
Tree Magnet

Postby Booter » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:57 pm

Like i said. walk it off. it takes less than 15 seconds to do that.
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby andrew » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:00 pm

So follow up: how many steps is 10 meters for you?

andrew
Tree Magnet

Postby Dig It » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:28 pm

andrew wrote:So follow up: how many steps is 10 meters for you?

10 meters is actually 32.8 feet (closer to 33ft than 30ft) so 11, 3 foot (1 meter) strides will ballpark it for you.
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby veganray » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:31 pm

This reader marvels at the deft explanation that one can best approximate 10m with eleven 1m strides.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby roman » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:27 pm

It's 12 steps for me.
roman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby CatPredator » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:16 pm

I'm 5' 11". I use 12 steps to mark 10m but whenever I see the white line drawn at events I feel like the circle is super small and I'm being very conservative with 12 steps.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby biscgolf » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:03 pm

the only reason it matters is because people want to use a less accurate putting style (for the vast majority of people) if they are outside of it- when someone in my group asks if they are outside 10m the answer is always yes.
biscgolf
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: proline leopard

Postby Dcon67 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:17 pm

Ha...you're right. 9 times out 10 when it's close and someone asks, they jump and miss. I think jump putting is much less accurate, I only do when I'm at least 40 to 50 feet out and my normal putt isn't going to cut it.
Dcon67
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Next

Return to Rules Discussion