Legacy Releases the Clutch

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Legacy Releases the Clutch

Postby JHern » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:03 pm

I finally got my hands on some white 175g Legacy "Clutch" putters. As anticipated, it has many Magnet-like features. However, the Clutch has a significantly slimmer profile than the Magnet, and has a smaller rim depth. The plastic is great, like a very tacky, but also very rigid, Pro D. It flies a lot like a stable Magnet, but faster. So it falls into the category of faster putters, though not as a fast as a Pig. This is a super-straight disc off the tee, it locks into a line and sticks with it (HSS=LSS=0). Over all, I'd say they've produced a good putter, with good flight characteristics. I'll be interested to see how be breaks in...
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Re: Legacy Releases the Clutch

Postby mickas » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:08 am

thanks a ton, I've been waiting for a review like this.
Destroyers | Predators | Eagles | Buzzz | Comets | Magnets

trades: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22441
mickas
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby JR » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:52 pm

JHern wrote:I finally got my hands on some white 175g Legacy "Clutch" putters. As anticipated, it has many Magnet-like features. However, the Clutch has a significantly slimmer profile than the Magnet, and has a smaller rim depth. The plastic is great, like a very tacky, but also very rigid, Pro D. It flies a lot like a stable Magnet, but faster. So it falls into the category of faster putters, though not as a fast as a Pig. This is a super-straight disc off the tee, it locks into a line and sticks with it (HSS=LSS=0). Over all, I'd say they've produced a good putter, with good flight characteristics. I'll be interested to see how be breaks in...

Ion comparison?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby dvlcek » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:38 am

The plastic sounds like what I look for in Magnets. I picked up a 170 and 171 since I'm not really a max weight putter person. Can't wait for them to show up in the mail and get them out on the course. Fingers crossed they are what I'm wanting to see.
dvlcek
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Piranha

Postby JHern » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:18 pm

JR wrote:Ion comparison?

I've only thrown one Ion a few times...from my recollection, the Ion seems to have more lift and glides longer, than the Clutch.

Anyways, the Ion isn't the disc to compare with the Clutch. The Magnet is the disc to compare with the Clutch.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
JHern

Postby JR » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:43 am

JHern wrote:

I've only thrown one Ion a few times...from my recollection, the Ion seems to have more lift and glides longer, than the Clutch.

Anyways, the Ion isn't the disc to compare with the Clutch. The Magnet is the disc to compare with the Clutch.

Magnet is a thinner little less gliding Ion. But the fade depends on which kind of Ion you have. The clear Ions fade around the same as the Magnet. Others less than that.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Jesse B 707 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:48 am

JR wrote:
JHern wrote:

Magnet is a thinner little less gliding Ion. But the fade depends on which kind of Ion you have. The clear Ions fade around the same as the Magnet. Others less than that.

Not even close, other than being a putter the Mag and Ion have nearly nothing in common flightwise.....and magnets have way more fuckin glide than an Ion.
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby JHern » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:15 am

Jesse B 707 wrote:
JR wrote:...Magnet is a thinner little less gliding Ion. But the fade depends on which kind of Ion you have. The clear Ions fade around the same as the Magnet. Others less than that.

Not even close, other than being a putter the Mag and Ion have nearly nothing in common flightwise.....and magnets have way more fuckin glide than an Ion.

Jesse, have you thrown the Clutch? It definitely seems to have lost some glide in its lower profile, in comparison to the Magnet.
Japan bag...
JHern

Postby JR » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:22 am

Jesse B 707 wrote:
JR wrote:
JHern wrote:

Depends on if you're talking about putting or driving i was thinking of putting. Driving wise Ion is faster, _glides more_ and is longer. Both are straightish. I don't know how you throw but no way is the Magnet competing in glide with Ions for me in putting and driving.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:46 am

Almost every putter behaves the same when putting within the circle. Magnets definitely have more glide, the Ion is just faster so what it loses in glide, it makes up for in speed.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby BLURR » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:10 am

I've got two clutches arriving today. I will post my thoughts later today.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby dvlcek » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:00 pm

Didn't get a lot of throws with one (Pink 172) I picked up locally today but from the throws I did get, it would hold any line I put it on. Very much like Magnets but want to say it held the anny a little better. Plastic was really stiff and caught me a little off guard - wasn't expecting that stiff. I really like it and even in the wet snow was still pretty grippy. Never had any slips driving or putting. I didn't get as many throws with it as I was hoping (new course that doesn't require much putter driving and wet conditions required a little more disc with not a good run-up and plant). But from the throws I did get, it was landing where I wanted it to. Besides coming up about 2 feet short on an anny that would have been parked. Hit a tree in front of basket and didn't leave much damage. Pro D would have been chunked pretty good. Hopefully get out and use it more this weekend in some nicer conditions. Mags have some competition.
dvlcek
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Piranha

Postby BLURR » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:46 am

I snagged a 173 black and a 173 red. The first that I noticed was the comparison to a slimline magnet. That is an extremely accurate description. I got about 30 putts in with them and about 20 drives as well. One comment that I want to make is that the two that I got flew identical. Seems like anymore you can't buy two of the same disc that are different colors and have them fly similarly.

As a putter, it is very nice. Very straight within the circle. From outside the circle it was fairly straight too. I got out to around 40 ft. before I started to get any fade on my putts.

As a driver, it is like a few have said. Whatever line you put it on it flies on. Released with a touch of hyzer, and it flies a nice gentle gliding hyzer. Release it flat and it flies straight and finishes straight(Very little fade on the end). I threw it with anny a few times and it had a nice floaty flight. It never even attempted to come out of the anny. I will need some more field time with these things, but I really liked what I saw of the Clutch.

I would say it is a better magnet in every aspect. So, kudos to the Rico brothers on making a great putter.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby JR » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:36 am

Frank Delicious wrote:Almost every putter behaves the same when putting within the circle. Magnets definitely have more glide, the Ion is just faster so what it loses in glide, it makes up for in speed.

Putters do very similarly within the circle only if you throw so fast that the discs maintain altitude well no matter what they are. Drop the speed to short blow bys and the differences in altitude holding and fade appear. Lids especially and lid like discs differ from main putters that differ from hogs.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Jesse B 707 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:00 am

JHern wrote:
Jesse B 707 wrote:
JR wrote:...Magnet is a thinner little less gliding Ion. But the fade depends on which kind of Ion you have. The clear Ions fade around the same as the Magnet. Others less than that.

Jesse, have you thrown the Clutch? It definitely seems to have lost some glide in its lower profile, in comparison to the Magnet.

This is what i figured unfortunately, i dunno why damn near every putter to come out in the last 5 years has to be low profile, IME lower profile putters never glide as they should and can act really strange when the wind kicks up. This thing sounds like a Swan unfortunately
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Next

Return to Equipment