Course Map Ideas

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Course Map Ideas

Postby JHern » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:57 pm

Since embarking on a map making project for 2011 Pro Worlds, I've been thinking further about what kinds of things make for a good course map, and trying to break the old molds and try new ideas. One of the things I've done is access the USGS topography database, and plotting elevation contours on maps so that people can see what the topography is like, and count contour lines to estimate altitude changes along fairways.

Below is my latest attempt, for my home course, DeLaveaga. The intended audience is newer or visiting players (since the locals don't need a map). One of the things that comes up in a course this busy with so many holes and pin positions is the difficulty of labeling all the pin positions and listing distances for all of them, so instead of doing that I put a scale bar in the upper corner and let the map user figure it out for themselves. I think the spaghetti makes it clear when there are multiple pin positions, and where they should find them.

Anyways, I would love to hear any critiques, suggestions, or ideas you might have to improve upon this format. For example, if you were a visiting player coming to DeLaveaga for the first time, what would you like to see on this kind of map? Is there any critical information missing? Do you have any other ideas that can be used in course maps?

Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Re: Course Map Ideas

Postby nohr » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:10 pm

90% of those topographical lines don't seem like they add any information on the actual holes. In other words why have cluter on the map outside of holes themselves (is it crucial to know that there is an elevation change off of the course).

Is this intended to be a giant map on a welcome board or a map on the back of a scorecard?
nohr
Tree Magnet

Postby JHern » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:29 pm

nohr wrote:90% of those topographical lines don't seem like they add any information on the actual holes. In other words why have cluter on the map outside of holes themselves (is it crucial to know that there is an elevation change off of the course).

This adds context, which will help users to see the continuation of valleys, ravines, hills, etc., off the fairways. If contours were plotted only on the fairways, it would be more difficult to render the 3D surface in your mind, and to figure out whether they are going uphill or downhill (without explicitly labeling the contours, which would be a worse mess). With all of the off-fairway lines, you can more easily see what kind of slope you're looking at by comparing with the surrounding landscape.

I should also say that keeping this space, we can add more boxes of text and information in some of the space surrounding the fairways. For example, in the Worlds maps, I used some of this space to put logos of sponsors, which they liked very much.

nohr wrote:Is this intended to be a giant map on a welcome board or a map on the back of a scorecard?

This is meant to be printed on 8.5x11 sheets. A large welcome board would allow much more dense information, but it would be rapidly tagged and vandalized by kids.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
JHern

Postby nohr » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:01 pm

I hope I am not being to critical of your map. I was handed something similar but alot cruder at a Wisconsin Ski hill course. It was a black and white copy which was very hard to understand. Me and a buddy stared at it for a couple mins then said screw it.

I guess it truely comes down to who the map is intended for.

For the tournament player the elevation information would be great to know if you are throwing a bunch of blind holes.

For a casual player or family this might be information overload.
nohr
Tree Magnet

Postby JHern » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:43 pm

nohr wrote:I hope I am not being to critical of your map. I was handed something similar but alot cruder at a Wisconsin Ski hill course. It was a black and white copy which was very hard to understand. Me and a buddy stared at it for a couple mins then said screw it.

I guess it truely comes down to who the map is intended for.

For the tournament player the elevation information would be great to know if you are throwing a bunch of blind holes.

For a casual player or family this might be information overload.

Thanks a bunch for the feedback, it is very helpful. I think you're right, the topo lines are a bit too obtrusive, they stand out too much. I'm going to work on getting them to fade more into the background, so that you can see them if you want, but they're not so much "in your face" type of thing.
Japan bag...
JHern

Return to Courses