Discspeed's Bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Discspeed's Bag

Postby discspeed » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:32 pm

Alright...First tourney of 2011 tomorrow (such is the life of a stay at home dad), so I figure I'd document what I'm carrying.

2x new medium 175 Ions (one stock stamp, one DGR)--putting/approaching/stable drives
1x175 proto medium Ion--much less stable than new ones
1x167 FR Ion--turnover approach and putts

1x177 GL Fuse--seasoned for turnovers and touch shots
1x179 Axis--all things line holding
1x178 Vector--newish for hyzers, flex shots, and wind
2xOpto XXX--168 for approaches, utility, and thumbers, 176 for wind and beef

1x175 S-TD--turnover and slight hyzer flip straight shots
1x175 S-PD--yellow champystar seasoned, slight turn, predictable fade, very versatile main thrower
1x175 C-PD--production PD+ for long hyzers with strong fade

1x175 Tourney Sword--hyzer flip BH max D
2x175 VIP Sword--seasoned and newish for stable/slightly understable BH and FH D drives
1x175 Quasar--stable/overstable distance driver for long straight shots in wind and predictable long hyzers
1x175 Z NukeOS--crazy fast overstable, won't see action unless strong wind is in play
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:04 am

All medium Ions? You prefer them to the Soft? I bought a medium but was wanting to go back and get a soft to compare...
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Zero Hard Pure

Postby discspeed » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:39 am

Crosseyed0811 wrote:All medium Ions? You prefer them to the Soft? I bought a medium but was wanting to go back and get a soft to compare...

I like both, but I prefer the feel and straighter flight of the mediums overall. It's still 90 degrees here most days(though we're getting our first cool front of the season today), so that's a factor too.
discspeed

Postby discspeed » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:58 pm

It's been a while and things have changed up a bit...

2x 171/172 Anodes--Putting
1x174 Anode--Straight drives
1x175 Ion--Overstable drives
1x171 Soft Ion--flex drives
1x167 FR Ion--finesse long putts/approaches

1x180 Flying Squirrel--understable mid
1x179 FR Axis--slightly understable/straight mid
1x178 FR Vector--seasoned step up in stability from Axis
1x179 Eclipse Vector--new and overstable

1x175 S-FD--stable fairway driver
1x174 11x Champ FB--overstable utility

1x175 S-TD--slightly understable
1x175 S-PD--seasoned, likes to flip and fade like an EX
2x175 yellow champstar PDs--new and seasoned, fly more like faster TBs
2x175 CFR CPDs--new and seasoned, overstable for strong hyzers and wind

1x175 Tourney Sword--understable max D
2x175 VIP Sword--new and seasoned workhorse drivers
1x174 FR Quasar--overstable for wind and hyzers

I've still got some more Nukes/NukeOS/Quasars that I would consider adding on a long/open course. I've also got other CPD+ and SPDs usually tagging along for breaking in/slightly different lines.
discspeed

Postby Mike C » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:54 pm

How do the Flying Squirrel and Axis pair together? Last time I was throwing full bag rounds my Fuse didn't see much action because my flat Axis does the high glide tunnel shot thing very well so I never felt compelled to throw my Fuse. I've resorted to purposefully beating it in some to get it to show some more high speed turn because right now it's too straight and overlaps with the Axis.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby Booter » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:14 pm

im gonna be throwing swords for the first time tomorrow. we will see how they fair against my old stable flows. they definitely sound closer to "pd" flight than the flows do.

how would you compare a quasar to a sds destroyer>? i need a good wind handler of a max d disc and ive thrown quasars but didnt really give em a chance
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby discspeed » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:42 pm

Mike C wrote:How do the Flying Squirrel and Axis pair together? Last time I was throwing full bag rounds my Fuse didn't see much action because my flat Axis does the high glide tunnel shot thing very well so I never felt compelled to throw my Fuse. I've resorted to purposefully beating it in some to get it to show some more high speed turn because right now it's too straight and overlaps with the Axis.

The Flying Squirrel is like a step and a half less stable than my least stable Axis, so it pairs really well. It is actually a great compliment all around to an otherwise all-MVP mid/putter lineup. It holds low power anhyzers unbelievably well, getting a lot of movement and staying in the air. I think it's a bit slower than the Axis, but it glides a bit more. Since I can never imagine getting an Anode or Axis broken in even to the point of a new Squirrel, it's been a valuable addition to the bag.
discspeed

Postby discspeed » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:47 pm

Booter wrote:im gonna be throwing swords for the first time tomorrow. we will see how they fair against my old stable flows. they definitely sound closer to "pd" flight than the flows do.

how would you compare a quasar to a sds destroyer>? i need a good wind handler of a max d disc and ive thrown quasars but didnt really give em a chance

My Quasar experience is limited to the merlot colored first runs...I loved them at first throw, hoarded a half dozen, and I haven't thrown another color. Mine are also stiff and fairly domey, though not ridiculous compared to Innova's domiest discs. For me they have been the ultimate wind distance disc. I still have my original in the bag and it has broken in a bit, but I can still trust it completely into the wind from a slight hyzer release. It doesn't hold it's speed as late into the flight as a Boss, so it doesn't have the skip at the end of a long flight either, however, if you skip it hard and early it can get huge D on one hop.
Last edited by discspeed on Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
discspeed

Postby Mike C » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:05 am

Cool, I might grab a Squirrel. I know a local shop that carries them and I haven't tried out anything ABC yet.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby BrotherDave » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:47 am

Mike C wrote:How do the Flying Squirrel and Axis pair together? Last time I was throwing full bag rounds my Fuse didn't see much action because my flat Axis does the high glide tunnel shot thing very well so I never felt compelled to throw my Fuse. I've resorted to purposefully beating it in some to get it to show some more high speed turn because right now it's too straight and overlaps with the Axis.

Beaten in Fuse is better. :-D
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby discspeed » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:17 pm

My beat Fuse is shelved...It's too similar to my Axis, even though it's a bit less stable. My Squirrel does sweeping turnovers and annies much better, contrasting the strengths of my Axis.
discspeed

Postby BrotherDave » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:37 pm

Blasphemy, just blasphemy. What plastic is your beat Fuse, GL? B/c there is no way in hell my flat Axis is similar in any way to my beat to hell Opto Fuse. :)
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Postby discspeed » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:53 pm

BrotherDave wrote:Blasphemy, just blasphemy. What plastic is your beat Fuse, GL? B/c there is no way in hell my flat Axis is similar in any way to my beat to hell Opto Fuse. :)

Mine is a flat GL...
discspeed

Postby BrotherDave » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:31 am

I've never broken in a GL (I just prefer the Opto so I didn't throw it enough) but my Opto turns like a fish with a broken fin. And if you say otherwise I will cut you, esse. But I'll be a gentleman about it, I'll give you a choice: Icing spreader or butterknife.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Postby discspeed » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:30 am

The Flying Squirrel is weirder though...It's actually longer than any of my other mids. I'd put it in a class with discs like the Storm/Squall as a tweener between a mid and fairway driver.
discspeed

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion