Why isn't the 10m circle marked?

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Why isn't the 10m circle marked?

Postby ferretdance03 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:02 pm

andrew wrote:...I assume 1) sheer laziness...

Because I'm too busy cleaning up trash, clearing new fairways, going to park meetings, calling potential tournament sponsors, organizing lunch for the event, calling people about lost discs, etc so on and so forth.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1877
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:55 am
Location: PA*sevenoneseven
Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Re: Why isn't the 10m circle marked?

Postby roman » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:04 pm

CatPredator wrote:I'm 5' 11". I use 12 steps to mark 10m but whenever I see the white line drawn at events I feel like the circle is super small and I'm being very conservative with 12 steps.


That's probably because a lot of people are using the rounded down "30ft" measurement and paint that instead of the full 10 meters, which is almost 33 feet. Every time I see circles that I feel are a bit too small, they usually end up being 30 feet or just about 11 steps in my case.
roman
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:45 pm
Location: IL

Re: Why isn't the 10m circle marked?

Postby Timko » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:35 pm

I think what your touching on is the bigger point. If a circle is there, what's to gaurentee it's 10m? I remember a former Marshall telling me the point of the ciricle is to aid speed of play (who is out) and make foot faults easier to call. It's not a gold standard to measure all foot faults by.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth
User avatar
 
Posts: 7692
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:21 pm
Location: KCMO

Re: Why isn't the 10m circle marked?

Postby new013 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:52 pm

i think it's one of those things you'll just know after a certain point. because i played soccer growing up i just about know how far 18 yards is. eventually you'll just know about where the 10m mark is. if you know you're about where it is just putt like you're inside.

some courses do have the circle marked by placing bricks in to the ground, i think that's a good method. if it's grass every now and then somebody could come out with a can of grass killer attached to a 10 m string and just go around make the circle like that.
"F*ck... here comes that guy New013."
new013
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 555
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:00 am
Favorite Disc: TL

Re: Why isn't the 10m circle marked?

Postby BradC » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:31 am

veganray wrote:This reader marvels at the deft explanation that one can best approximate 10m with eleven 1m strides.


I'm assuming he errs on the side of caution to not get any ticky-tack BS calls in a tournament setting.
BradC
Noob
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:26 am

Re: Why isn't the 10m circle marked?

Postby Steve » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:01 am

andrew wrote:I do grant the point that the line will not be maintained in free casual play.

They do seem to figure out how to put lines down even in dirt in every other sport, and in other sports, specifically soccer and baseball, I've played many a free, casual scrimmage on un-maintained fields where you could still pretty much make out the lines. Can you imagine if first downs were measure in American football by stepping it out? So I'm expected to know how far my steps are, and that's a skill I should be acquiring by experience as I practice disc golf? Reminds me of navigating by compass, which I was never good at in Boy Scouts.

If this is something you need for playing tournaments then I would suggest volunteering to do it. Drive to Home Depot and buy some string and a can of paint and go mark the lines. Then there will be nothing to complain about.
Steve
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 769
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:47 pm
Location: 515
Favorite Disc: OLF

Re: Why isn't the 10m circle marked?

Postby biscgolf » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:43 am

ferretdance03 wrote:
andrew wrote:...I assume 1) sheer laziness...

Because I'm too busy cleaning up trash, clearing new fairways, going to park meetings, calling potential tournament sponsors, organizing lunch for the event, calling people about lost discs, etc so on and so forth.


frigging slacker...
biscgolf
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:18 pm
Favorite Disc: proline leopard

Re: Why isn't the 10m circle marked?

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:53 am

Until the RC makes the painted line "official" I think doing the painted lines isn't advisable, adds to expenses and it's not environmentally friendly.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1652
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:42 pm
Location: Twin Cities

Re: Why isn't the 10m circle marked?

Postby veganray » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:59 am

Of course, as soon as the RC gives its "official" blessing, cost & environmental impact will disappear.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.


Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler
User avatar
 
Posts: 2206
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:29 pm
Location: the defense table
Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Re: Why isn't the 10m circle marked?

Postby mark12b » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:09 am

It will take more than one can of paint, for sure... The circle has a radius of 10m, so its circumference is 194'. According to the technical data sheet for Rustoleum Athletic Field Marking Paint, a 15oz can will give you a 1.5" line that's about 300' long. So, if you make continuous circles, it will take 12 cans of paint for an 18-hole course. Of course dashed lines would use less.

That's a lot of time and expense for something that *only* affects players who jump putt and *only* comes into play when a shot lands about 10m from the basket.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1177
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:28 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Why isn't the 10m circle marked?

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:28 am

Of course, as soon as the RC gives its "official" blessing, cost & environmental impact will disappear.

Nope, but if it becomes official, more people will find ways to install permanent marking to professionalize their courses and consider using more environmentally friendly alternatives if they mark more often. For example, the Parks Dept at one of our courses already has installed wood-chipped circles out to about 10m with a definitive border line.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1652
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:42 pm
Location: Twin Cities

Re: Why isn't the 10m circle marked?

Postby biscgolf » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:47 am

there isn't actually any chance the RC would mandate such nonsense is there?
biscgolf
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:18 pm
Favorite Disc: proline leopard

Re: Why isn't the 10m circle marked?

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:48 pm

It likely would never be mandated. But I could see a rewrite where the 10m distance is the default putting circle in the event a line was not marked similar to the rule for marking mando drop zones, i.e., if it's marked, you go there if you miss. If it's not marked, the default is going to the mando object, move over up to 5m and back 1m.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1652
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:42 pm
Location: Twin Cities

Re: Why isn't the 10m circle marked?

Postby Pwingles » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:55 pm

What would happen if someone were to ask you if they were ~30 out and you say sure. Then you call them for a foot fault? I mean, besides that making you a giant dickass? Is that enforcable once youve ok'd that they were far enough out?
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1059
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:49 pm
Location: Missouwi
Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Re: Why isn't the 10m circle marked?

Postby Sean40474 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:51 pm

Mark Ellis wrote:
andrew wrote:There are specific rules governing play within 10 meters of the basket. I don't really know how far 10 meters is, and certainly can't eyeball it. Why isn't a chalk line drawn to mark the 10m circle? I assume 1) sheer laziness 2) nobody takes the rules of disc golf seriously. It's like in basketball when the three point line isn't drawn. If there's no demarcation of when the rule comes into play, the rule should be nullified as far as I'm concerned.

To be hyperbolic, if we are allowed to just estimate where the 10m circle is, then why can't we just estimate where the baskets are and remove them, too?


Because it is not an important enough issue. In competitive play the competitors have figured out an easy way to resolve it.

"Hey, am I outside?" "It's a close call, why don't you step it off?"


This is what we've always done. It'd still be nice to have them painted, so there is no question. It appears that the circle is being marked more often as of late.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage
User avatar
 
Posts: 874
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:06 pm
Location: North Alabama
Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

PreviousNext

Return to Rules Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests