6 months after my first vid

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

6 months after my first vid

Postby SouthernGolf » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:10 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyhkhXnl ... ata_player

This is my 3rd video for critique. The basket is distanced at 405 I believe and I throw it parallel about 50 ft to te right.

It's good distance no doubt, however when I don't have wide open spaces I CANNOT maintain accuracy. I cannot hit lines when I want to. On this exact shot at least 50% of the time the disc( southern nationals 2010 star katana 175) turns over too much and lands 125 ft to the right.

After watching it myself the first thing I noticed is my off arm. No idea why I do that. How is it hindering me?

I would appreciate it if you could tell me what I'm doing right as well as what I'm doing wrong so I make sure not to break what has taken so long to fix. Because 400+ tells me something's right. But my painful inconsistency tells me I'm doing somethin real wrong
SouthernGolf
Noob

Favorite Disc: Omega SS P&A

Re: 6 months after my first vid

Postby Mike C » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:25 pm

I'm far from an expert but here's what I noticed.

You're not turning your hips very much.

Your off arm looks funny but I don't see it doing anything that should impede your throw.

Your pull through has a weird U shaped motion. It looks like you start high, pull through lower, then finish high.

It seems like, overall, you're focusing a little too much on the arm motions and not quite enough on the overall body motions. I'd try to slow things down a bit and get more body rotation. Also focus on keeping the disc on the same level plane throughout the x-step and pull-through to make sure you avoid OAT.

Also Katana's, based on everything I've seen from others throwing them, are not very consistent and predictable. Do you have any discs in your bag you know you can make go straight and controlled all the time, like a Teebird? If so what kind of flight do you get?
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby SouthernGolf » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:37 pm

I have a beat echo star destroyer that is pretty flippy yet controllable if thrown properly. Champ eagle-very good disc- and star teebird that will hold it's line pretty good…when I throw It straight :(. I'm really have timing issues. And just like you said rotation issues.

When I watch pros it really seems like they put half the effort but have a different feel of te disc. As if they are whipping the disc away from their body and not throwing it away from their body. I'm not sure if my timing/rotation is what's causing me to miss that or not.
SouthernGolf
Noob

Postby seabas22 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:28 pm

Watch your followthrough and all the wasted momentum moving your body forward after the hit instead going into the disc. The finish position is the tuning fork of your form. Watch any elite thrower in the followthrough and they often can balance on the plant leg, stopping the shoulders from going forward. No hip power as your shoulders move forward ahead of the hips. Need to maintain posture and brace on the front side for the hit. Watch the vid and do the hip drills, then work on a standstill throw and work footwork back in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zByUYQnVdY#t=3m0s
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby JR » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:41 am

Your left leg raises up away from the ground before the disc leaves the hand. That messes up the rotation and robs power. Timing changes as well so that should be changed first and who knows what happens then. I'd change that and take another video to see if you're happy. Not having the rear leg on the ground creates huge inconsistencies between throws of varying speeds. The faster you go the more you can turn toward the target. At slow speeds you never turn toward the target even in the follow through so you're guaranteed to miss left or need to move the arm in a totally different direction as the rest of the body. That means instant loss of control and power.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby SouthernGolf » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:21 pm

The "tuning fork" comparison really Turned on a lightbulb because I recall watching masterbeato finishing like that everytime and his drives look like butter.

If I consciously keep my left foot down, what would I need to incorporate after that to increase accuracy? Also- in depth- how does keeping that foot down help? I definitely believe you but I like theory behind practice to help me in the field while I'm working on it
SouthernGolf
Noob

Postby seabas22 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:31 pm

The rear foot is what generates power under the hip through impact. I struggle to keep the foot down through impact myself unless its a standstill shot.

seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Return to Video Critique