Releasing The Disc Flat

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Releasing The Disc Flat

Postby Blake_T » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:53 am

Mark pretty much summed up what I said.

the hyzer angles and outcomes i referenced were meant to be on a flattened hyzer (straightish throw) vs. releasing a disc on a flat angle.

committing to a hyzer line and angle on a throw is the most predictable shot and the easiest to consistently execute but it is boring and not applicable to all throws, but when it's available, it gives the best consistent outcome.

I mostly use hyzers for range control. when you stationary throw a putter 280', it's easier to spike a predator 200' than try to finesse a putter.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Mark Ellis » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:02 pm

Blake_T wrote:Mark pretty much summed up what I said.

Wow. I had no idea if I was agreeing with Blake or not. :lol:

I read the posts back and even with Blake's summary of my unintended summary of his position I'm still disoriented. It is nice to be on the side of science, though.

Back when I sucked I couldn't throw a disc flat and straight. Now that I suck somewhat less I can sometimes make a disc fly flat and straight. All things considered sucking less is a very good thing.

Throwing flat creates a bigger margin of error? I would have guessed the opposite. The closer a shot comes to pure (flat & straight) the better the shot is. A shot thrown better does not always work out better than a weaker shot (the luck factor) but it is still the better shot, whether it is rewarded or not.

Hyzers are the easiest shots to throw, requiring the least skill. Flat shots take much more skill but once that skill is attained they are more precise. The different lines represent gradations of skill. Hyzers are like crawling in the dirt (even a beginner can do it). Straight shots are running smoothly. Anhyzers are ballet. Putting is performing ballet blindfolded on an obstacle course suspended over a shark tank.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby Blake_T » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:57 pm

Haha, Mark.

Yeah, we are on the same page on this one.

flat flight vs. flat release are two different things. i am fine with a flat flight, but i think flat release is a lower percentage than other releases. it's like needing a 20 when playing darts and aiming for the skinny part rather than the fat part.

it is something i think people should be able to do with some competence, but i'm the type that builds strategies around long-run percentages.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Lithicon » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:13 pm

Yeah, after reading so much of what Blake has written about percentages and release angles. I eventually came to favor slightly neutral to understable disc and throw more hyzer angles. Flying flat is what use a lot. I wouldn't say it's boring, one of the prettiest flights I think.
Predator - OLF - Cyclone
Roc Kool-Aid
Dart
------------------
Lithicon
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Dart

Postby CPJackson » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:50 pm

In my limited experience, my approach is something like bowling (or insanity). I try to get to an open field and throw everything with the same angle and power so I can observe the differences in flight. An Avenger or a Force is going to behave vastly differently than a Sidewinder or an SS Avenger. Understanding the difference helps my decision making on the course.

Now for actually accomplishing the shot I come up with in my head? Still working on that. Once in a while it happens, but once per round at most.

Mark and Blake have already nailed this topic down, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents anyhow.
CPJackson
Noob

Favorite Disc: Valkyrie

Postby logjammin » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:15 pm

I am mostly RHFH thrower. I recently changed my grip to 2 fingers stacked against the lip. Before that I was using just the pointer finger inside the lip and putting the middle finger on the bottom of the lip. I notice that I'm getting more power, greater control of hyzer/ anny angle, longer glide. However, my control of elevation angle is worse. In other words, the disc climbs at a steep angle or dives to the ground when I intend to make a level throw. I assume this is because I'm releasing it nose up or nose down.

Any advice on how to control this better?
logjammin
Noob

Favorite Disc: Cheetah

Postby JR » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:12 pm

If it is nose up has the new grip increased muscle tension especially between the wrist and the elbow? That may stiffen the forearm muscles enough to raise the wrist. Loose muscles allow the wrist to drop. Waking up looseness may lead to worm burners :-) If the wrist raises from the muscles being too floppy you need to actively push down the wrist with the muscles around the forearm.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Indy's broken whip » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:31 pm

Oh my god, I have almost always tried to release the disc flat, now that I read Blake's explanation I feel so dumb. Although I have several major flaws in my game, the worst has been the inconsistency with the flight paths. Sometimes the disc goes straight, but usually it either leaves (or quickly turns) as anhyzer or more rarely as nose up hyzer. I have noticed before that releasing with small hyzer angle has made the disc fly straighter (especially putters which are almost always wormburners when I try to release them flat), but for some reason I have though that as "cheating" and decided to learn the straight release first properly. Maybe I should be play with the angles more next time on field..
Indy's broken whip
Noob

Postby JR » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:59 pm

You definitely should.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby jubuttib » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:20 pm

Guess I'm a freak then, I've always found it easier to release my throws as close to flat as I can, letting the disc do most of the work. I can and do work the disc when it fits the purpose, but my favorite shot from almost any distance is the dead nuts straight flat throw. Luckily I've been fortunate enough to find discs that allow me to play this way.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:24 pm

jubuttib wrote:Guess I'm a freak then, I've always found it easier to release my throws as close to flat as I can, letting the disc do most of the work. I can and do work the disc when it fits the purpose, but my favorite shot from almost any distance is the dead nuts straight flat throw. Luckily I've been fortunate enough to find discs that allow me to play this way.

The sea side winds and wooded courses have forced this on me and it seems to be the most natural for me to throw too. I guess disc technology plays a part too. Discs that don't flip can handle more wind than those that flip in calm conditions.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Previous

Return to Technique