When should a beginner join a tournament?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

When should a beginner join a tournament?

Postby ELFmachinery » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:19 am

Hello all,

My name is John, i'm new here and have been playing for about 5 months.

I want to join a tournament, mainly to learn and practice.

I can drive about 200 feet on average, sometimes more. My average score when I play 18 holes is +15 or so.

I don't care if I came in dead last in a tournament. Is it disrespectful to play one without being great at the sport? I haven't joined the PDGA yet or anything, just wanted to see people's opinions on this.

Thanks in advance, these forums that i've been lurking on have tought me some good information!
ELFmachinery
Noob

Favorite Disc: Avenger SS

Re: When should a beginner join a tournament?

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:24 am

You should play whenever you like. The Rec division in tourneys are made for someone of your skill level.

It is definitely not disrespectful to play in a tourney without being great. Just go out there and have some fun and play as well as you can.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby jubuttib » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:31 am

As an added bonus you might get a chance to watch some of the better players and learn a thing or two. =)

Oh and welcome to the forum.

EDIT: And as a side note, if you're driving around 200' on average, you should try to stay away from drivers (like the Avenger SS) and focus on learning how to work putters and mid ranges. The technique section of these forums is an absolutely great source of information too.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby ELFmachinery » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:11 pm

Thanks for the info. I actually plan on switching to mid range for a while. I ordered a ESP buzzz and a roc to see what I like. I just started practicing in a field, before that it was courses only. I'm just getting a bunch of different discs/weights/plastics so I can go to the field by my work and learn some flights. Next step is a practice basket!
ELFmachinery
Noob

Postby JHern » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:33 pm

Most fun wins! Sounds like you're ready.

You will learn a lot playing tournaments, it is one of the fastest ways to improve, especially when playing with those better than you are. You can even sign up for a higher level division, if you want...this is totally up to you.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby ELFmachinery » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:49 pm

So, if I were to join a tournament... I'm going to assume that I join the PDGA? I pay the $50, and then look around on all of the disc forums to see where/when the local ones are happening? Also, what are the different levels? I've seen that there is AM and PRO, is there other denominations?
ELFmachinery
Noob

Postby Steve » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:56 pm

ELFmachinery wrote:So, if I were to join a tournament... I'm going to assume that I join the PDGA? I pay the $50, and then look around on all of the disc forums to see where/when the local ones are happening? Also, what are the different levels? I've seen that there is AM and PRO, is there other denominations?

Recreational
Intermediate
Advanced
Open

If you are nervous you could always volunteer to caddie for someone and see how things go down the first time.
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby tbird888 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:00 pm

You don't have to join the PDGA to play a sanctioned tourney, but you will have to pay a $10 non-member fee. There are non-sanctioned tourneys that don't require the extra fee so you might want to look around online for a local club site or ask at your local disc shop if there is one in your area. You could see if they have leagues. This would give you a better chance to play with higher level players and improve faster in a more relaxed environment.
tbird888
Noob

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby anborn » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:33 pm

i played my first tourney a couple weeks ago. been playing for about a year. came in dead center of the rec division (10 out of 21) with a +9, and +5 for 2 rounds. had a blast.

biggest thing to prepare for if you decide to play one... is that its SLOOOOOOW compared to what you are used to. one round, 3 hrs easy, maybe longer.

as someone above said... most fun wins. :)
anborn
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc, TL

Postby garublador » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:34 am

I had been playing about 5-6 months when I entered my first tournament. It was non sanctioned and I played in the rec division. As long as you know the basic rules, are respectful to the other players and are good about using a mini you'll be more than fine. My experience is that ending up on the last card in the second round is much more fun than ending up on the first card. You spend more time sharing tips, techniques and stories than worrying about your score when there's nothing on the line.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby XComet » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:54 pm

[quote="ELFmachinery"]
I want to join a tournament, mainly to learn and practice. [quote]

Another option is to join your local disc golf club, if there is one, or find a local course that has weekly mini-tournaments and start playing there. Start off playing in daytime mini's so you aren't chasing your discs around in the dark. This is a great way to get into the competitive side of disc golf if you don't want to jump into sanctioned tournaments right away.
"Many first possess wealth, and are then possessed by it. Many lose their wealth, and, in turn, become the richer for their loss." -Ludwig Klages
XComet
Noob

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby niuvalleycane » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:32 pm

if u can be open to help from your card re marking your lie, not foot faulting, 2 minute rule, keeping score for the group, other courtesy and etiquette, u should be gtg!
niuvalleycane
Fairway Surgeon

Return to General Discussion