Mike C's bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Mike C's bag

Postby Pwingles » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:39 pm

I have a question, what types of shots are you using the vector for? Seems like between the fuse and axis and vector you could lose the JLS for a slightly faster mold. Or lose the vector for a more overstable mold maybe. How is this setup working for you so far?
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby Timko » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:58 pm

He said low ceiling shots. I would imagine he throws it low the same distance as his Rocs, or super high and the same distance as his OLFs.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Mike C » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:11 pm

Roc Lover wrote:I have a question, what types of shots are you using the vector for? Seems like between the fuse and axis and vector you could lose the JLS for a slightly faster mold. Or lose the vector for a more overstable mold maybe. How is this setup working for you so far?

What do you use a new Kc Pro Roc for? ;)

I don't use the Vector that much honestly, I throw the Axis much more. I just like the Vector for headwind BH drives in the 325-390' range, hard hyzer approaches FH and BH, or lower powered drives where I want more fade at the end than the Axis offers. Even on a 200' drive the Axis has a tendency to go dead straight with no fade unless I give it hyzer. Also on say, a 200' hyzer approach, the Axis will glide in the air longer and penetrate forward more, while the Vector drops quicker and moves further laterally, which is useful at times.

The JLS is more neutral than the OLF's and gets out a little further than my mids. It and the DD are kind of tweener discs that while they aren't the cornerstones of my bag they work well for where I use them. I like the JLS for BH and FH rollers than need control and length, gentle turnovers that don't come back, and drives in general where I want more forward penetration on the fade rather than the stronger hook of my faster drivers.

Between how long my Axis flies and how versatile OLF's are I could drop it, but seeing as I just carry one I'm not too concerned with it. If I still cared about minimalism I'd go Ion/Axis/XXX/OLF/Quasar, but I don't. I just try to fill my Fade Crunch bag with the most reliable and versatile group of discs I can.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby Pwingles » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:50 pm

lol, sorry that sounded sort of snooty now that i read it again.

I was curious because i adopted the gazelle for a similar role, and had previously tried a QJ and it was not quite what i was looking for, the pro gaz from the factory store is titties tho. Anyway, ya, im less concerned with minimalism than i used to be so i understand, i carry a couple of non staple discs that are in and out as well. The vectors ive thrown were quite overstable, like a faster hornet with more glide. Like the ion and the axis tho, it wasnt for me, mostly due to grip issues, although in nice weather they were really fun to throw. For me the QJ and the Vector wouldve overlapped a ton, the QJ i had was new and had little to no turn so it didnt work that well for me powered down or on hyzerflips. DX gaz and Pro gaz have been pretty nice.
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby Mike C » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:56 pm

New SJLS's and Vectors are pretty close when it comes to stability but the JLS goes a good bit further, and once broken in is a very versatile disc. That being said I might drop it.

I went a few weeks throwing just putters and mids...mostly just the putters though. I enjoyed the simplicity. I feel like my bag was getting unnecessarily complex. I'm going to try out something like this:

171 S Ion - Putts
175 S Ion - Drive / approach
171 M Anode - Drive / approach

178 Glow Axis - Flat, neutral
178 Glow Vector - Flat, straight with late, but reliable fade
178 FR Vector - Domier, earlier and more aggressive fade

169 FR 1.1 QOLF - Seasoned, workhorse line shaping driver.
175 1.2 SOLF - Seasoned, less high speed turn though, and willing to toss it over water
175 1.2 QOLF - SOLF stamped QOLF, super beefy, like a worn Pred
175 Opto XXX - Pure beef

I'm taking out the Fuse for now because I find it too similar to my flat Axis and I prefer the Axis for wind resistance and it's an easier color to find. The JLS...I love it, it's very versatile, but I don't really feel like I need it between how far I can push my Axis out there and my assortment of seasoned OLF's. Quasar is getting the boot for now too. Love the mold and plan to put it back in my bag later on, I just want to disc down a bit for now. I only threw OLF's and the XXX for my drivers today and it made me realize how much I miss throwing OLF's.

I never liked that SOLF stamped QOLF much because it overlapped with my more worn Preds but after switching the Pred out for the XXX it's a natural bridge in stability between my seasoned OLF's and the XXX. I'm trying to cut my bag down to just what I genuinely need and use.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby BrotherDave » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:43 am

I like it, you probably don't need anything actually flippy with your FH and the Axis can probably handle those slight dogleg rights that make more sense BH than FH.

Do you think the Anode will/can overtake the Ion in the putting dept?
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby Mike C » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:19 pm

I'm about 95% sure I'll switch to Anode's for putts when the softs come out. As it is I've been keeping one of them in the front of my bag for 2nd try putts, and I've been making a lot of nice putts with them. I've had some days where I felt like using them as my primary, seems I'm getting used to putting with the stiffer plastic.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jbl » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:04 pm

when are the soft anodes coming out?
jbl
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Mike C » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:04 pm

Dunno but I'm sure me or Discspeed will be posting about it asap when we find out :)

Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Mike C » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:08 pm

New, bigger bag. Not sure what to fill it with (beer!). Too snowy to play much more than a pitch and putt at the moment otherwise I'd be busy testing this out.

171 S Ion - Putts
175 S Ion - Drives
168 S Ion - Drives

178 Glow Axis - Neutral
178 Glow Vector - Straight with fade
178 FR Vector - Harder, earlier fade

170 QJLS - CE Run, very beat, lots of turn
175 SJLS - Brand new, flies very much like a fresh DX TB.

175 1.2 SOLF - Quite worn, line-shaper (Yellow and easier to replace so I'll throw it over water or on blind holes)
169 1.1 QOLF - Quite worn, line-shaper (I baby this one)
175 1.2 QOLF - X-out, extra beefy, essentially just a worn in Predator with a more comfortable rim
175 Opto XXX - Beef

171 Quasar - Line shaper
175 Quasar - Headwind max D

With plenty of room to spare! Now I just need a better strap. Pretty sweet having my putting Ion and drive / approach Ion in their own outer slots, gonna be super useful. Not sure about the JLS setup but I've been wanting something flippy for a particular hole at my home course, and I figure a TB style disc is always useful.

Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Jelyman » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:06 pm

Do the glow vector/axis throw any different. Also are the newer ions more stable? I have been using the fr and was told the new ones are more stable.

Thanks.
Jelyman
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: River

Postby JR » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:10 pm

To me the Eclipses fly the same as clear plastic counterparts. Clear Ions are more tolerant against poor releases and fade harder.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Jelyman » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:24 pm

Thanks JR
Jelyman
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: River

Previous

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion