Axis of Evil

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Axis of Evil

Postby Mike C » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:22 pm

jubuttib wrote:
Mike C wrote:I'd throw my Comets at full power too, but they were much easier to turn for me. They seemed much less forgiving with OAT and stuff, which is funny cause it sounds like you're having the opposite experience.
Actually I think both are just about as forgiving or non-forgiving with OAT, but for reasons unknown it's easier for me to throw Comets without OAT.

What kind of grip do you throw your mids with?
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby jubuttib » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:32 pm

Mike C wrote:What kind of grip do you throw your mids with?
Modified fan for really short shots, power for everything else.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby dgdave » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:55 pm

Finally got an axis. Its a uv blue 1st run. Flat and 177. Can't wait to try it.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby Mike C » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:13 pm

Let us know how it compares to your worn to straight rocs for you.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby dgdave » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:30 pm

Got in a handful of tosses with it alongside my straight rocs and some new z buzzz. The Axis flew almost exactly the way my MD2 flew. Slower buzzz like. Glide was nowhere near my rocs, but it was slightly faster and more stable. I was getting similar d with the rocs and axis (330ish tops) and just slightly longer with my buzzz.

Definitely want more tosses, but I think this may just be another MD2. I wanted it to be way less lss and slightly less hss and a TON more glide.
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby jubuttib » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:57 pm

For me the difference between the Axis and MD2 is that the Axis works better than the MD2 when underpowered and the MD2 works better than the Axis when overpowered. Both are straight mids.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby new013 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:27 am

i agree with jub.. i like driving with my CMD2 and using the axis on shorter shots and for hitting gaps.
"F*ck... here comes that guy New013."
new013
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TL

Postby Wyno » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:05 pm

dgdave wrote:I wanted it to be way less lss

That's pretty weird, I can hardly imagine a disc with less LSS paired with that HSS... Could it be that you get more nose-down or more spin with the rocs, grip related or whatever?
I gotta say, the axis seemed pretty touchy the first couple of days I had it, but then my problems with it just seemed to disappear, can't really figure out why. Might have something to do with the damn snow, I've got no choice but to focus on throwing smooth these days, try to crush it and I'm on my ass
Mark Ellis wrote:Most sins can be erased with a blunt edged disc.

Main Bag: Z Surge SS, Z Pred, N Volt, E Vector, N Axis, P Ion, P Anode. Touch bag: XLs, Comets, Rattlers
Wyno
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Anode

Postby jubuttib » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:13 pm

And FWIW, with the D-MD2 in my bag I don't really have that much need for the Axis on low power shots either. Before those came along I would have been way more excited about the Axis.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Mike C » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:03 pm

jubuttib did you ever throw any flat Vectors? The way you describe using your MD2's sounds identical to how I use my Axis/Vector combo. From what I've read I think the Vectors would be a bit more LSS?

I think I'm going to try out some Discmani molds next time I go disc shopping. The store near me had some S-TD's that felt real nice and grippy. I know they had the MD1 but dunno about the 2.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jubuttib » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:14 pm

Yeah, I have a flat orange FR Vector. It's kinda similar, but requires more power to fly totally straight than my deflashed flat C-MD2's, and also turns easier in a headwind. I use domey Vectors though to supplement the overstable end.

If I didn't have several of the flat C-MD2's I'd probably try to find more of the flat Vectors, they should be easier to find and would work in that slot nicely.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby dgdave » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:37 am

I tossed my axis a lot yesterday and I got the hang of it. I think the first time I threw it, I was putting too much hyzer on it. I was getting the long, laser straight shots people have been talking about. I was getting about 330ish driver with little to no turn and fade. Makes me want to toss the vectors again
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby uNicedmeMan » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:30 pm

dgdave wrote:I tossed my axis a lot yesterday and I got the hang of it. I think the first time I threw it, I was putting too much hyzer on it. I was getting the long, laser straight shots people have been talking about. I was getting about 330ish driver with little to no turn and fade. Makes me want to toss the vectors again

Yemen, they love to hold the angle of release. When I throw them with more hyzer (intentionally or not) people are like damn that disc is a pig but if I throw a shallow hyzer/flat/annies it's like damn that disc is straight. The Axis is a pretty versatile mold IMO and cuts some mean hyzers. I've thrown some underpowered anniesthat would have stalled out with most other discs but the Axis keeps on trucking, I love throwing anhyzers with the Axis.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby UnitedPuppySlayer » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:29 pm

The Axis, along with the rest of MVP's discs usually take a little getting used to at first, but once you do it can really be lights out.
UnitedPuppySlayer
Noob

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Rogue9 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:03 pm

I know the Axis has been out for quite some time now, and there have been quite a few reviews on it, but I wanted to write my own up for a couple reasons.

I am a casual golfer, I don't play tournys and golf only 1 to 2 times a week due to time/distance constraints. I am a long time lurker on DGR. DGR is where I got "educated" as the person who introduced me to the sport seven years ago had me throwing latest/greatest/fastest/innova. As a result, my technique is only now starting to develope as I am playing more regularly. My max D is only about 300'.

So, as I was reading the forums I got really interested in MVP, especially when the Anode came out. I read everything I could about it and the Axis. In June I ordered 2 soft Anodes, 1 Med and an Axis.

The person who started me golfing had the good sense to give me a DX Roc, although he never fully explained why a beat DX can be great. Well I have been working on beating one in and it was just finally getting to the sweat spot when I got the Axis. I just ordered and received a Vector, which booted the last Roc out of my bag. For 7 years, the only disc that has been consistently in the bag were Rocs. I never thought I would stop carrying and using them.

The Axis is my new favorite disc, in large part because it is what I had hoped my beat DX Roc would become, and so much more (not sure if that was a realistic hope) right out of the box.

My home course is Highland Springs in Lakeport, CA, a Steady Ed designed course. Its been tweaked over the years, but it offers a huge variety of shots, and is mostly wooded. There is ample opportunity/need for a mid that goes straight, holds a hyzer, and holds an anhyzer.

Right away I felt comfortable with the Axis, like I had been throwing it for years. I feel I can trust it to hold any line I put it on, like no other disc I have ever thrown. As many others have said, its point and shoot. It holds pretty much any angle, even tiny, tiny ones, all the way to the ground. The only exception I have found is if you don't get enough spin, and/or get it too high it can stall out and fade, just like any other disc. It is pretty decent into the wind, as long as its not a huge wind. I have threaded holes and gaps in tree lines more often since throwing this disc than I ever have in the past 7 years of golfing. It is simply a versatile, confidence inspiring disc. I actually want to throw it over drivers whenever I can because I feel like I can control it and place it better. Although, my FD Jackel gives it a run for the money in the confidence inspired department.

It has improved my game immensely, due to its line holding capabilities, and due to how I approach shots mentally. Having read most of the reviews and pages of threads on MVP discs, I went into using this disc knowing I needed to put good spin/snap on it. Well, that has carried over to my drivers as well. Since I started throwing my Anodes, and Axis I have become far more consistent, my pathetic distance has increased, and I land in the fairway/where I aim far more often than I used to. Now, thats not the disc that made that happen, but its because I read the reviews by Mike C and discspeed and knew that they wanted that spin/snap.

So, as a developing, enthusiastic, ex-Roc throwing, disc golfer, thats my review of my new favorite disc. I am eagerly looking forward to getting familiar with the Vector, and soon I will have an Ion, and the Volt as well. The quality of MVP discs has me hooked.
Rogue9
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Axis

Previous

Return to Equipment