Halp! How to make BH rollers turn right???

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Halp! How to make BH rollers turn right???

Postby Mike C » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:05 pm

I so confused, my roller always wants to go left but everyone else can make theirs go right? What I am doing wrong?????

Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Re: Halp! How to make BH rollers turn right???

Postby Blake_T » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:28 pm

2 reasons.

1. the XXX is one of the 3 most overstable discs on the market right now... getting one of those to pan right at the end is going to be nearly impossible unless you have a headwind and land it vertically.

2. your roller motion OATs under. you have no back arch or lean back that allow your right shoulder to drop during your finish. basically, you're using an elbow twist rather than your torso to power the roller.

speed is what makes a disc stand up and turn topside. how much speed is needed is based on disc stability. understable = easier to stand/turn. overstable = harder to stand/turn.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby zpitman135 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:28 pm

For starters for backhand rollers you are typically going to use an understable disc. especially if you're giving it as much air time as you are. I cant see the disc hit the ground very well, but i imagine you are probably throwing a cut roller. If you want to use the xxx then i would suggest making contact with the ground earlier at a pretty steep angle. for best results try something more along the lines of a sidewinder or maybe considering you have a big arm an esp nuke. i have about 400ft of power and use a z nuke ss which works extremely well for me. I release at about a 30-45 degree angle it turns a little more in the air before it hits the ground.
zpitman135
Noob

Favorite Disc: Supersoft Wizard

Postby Mike C » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:50 pm

*points to video title*

Sorry just having some fun :)
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Booter » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:07 pm

try bh rolling a domier disc. itll want to turn to the flight plate faster than a xxx. i usually bh roll my qjls,rr,flat wraith,td, buzzz,even putters with ease
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby Mike C » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:32 pm

Ok legit rollers, I just wanted to see what happened when I rolled the XXX (~300' left turning roll).

Blake what you said in #2 is really obvious in thee videos, you're right.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:36 am

yeah. you won't be belting any 600' rollers as is.

i usually pull my rollers fairly high... like in front of my face where i'm looking at the stamp as it's easier to dial in the angle that way. when the disc passes the center of your body you should be leaned backwards and the disc is almost over your chest.

on this second video you are "telegraphing" like a 5 degree anhyzer. the point of your elbow has to be facing slightly upwards if you want to telegraph it clean and establish your plane.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Mark Ellis » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:21 am

A roller is just an extreme anhyzer. If your roller (rhbh) is not finishing to the right then you are not turning it enough (you need more of an anhyzer line), meaning that the angle of the disc when it touches the ground is wrong. So anhyzer harder ( flip the disc over a bit more) and your roller will finish right. Using a more understable disc is one way to do this.

If a roller stands straight up as it rolls then it will finish in the direction of the top of the disc ( the flight plate). This rule is true whether the disc is thrown forehand or backhand or right hand or left hand.

If a roller hits the ground and lacks enough angle to stand up straight as it rolls then it is a cut roller and does the opposite ( the disc will finish in the direction of the under side of the disc).

The angle of the disc when it touches the ground is one of the keys to a roller ( the other three are 1) the landing zone 2) the speed of the disc and 3) the obstacles it encounters). To throw an effective roller you must get all 4 right-or get lucky.

Once you can make your roller turn right then you face the next hurdle: how to control where your roller stops. A few hours practice every day for the next decade or so will help a lot.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby jenb » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:47 am

Try a Groove. Groves make good (t)rollers.
:p
jenb
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: judge

Postby new013 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:26 pm

Soccer ball... rolls everytime

and youre so full of it Mike.. no way can you throw a roller 300'
"F*ck... here comes that guy New013."
new013
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TL

Postby pg043 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:48 pm

use a more understable disc of course and watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0Oj8NYGNEk

Then watch yours. You are coming straight across the chest, but watch how Nikko throws it on a big arc, like swinging a pendulum. Lean way backwards so that your swing starts low and moves in an upward arc.
PDGA #36459 | Destroyer | Xcaliber | Leopard | Teebird | Banshee |Drone | Buzzz | Wizard
pg043
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Buzzz

Return to Technique