VIDEO. Need repair/ corrective suggestions! please help

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

VIDEO. Need repair/ corrective suggestions! please help

Postby velcro333 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:39 am

I am starting this thread, primarily, because this is probably the most informative and helpful site i have found when it comes to this sort of thing. I am going to upload, over the next few days a series of vids of my backhand driving at practice sessions. I would like those who are willing to help correct my flaws in my form so that I can achieve maximum snap, rip, and performance. All are welcome and you will not hurt my feelings. I am of the the opinion that one must lose before one can learn. I am willing to try just about anything and have no problem breaking it back down to the basics.
I have been playing disc golf for just shy of two (2) years. I am rhbh thrower but not exclusively. I use the rhfh when needed and achieve roughly 450' easily with this technique. It is not, however my "go-to" throw. It takes a toll on the arm and elbow after overuse and because of the course layout in my region (southeast) it leaves me with crummy shots. My perfect scenario, is to master the drive from both sides of the tee with confidence. I want to be able to pick my shot based on the hole and the conditions, not my ability or lack thereof.
My backhand, like many is manageable on good days and frustrating on bad ones. This is due to the inconsistencies in my fundamentals, I believe. Because of my learning style, possibly, it is a better tool to watch and read and practice to learn. I can achieve about 400'-450' when I am clicking (with what feels and looks like poor form). when I am off, however, I suffer from a myriad of issues. OAT, early release, grip-lock, sloppy foot-work etc...
I am 29 years of age and completely healthy. Spend 3-5 days a week in the gym doing various work-outs that change consistently. 5'8'' in height. Weight=178lbs.
Putt is solid. I use various wizards for this along with most of my upshots. I have a straddle technique for almost all putts (50' and in) using Blake T's Short arm technique and I must say it definitely works. Outside of that I adjust to a more staggered/jump technique.
My Bag is made up of 3-4 wizards, 2 rocs, old barstamp buzz, 1 dga squall, 2-3 wraiths, 2-3 teebirds, destro, xcalibur.
The more stable stuff is for those headwind forehander's that you have to really yank. I can reach my 400' range backhand with the other drivers consistently on the good days i mentioned earlier. The problem in my game is my consistency. I wanna be "on" much more frequently and I want the community's help.
Thanks again for the help in advance. All feedback is welcome and greatly appreciated. Hopefully this will be a learning experience for not just myself, but others.
I'm sure we could derive a wealth of knowledge from just one short video so they will be coming in at a rate of 2 per day roughly. Thank you again.

[youtube]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/60vTAK2HxZc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]

or if this doesn't work here is the link:
http://youtu.be/60vTAK2HxZc
velcro333
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Re: VIDEO. Need repair/ corrective suggestions! please help

Postby velcro333 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:47 am

here we go

[youtube]http://youtu.be/60vTAK2HxZc[/youtube]
velcro333
Noob

Postby keltik » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:32 pm

you have to use the long link
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby zpitman135 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:42 pm

I'm working on critiquing videos so bare with me. Don't have too much time to go in depth, but it definitely looks like you're strong arming it. until very recently I was doing the same thing. you just have to realize it's the body that's powering the throw not your arm. Also you are looking back at the disc during your reach back. Moving your head that much is going to have a negative impact on your accuracy. watch some pros throw and you'll see how they basically move their head as little as possible to still get an adequate reach back.
zpitman135
Noob

Favorite Disc: Supersoft Wizard

Postby velcro333 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:40 am

Thank you for the tips. I went out yesterday and worked on some things including "working from the hit backwards". This was very helpful in slowing things down and trying not to strong-arm the disc. One thing that I found is that when I slow down and focus on the "hit" I do get the correct release and desired nose angle but the snap is somewhat lessened. Is this a result of less focus on hip rotation and footwork? Will this become stronger with time? In the past, with my poor form as seen in the video, I could get a little more snap but you are correct, it was all arm..
I was very encouraged though with the progress that even just one day of watching film and focusing on small things can actually render improvement. I felt very happy with the lines I was getting. Also, my body felt less fatigued after many many throws.
velcro333
Noob

Postby JR » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:27 am

Did you see my reply in the technique section?

Slower throw creates less snap because there's less momentum to load the tendons. I wouldn't worry about that. The looser the head to body connection is the problems you're gonna get. Flexibility helps. In avoiding injuries too.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby velcro333 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:58 am

JR,
I did see the reply and thank you for the tips. What I gathered: hips and shoulders locked in neuteral, dropping throwing hand-arm during follow through.
I am going out again today and will focus on these factors primarily. Maintaining a more relaxed and flexible body and executing the hit with more open hips and shoulders as well as the head issues. Also, executing the follow through cleanly with arms and the step-through.
Two days ago I implemented some of the initial tips with some degree of success. Yesterday, the results were similar. I will continue these today while implementing your suggestions here. Will revert with progress report and video of the updated form. Thanks again for the help.
velcro333
Noob

Postby JR » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:19 pm

Sounds good, have fun drilling :-)
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Video Critique