Hilton Bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Hilton Bag

Postby jhilton » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:55 pm

Alrighty, here is my bag. I am struggling a bit in the fairway driver space but I am interested in all around thoughts. I recently got rid of some higher speed discs, but power wise I can throw my P-PD about 360 and a Teebird about 320 (given the 35 degree average temp around here)

Distance Drivers
175 C-PD - Most Overstable distance driver (I throw this in lots of wind)
175 S-PD - Overstable distance driver (I throw this in some headwind, or for a strong left finish over distance)
175 P-PD - Fresh and stable (I throw this fairly straight with dependable left fade at the end)
175 P-PD - Beat in some, control driver (This shapes lines in either direction, or can go nuts straight)
171 ESP Avenger SS - turnover driver (Right turns, rollers)
169 ESP Avenger SS - turnover driver (backs up the 171 Avenger SS)

Fairway Drivers
172 Champion Firebird - OVERSTABLE (I use this for all utility shots, and for flick shots)
163 Champion Firebird - Overstable (I use this for flick shots that I want to go straight longer than the heavier firebird can)
175 Star Eagle X - New and loving it (I use this for fairway drives with wind or if I need a good strong left finish)
175 Star Teebird - Stable (Goes nice a straight for a long while, then makes a good left turn. Tends to be flippy in the wind, tons of glide)
175 Echo Star Leopard - I replaced a TL with this going for straight shots with one less mold, I am not totally happy with it yet as it has a kind of swooping finish left that prevents it from being a good tunnel driver.
175 Pro Leopard - Turnover fairway drives (Nice straight finish, but not HSS enough to tunnel drive).

Mid-Range
175 Glo Buzzz - Mid shots that need to fade left
175 Z Buzzz - Dead straight mid shots
175 Buzzz SS - Mid shots that turnover slightly right
175 D Buzzz - Mid shots that turnover slightly right, and shots over water where losing a cheap disc won't hurt my feelings

Putters
175 SS Wizards Main Putter
175 SS Wizard Backup Putter

So my main concerns currently center around the fairway slots, although I am open to thoughts throughout. I feel like I have too many molds in the fairways and I am concerned about tunnel shots (my home course has a 780 ft par 5 that is only 20 feet wide for the first 500 feet). I feel like the leopards fly more graceful turning lines than my TL did but I am not sure that the TL had the turnover potential of the Leopards. I don't quite have enough power to snap a Teebird to finish dead straight at the finish, otherwise that disc could fill the slot.

Thoughts?
jhilton
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Re: Hilton Bag

Postby Danforth » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:39 pm

You might try seeing if DX Teebirds will do what you want the Leopards to do.

I'm suprised that you can get the D Buzzz to turnover, do you have OAT issues? Mine are all dead straight, even when beat up. Maybe I just got a very stable run of plastic.
VoodooWizardBuzzLeoT-BirdFirebirdProSF

"Hitler and Mussolini were only the primary spokesmen for the attitude of domination and craving for power that are in the heart of almost everyone. Until the source is cleared, there will always be confusion and hate, wars and class antagonisms." - Jiddu Krishnamurti
Danforth
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TeeChicken

Postby JR » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:22 pm

Mids are better for tunnels than FW drivers. With Champ Leo being the straightest. Squall is halfway between the Leo and the Buzzz except it has turn like the Leo.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby jhilton » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:52 pm

Bag Updated

Distance Drivers
175 C-PD - Most Overstable distance driver (I throw this in lots of wind)
175 S-PD - Overstable distance driver (I throw this in some headwind, or for a strong left finish over distance)
175 P-PD - Beat in some, control driver (This shapes lines in either direction, or can go nuts straight)
175 ESP Avenger SS - Fresh disc, more stable than the lighter one, but still understable
171 ESP Avenger SS - turnover driver (Right turns, rollers)

Fairway Drivers
172 Champion Firebird - OVERSTABLE (I use this for all utility shots, and for flick shots)
163 Champion Firebird - Overstable (I use this for flick shots that I want to go straight longer than the heavier firebird can)
175 Star Eagle X (x2) - Stable (I use this for fairway drives with wind or if I need a good strong left finish and I carry a backup)
171 Star TD - Straight to understable Fairway shots, this thing works great for tunnels and gentle right turns

Mid-Range
175 Z Hornet - Mid shots with a nice left glidey finish, also handles sidearm mid shots nicely
175 Z Buzzz - Dead straight mid shots
175 Buzzz SS - Mid shots that turnover slightly right
175 D Buzzz - Mid shots that turnover slightly right, and shots over water where losing a cheap disc won't hurt my feelings

Putters
175 Organic Wizard - Approach shots 60 to 200
175 SSS Wizard - Putting only

Current thoughts and/or questions:

1) I feel like there maybe some overlap between the Eagles and the PDS, thoughts?
2) I think I may want to try out a faster disc to push the distance envelope, I've tried Wraiths and Destroyers, but they are so inconsistent across molds and just do not fly right for me. I have a Surge I may try to work in. Any other suggestions?
jhilton
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby JR » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:10 pm

Beast is about equally as long as the Surge and as Surges vary some may be equally HSS and i have a less HSS Surge. Because Surges fade more you could very possibly not have too much overlap carrying both if the Surge turns out to be too LSS for each shot you need. For me the Beast is the superior anny disc in long turns and the Surge is better for shots that need to flex out. Beast is easier to grip being thinner winged and it has a lower power requirement. Especially using mid 160s weights.

The TD overlaps some with the straight P PD and the Eagles add range limitation and depending on the individual and the wear can add more hooking finishes so carrying one ain't a problem IMO. Essentially the SEX flies like an underpowered beefy PD. So it is your preference what you use but the medium beefy to beefy S and C PDs fight winds very well so is that your way out of the SEX? Could be it is your prefefence that counts. Do you wanna huck hard or power down?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion