$1000 fine for throwing a Frisbee?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

$1000 fine for throwing a Frisbee?

Postby Mark Ellis » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:15 pm

According to a news report, throwing a frisbee on a beach in Los Angeles county could result in a $1000 fine.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/02/ ... n-beaches/

Now future gang warfare will have to be done with lethal weapons. No more settling turf differences with a spirited game of Guts.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental
User avatar
 
Posts: 947
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:32 pm
Location: Brighton, Michigan
Favorite Disc: Rattler

Re: $1000 fine for throwing a Frisbee?

Postby keltik » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:44 pm

Wow they must be really broke out there on the left coast.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator
User avatar
 
Posts: 3384
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: High Point NC
Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Re: $1000 fine for throwing a Frisbee?

Postby Hoey » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:46 pm

I'm sure they have a good reason :roll:
Throw discs, and forget about life for awhile...
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1746
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:20 pm
Location: outside the circle
Favorite Disc: fuse

Re: $1000 fine for throwing a Frisbee?

Postby JimW » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:47 pm

The best part of the article is the poll on the bottom about what people think the real reason for the ordinance is. County Cash Grab is winning over Public Safety at 98.2%.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls


The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1381
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:08 pm
Location: Seminole, FL
Favorite Disc: Whatever

Re: $1000 fine for throwing a Frisbee?

Postby jsun3thousand » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:11 pm

JimW wrote:The best part of the article is the poll on the bottom about what people think the real reason for the ordinance is. County Cash Grab is winning over Public Safety at 98.2%.


wrong. the best part is the comment section. get your tinfoil hat before you start reading.
Scooot_er wrote:And disc golfers aren't always the smartest bunch.
jsun3thousand
wants to be the president of the don zimmer memorial charity foundation of america inc
User avatar
 
Posts: 3381
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:32 pm
Location: the tomb of don zimmer
Favorite Disc: #63

Re: $1000 fine for throwing a Frisbee?

Postby DiscerBob » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:51 pm

There was a recent story about a lady on Huntington Beach getting hit in the face with a golf disc and having to go to the hospital for a broken nose and internal trauma. Apparently a rogue wind kicked up and carried a disc over (which was probably thrown carelesly) from a local course. The woman is asking the city to pick up the tab on the bill for the resetting of her nose and probably something extra too. PS. Footballs are also in the law. Now only volleyballs and beachballs are allowed on the beach.
DiscerBob
Noob
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:11 am
Favorite Disc: Wraith

Re: $1000 fine for throwing a Frisbee?

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:31 pm

Hot stamp the words "Beach Ball" on a catch disc and see if that flies...
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1652
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:42 pm
Location: Twin Cities

Re: $1000 fine for throwing a Frisbee?

Postby NoLifeLeft » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:03 am

I blame this.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1655
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:13 pm
Location: Winchester, VA
Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Re: $1000 fine for throwing a Frisbee?

Postby Jaysus » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:29 am

NoLifeLeft> Thank you for posting that and saving me from searching for it! ;)
Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1059
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 1:32 pm
Location: H'burg, PA

Re: $1000 fine for throwing a Frisbee?

Postby Leopard » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:53 am

disc golf outrage is strong

we rage over the dumbest petty shit

so for something actually outrageous to come into our periphery... oh my sweet jesus christ, it's gonna be a shitstorm


also, it's LA county so i give a bazillionth of a fuck but it's a funny occurence
also, i want to play water polo over the pacific... that sounds fun.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer
User avatar
 
Posts: 4464
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: 30 miles x 100 miles x stinking island
Favorite Disc: Leo

Re: $1000 fine for throwing a Frisbee?

Postby Dbuntu » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:20 pm

Overall, this rates pretty low on my list of reasons to avoid LA.
1. It's LA
...
203. Fines for throwing discs.
It is a poor carpenter who blames his tools
Dbuntu
Noob
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Location: Nashville
Favorite Disc: All of them

Re: $1000 fine for throwing a Frisbee?

Postby jsun3thousand » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:22 pm

Leopard wrote:disc golf outrage is strong

we rage over the dumbest petty shit

so for something actually outrageous to come into our periphery... oh my sweet jesus christ, it's gonna be a shitstorm


also, it's LA county so i give a bazillionth of a fuck but it's a funny occurence
also, i want to play water polo over the pacific... that sounds fun.



thank you.
Scooot_er wrote:And disc golfers aren't always the smartest bunch.
jsun3thousand
wants to be the president of the don zimmer memorial charity foundation of america inc
User avatar
 
Posts: 3381
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:32 pm
Location: the tomb of don zimmer
Favorite Disc: #63

Re: $1000 fine for throwing a Frisbee?

Postby nohr » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:23 pm

if we only knew a lawyer we could do something about this....
nohr
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: $1000 fine for throwing a Frisbee?

Postby jsun3thousand » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:40 pm

the dgcr version is way more fun. it's just like comments on the article but with the awesome addition of mccarthy jr's hypocritical and incoherent misspelled comments. it's like bacon on a cheese burger.
Scooot_er wrote:And disc golfers aren't always the smartest bunch.
jsun3thousand
wants to be the president of the don zimmer memorial charity foundation of america inc
User avatar
 
Posts: 3381
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:32 pm
Location: the tomb of don zimmer
Favorite Disc: #63

Re: $1000 fine for throwing a Frisbee?

Postby Star Shark » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:56 am

DiscerBob wrote:There was a recent story about a lady on Huntington Beach getting hit in the face with a golf disc and having to go to the hospital for a broken nose and internal trauma. Apparently a rogue wind kicked up and carried a disc over (which was probably thrown carelesly) from a local course. The woman is asking the city to pick up the tab on the bill for the resetting of her nose and probably something extra too. PS. Footballs are also in the law. Now only volleyballs and beachballs are allowed on the beach.


That was former hole 2 at Huntington Beach Central Park. Long shot with a left hook at the end. If you didn't hook, there was a walking/biking path right there. Several people got hit since the advent of discs like the Wraith and the Force so they reoconfigured the hole.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1472
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:27 am
Location: Studio City, CA
Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Next

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests