thumbers!?!

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

thumbers!?!

Postby wilburg » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:39 pm

what type and weight do you guys throw out there for your thumbs and tomahawks? I've been throwing a 175 orc and allready know that this is the worng type of disc to throw (specifically because of the weight- ouch!)
wilburg
Noob

Postby bigs348 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:55 pm

I've found that a 174 Champ Orc is the best thumber disc for me, but you already know that's not working for you.

I know a lot of people use Firebirds, and the general consensus seems to be that a more overstable disc works the best. I threw a couple throws with a Speed Demon a while back and that flew pretty nice for me.

As far as weight, I don't really know. I've thrown a few discs (Beast, Orc, XL) in the low to mid 160s, but it was much too fluttery in it's flight with the amount of power I had on it. I've never had problems with a max weight disc for overhands, but I'm also 6'6", 280, and I threw discus and shotput for 6 years so my shoulder is used to having some strain on it.

I'd say maybe try out a few overstable discs in a few different weights (throw other people's discs out on the course, get some DX, or whatever -- with overhands I can tell inside of 5 throws how well it'll work), and then when you find what works for you, buy that in Champ/Z plastic for the inevitable trees that you'll be hitting throwing out of crap.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:25 pm

generally with thumbers if you have the arm heavier is better than lighter, because all the D you get is penetration not glide. If youre not the biggest arm overhand you may benifit from a lighter disc.

Overstable discs tend to be longer becasue it takes more to get them all the way over so they dont drop as soon.

and if youre looking for more comfort I reccomend the flick. Ive used firebirds, avengers, orcs, predators, reapers and others, but I find the flick to be superior in every way but distance.

The flick im throwing is a 166, alittle lighter than I perfer which is 170, it is most comfortable due to its shallow profile and its very fast and plenty overstable. And one of my favortie parts is it rolls less when it hits which adds to the predicability. (although a roll can give more distance)

for me thumbers dont need to be long, I throw them because you can throw 100 thumbers and they will land within a 30' radius, 100 knife hyzers will be more sparatic, athrough they are capable of being more accurate, but If you want to throw longer thumbers my best distance was with predators and reapers, although both were rather discomfortable.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby adidadg » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:41 am

I like throwing Orcs and Monsters for thumbers, the Orcs tend to be a little longer but the Monster seems more consistent.

If you want a disc specifically for thumbers, get an Aerobie Epic. Thrown hard, they will corkscrew 270 degrees and actually finish on a hyzer line, adding at least 40-60% more distance than your regular thumber shot. As far as I know this is the only disc that behaves this way. Distance wise, no disc even comes close to the epic when thrown as a thumber. Check out some of the reviews on it.

The best thing to do is experiment with every disc in your bag, you'll find that some behave quite different from each other when thrown overhand, and each can be good for different situations. But if its pure distance you want, get an Epic.
adidadg

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:39 am

I also throw a Champ Orc (172) as my thumber disc. That baby is the best thumber/tomahawk disc I have ever had.

I have also thrown the epic and I agree that disc was amazing. That would be in my bag if I wanted to carry a 'just overhand' disc but I just don't throw enough of them to make it worthwhile.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby sleepy » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:50 am

Does anyone use one disc for thumbers and a different one for tomahawks?

Are the shots themselves interchangable? If not, when is the thumber preferrable to the tomahawk, and vice versa? I've only ever thrown tomahawks, (I find them more comfortable in my hand) and only then when I need to blast through trees, etc. Am I missing something by not throwing thumbers?

I hope this is on-topic enough for the thread...

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:24 pm

I use ony one disc for both.

As for if they are interchangable, for me they are two different throws. The tomahawk flies straight and I can control better how it flips. The thumber though I have much less control over and the flip always seem to take longer for me. The thumber goes farther for me, probably due to the extended flip but is less accurate. I also use it only when I have more room to work with. The Tomahawk is for the tight, smash through trees throw.

I don't know if most people have the same experiences but that is how it is for me.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:38 pm

The epic is a great disc, when thrown like a thumber although I wouldnt call it a thumber, because it does have a different path, call it a thumber flip or something :lol: Its a good shot for getting over stuff, but its not the same predicable shot I love the thumber for.

And for using different discs for thumbers and tommys, I still do not have a great tommy (and am testing different discs) but I do have a consistant thumber. I cannot yet throw my thumber disc (flick) for tommys because I dont get it to flip enough.

Generally tommys move right to left, while thumbers are left to right. I find thumbers to me more benificial to a rhbh players game because its hard to get up and down on a left to right line w/ o having a sidearm spike hyzer. Thumbers area also longer for most :wink:
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby bigs348 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:46 pm

There are very few times I find that I can use a tomahawk, but I throw thumbers all the time. Thumbers are great for a left to right shot that is hard for a righthander, and they will also skip to the right when thrown low.

I never feel that I have that good of a grip with a tomahawk to get sufficient power on the throw. With a thumber, my thumb can grip very tight and I can get a lot of snap and spin on the throw. I'll only really use a tomahawk when I want to throw a short pan shot that I want to turn over on its back to the right and slide up to the pin.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:44 pm

Theres one position on one hole where I find the tomohawk being the best shot. The rest fit thumbers/knife hyzers/grenades much better. (gotta love grenades :P )
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby f00b4r » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:49 pm

I have an Arobie Epic for thumbers. and has been working wonderfully. Originally bought it beliving the stuff they printed on the cover. Silly me for beliving everything. No wonder i think Arnie is doing a good job :shock:

Funny thing is my only Ace came with the epic 8)
"We are sorry for the inconvenience"
Douglas Adams
f00b4r
Noob

Postby wilburg » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:29 pm

sweet feedback! Yesterday I was throwing a 150 orc in hopes it would be easier on my shoulder and would go further. Well it wasn't that much easier and it did not go any further at all due to its crazy vibration during flight(obviously way to light). I think I'm just going to stick with the 170-175 orc and hope I can get that throw down before some of our oregon summer tourney's. It seems like such an important shot to have it's funny that I haven't realized it until now :cry:
wilburg
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:05 am

posted this today on the pdga board:

a lot of it depends upon what type of flight/distance you are going for.

high speed stability affects the rate/speed of the corkscrew.
low speed overstability seems to affect the predictability of the flex and the pan time of the disc (vs. the disc being vertical).

for short range shots with a quick corkscrew, something high speed understable is ideal.

for longer range controlled shots, a disc that is high speed stable will give more control over the corkscrew.

for raw max D, the players i know that throw thumbers in excess of 350' generally favor discs that are high speed understable, low speed overstable, especially when throwing a double corkscrew or a corkscrew that will come out flat and S.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Return to General Discussion