a.k's bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

a.k's bag

Postby a.k » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:47 am

I've been playing disc for almost a year now, started all forehands for the first few months until i started learning how to throw backhand. To learn, I started watching pros and doing drills on this site and now i am about 70 % BH and 30% FH my distance with drivers has reached around 400 on a good throw. mids are up to 300-320. and putters up to 250. I feel like my bag is pretty solid but i feel like it is missing something. (help!). I am sure there is some overlap in the bag, but oh well :D thanks to everyone who helps! all comments are nice.

Star Boss175 Max D mild headwinds
Star Boss168 Control Max D Beat can be flipped
Pro boss175 Really long holes just bought but can fly 30 feet further than star boss. yay
C-PD175 Just bumped the firebird from the bag. BAsicallly longer a little straighter firebird
S-PD175 New go to driver in most situations BH or FH.
C-PD2170 Head wind driver most overstable disc in the bag, primary FH disc can be used for flex shots.
Star Eagle172 LIttle more understable, turns than fades back reliably
Star Eagle170 Understable used for flips and all the fun understabe stuff.
Champ Valkrie 172- beat flips and turns that don't fade back nice on some wooded courses in the area
Champ Archon175 Super Reliable S curves not used often but enough to keep in the bag
C-MD2180 Go to mid-range straight with little fade or can be used at a hyzer angle to fight headwinds.
C- MD2180 Back up!
Z Buzz177 used for right turns that don't require fade back, (working towards all md2 but it fit for now).
Star and Dx Aviar175 My throwing putters, i had a few of them i didn't use so I use them to throw
Psycho 175x2 Primary putters,
a.k
Noob

Favorite Disc: md-2

Re: a.k's bag

Postby JR » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:49 am

Why don't you use the P2s for drives? Do you have many tight tunnels that need discs that must not fade? If so then you do need a less fading disc like the Aviar. If not the P2 could work alone for putting and driving. If durability is an issue in D-Line an S-Line will take care of that. It fades a hair more and takes winds way better.

Eagles vary and i have had a terribly overstable one that is not very fairway driver like. Depending on what kind of PDs (they vary too) and what kind of Eagles you have they may overlap.

You might be able to pull off using the PD alone just powering down them for some line shaping. Once you beat a flat P PD enough it will be able to replace the Valk for annies. Lighter ones are money for this shot. I have a 159 that as a main driver was great for a few months. Then it became a great anny driver.

The Valk and a beat Pro Boss could handle s-curves. The Boss may need an anny release. So the archon may be redundant except if you want less fade than the Boss with more D than the Valk.

I wouldn't worry about keeping the Buzzz with the MD2. According to some Innova players it is Innova Buzzz. Z Buzzz is better in the wind than domey MD2s and jubuttib praises flatter MD2s. I haven't thrown those. The flatter ones sound like Buzzzes.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby a.k » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:40 am

Ya that sounds about what I'm working toward. Most of the random discs like the valk and archon are so and so fillers till I get something that can do it. The pro boss is gonna replace the archon and I'm hoping I can get more pd's over time getting a little low on the thing called money :p and that is also why I have those aviars in the bag too cause I just got d line psychos. But thanks for your insight though
a.k
Noob

Postby a.k » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:41 pm

Well played today and didn't touch the eagles at all. The pd's have all my fairway shots covered so i took them out of the bag. The buzz is also out as of now also. But i feel like something is missing in the mid range section, can't get good anhyzers out of the md-2 right now so what would be a good fit to compliment the md-2
a.k
Noob

Postby JR » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:53 am

Something that hokds an anny all the way to the ground at way less than full power. shape and grip counts so i'd fondle mids at a store. Usual suspects for understable mids are AMS/QMS Q for more durability and if grip tackiness is an issue there are soft fairly tacky QMSs around. Panthers and Coyotes should work. Perhaps lighter Makos too and if you break in a D Buzzz or a little longer project an X Buzzz they could work too. But it is difficult to top an X Comet. Fuse and Flying Squirrel are contenders for the Comet for the title of king of understable mid. Comets have beads so it's a preference thing if it suits you.

Small diameter options for shorter than the wide mids woukd be a DX Shark and longer than the wide mids a Kite. The Skeeter is more understable but also more squirrely than the Kite. Breaking in an S Sabre could work but it is the longest lasting base plastic so it will take time. It's longer than wide diameter mids. There are too many understable mids.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby a.k » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:40 pm

yeah last night I was actually debating to try a comet and was reading up on it. It might be a good fit I think cause even if it goes straight which is what it is supposed to do, it won't fade much which would be nice on some lines.
P.S. I agree 100 % there are waaaay to many understable mids lol
a.k
Noob

Postby a.k » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:34 pm

Well I tried The comet today it was exactly what I wanted and I'm hoping it will also clean up my form since the rest of my game was a bunch of poo haha doesn't help that there was snow all over but oh well ha
a.k
Noob

Postby JR » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:42 pm

Welcome to the Comet lovers :-D The more you learn that disc the more you will love it. Especially for tunnels and escape shots with little room to throw. The low power requirement vs the long distance it gets from such low input is amazing.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby a.k » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:25 pm

Haha I noticed, first throw was a short like 300 foot down hill shot and I barely flicked the wrist and wham hit the tree 20 behind the pin I was like whoa lol
a.k
Noob

Postby a.k » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:31 am

Alright I played with this setup for a few rounds and decided to write since we just got a good 4 inches of snow in one day and supposed to get more today (damn Iowa weather). and decided that the boss wasn't doing what i wanted right now and put back in the champion destroyer i used to throw to try and break it in its a really domey one that is a meat hook so I am going to try and break it in. And I added a pro wraith for shits and giggles. so right now the bag is...
CPd-2 Big left hooks that go far
Star Firebird (it has been windy here)
Champ Destroyer Max D as of now, trying to break it in for striaghter shots
Pro wraith bought it on a splurge and never really gave it a fair shot
S-pd Still straight control
C-pd straight with a little more fade than the S
Valkyrie really close to losing its spot in the bag, last couple times it hasn't turned at all even in a head wind.
C-Md2 straight with fade or hyzers
Z-comet beat (was given to me by a friend) turns or flips and still goes right
Z-comet Newish striaght with a little turn
Star Aviar for approaches and putter drives since I had a star to throw, thinking about getting replaced thought about trying some MVP plastic
Psycho for putts
a.k
Noob

Postby a.k » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:31 am

Alright I played with this setup for a few rounds and decided to write since we just got a good 4 inches of snow in one day and supposed to get more today (damn Iowa weather). and decided that the boss wasn't doing what i wanted right now and put back in the champion destroyer i used to throw to try and break it in its a really domey one that is a meat hook so I am going to try and break it in. And I added a pro wraith for shits and giggles. so right now the bag is...
CPd-2 Big left hooks that go far
Star Firebird (it has been windy here)
Champ Destroyer Max D as of now, trying to break it in for striaghter shots
Pro wraith bought it on a splurge and never really gave it a fair shot
S-pd Still straight control
C-pd straight with a little more fade than the S
Valkyrie really close to losing its spot in the bag, last couple times it hasn't turned at all even in a head wind.
C-Md2 straight with fade or hyzers
Z-comet beat (was given to me by a friend) turns or flips and still goes right
Z-comet Newish striaght with a little turn
Star Aviar for approaches and putter drives since I had a star to throw, thinking about getting replaced thought about trying some MVP plastic
Psycho for putts
a.k
Noob

Postby CatPredator » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:17 am

a.k wrote:Valkyrie really close to losing its spot in the bag, last couple times it hasn't turned at all even in a head wind.

That's a strong indication that you should work with drivers in the 1.6-1.9cm rim width, speed 6-9 range until you pick up a little better control. Valks are pretty easy to push into turns, and it's the only driver I see listed that you'd have a realistic chance of throwing on controlled turnovers and hyzer flips.

I know everyone is gaga over PDs, and rightfully so, but you should pick up something along the lines of a Leopard, JLS, River, Eagle-L, FD etc. A true fairway driver that you can push into a high speed turn consistently and shape some different lines other than flat with fade or anhyzer that pans out and fades. PDs are great discs but there is a big control gap between your mids and drivers, especially for someone who has been playing for less than a year.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby a.k » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:42 pm

Yeah I have a couple beat up eagles I could throw in and use for a while, I want to play with it at least one more time because I'm hoping it was just an off day since I'm working on my form and timing and all the fun stuff
a.k
Noob

Postby a.k » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:59 pm

alright made a slower bag highest speed is nine (valkyrie and firebird). It consists of..
my same mids.
same putters
and drivers include
dx cheetah (beat)
Star eagle x3 (varying degrees from flipable to pretty overstable)
Champ teebird
Valkryie
Firebird
I am going to go throw for a little bit today and see what happens!
a.k
Noob

Postby a.k » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:46 pm

well after throwing for the first time with the slowed down bag, I can honestly say I need to work on my form haha. The slower bag was going about as far as the higher speed stuff and I feel like i have more control and maybe even more snap than I did previously.
a.k
Noob

Next

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion