Weight Shift

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Weight Shift

Postby soupdeluxe » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:11 pm

Hello All
Still working on my throw. I get warmed up starting with a small reachback and as I start feeling it reach further and further back until I reach this point where my timing and mechanics are toast. At this point I back up (right pec drill) and repeat etc. Last week when I went back to the right pec drill I realized I don't really do this drill very well. I do it better than when I started for sure but being self critical give myself about a "c". I started thinking about what I could do to make this drill work better. Everything seemed ok and then I remember reading something Blake wrote about someone going from 450 to 480 or something like that by going from weight back to weight forward instead of weight centered to weight forward. Anyway long story short I kept my weight fully back until the disc was just beyond the right pec and then brought it forward. The results were very good. The disc came out looking like a real shot instead of an anemic attempt of a shot. Couple of questions. In a full or fuller reachback do I want to be weight fully back until the right pec? Reason I ask is it seems as though I have to tilt my shoulders back allot to keep the weight back and then sort of lunge forward. I see others keep their shoulders on plane throughout. I also find my lead leg gets jammed up more doing this. Am I on the right track here? It sure feels good on a short reach but very awkward on a longer reachback. Thanks
SD
soupdeluxe
Noob

Favorite Disc: XD

Re: Weight Shift

Postby seabas22 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:45 pm

Sounds like you have some misconceptions about weight shift and are trying to shift your weight from in front of you instead of from behind you. When trying to shift from in front, you will get stuck back and spin out. You should feel weight centered dynamically throughout the throw, and the shift is something that just happens. If you try to shift your weight back you will lose balance. The weight shift happens as your heel plants and you brace and then throw. I think Brad's closed shoulder drill may help you more at this point.

Read and watch the vids in this thread for better understanding weight shift:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=24009

Closed Shoulder Drill:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22991

Weight Shift/Sequence Drill:
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby Redisculous » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:31 pm

Wow, that last video was extremely validating, as it was almost identical to the way I trained myself to get myself to the pocket using only my weight shift. It was the exact same drill, except from a standstill/no steps. I just came up on my toe to get my weight back, like when he named off some pro's and how they would roll from their toes to their feet.

It went something like this: reach back, get your weight waaaay back (up on that front toe), shift to neutral (roll from your toe to your foot), resist slightly with the shoulder/side, then just relax and let gravity do the rest. Instant 90 degree shoulder turn/arm whipping forward through the right pec position.

Of course, that's only have the weight shift, and half the throw, but that was what I needed to work on at that time...
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby fanter » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:06 pm

The multitude of Shawn Clement vids that Seabas has posted are really helping me think about some things. I notice how he talks about weight distribution between his legs (60/40). I wonder, because I tend to pull to early, if there is a certain distribution, when pushing from back foot to front, when it is crucial to pull? Is this the proper way to think about timing the pull?
fanter
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby seabas22 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:39 pm

The vid link below shows me using the second sequence drill with a PD and just missed chains, basket was about 350'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwJTsLtl1pk#t=5m56s

IIRC GG talked about timing the hit to when he shifts 100% of his weight on the plant foot. So the pull would be before 100% transfer, so 60/40 sounds like a good number for starting as you begin to brace with the heel. If you watch the Sports Science about the Happy Gilmore the footwork and posture is nearly identical 3min in vid.

The first vid 2min 45sec in first vid GG talks about shifting weight some and look at his posture going through the motion, shoulders behind the hips, and stacked in the followthrough. Second vid both GG and Macbeth are quite similar landing the toes rolling to the heel, shifting weight from behind, bracing, hips lead shoulders, finish nice and stacked.

seabas22
Tree Magnet

Postby Star Shark » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:11 am

It's interesting. Padraig instinctually added in an X-Step for the hip/shoulder turn factor.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby seabas22 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:42 am

I think the x-step is quite natural to a golf swing because you have to clear your hips into the backswing.

What's more interesting is when Padraig talks about how he plants more like a javelin thrower which stops his front hip quicker so he can get more acceleration through the shot.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:37 am

I think Padraig had spikes in those shoes so his foot pivot is stopped or at least retarded and probably late twisting his ankle in a nasty way. So the timing could be different in a proper DG throw. Notice i said could. Not certain of it because he looked fairly close to GG and Paul. And not bad at all. I wonder how he would have looked like without the spikes.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Technique