Practice Putting for Tourney

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Practice Putting for Tourney

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:59 pm

I am trying to get some practice in this week before a tourney this weekend.
I usually have at least 3 or 4 putters to practice. I have recently swtiched back to wizards from my bangers due to some angry rounds where I had more putts bounce out (alot of which I thought should stick).
Ive been throwing a wizard for almsot a week again now, and am definately putting better than I was with the bangers. So I plan on using it in the tourney.

Alright, the question is... While practice putting should I use only the one wizard I have, or use it and my two bangers, or even throw in an avair or x putt'r?
I usually perfer alot of the same putters, but thats not much a option this time...
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Jwt4412 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:08 pm

A stack of one mold.

If you've decided on what you are going to throw... throw it.

I would think...
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby discmonkey42 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:44 pm

The interesting thing for me is that out of my stack of 13, 175g Soft S Wizards, I can tell about 5 of them apart just by feel (dominess differences mostly). Kinda weird, but it just shows that a stack of the same thing really helps you learn your discs.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby wilburg » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:31 am

basically agree with the rest here. I push a 175 kc pro aviar and spin a 175 dx aviar. I have 5 of each and then an assortment of others all weighing 174 or 175. as far as my 10 to 15 foot putts, anything the same weight and feel works for me, mostly because I am focusing on repitition and muscle memory. anything beyond that I throw what I would in a tourney (especially the jumpers).
wilburg
Noob

Postby presidio hills » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:04 pm

in your situation... wanting to putt with the wizard in the tourney and only having one to practice with; i'd say use all your putters for a chunk of your practice session and then practice only using the one wizard. when using all of your putters you can build muscle memory with more putts and repition, when using just the wizard you can practice a more tournament style putt (taking your time, re-aiming your body everytime, putting from different spots) and build confidence with it. i saw a dude at a tourney this weekend i know is an awsome putter and between rounds he'd only practice putting with 1 putter... but he'd take his time, line that putt up, and give it a really good run, as opposed to just knocking 2 or 3 down from the same spot all in a row "bang, bang, bang".
i run on lazer beans
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:58 pm

alright, Thats kind of what I figured I would do. I will soon be ordering a stack of wizards, but I knew that wouldnt be helping for my current practice. thanks for the help everybody.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby roadkill » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:15 pm

I personaly like to have about 5 to 7 of the same mold when practicing.

However I think it's beneficial to step off your mark and re-setup before each putt. Rapid fire practice doesn't transfer over to actual tourney experience skills.

Mike Moser, who is one of the best putters in the game says he practices with just one aviar. (although I'm sure he owns a ton of them)
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:46 pm

It was nice today so I was outside the whole time getting some practice in, and trying to decide what im going to be throwing.

I stopped putting with the bangers all togeather (although I will have one in the bag in case I lose the wizard during the tourney). One of the problems I was having with them initially was I would get noodle armed by the end of a couple rounds. Putting with the wizard it NEEDS alittle more snap. (the wizard is new, and the bangers are both worn) I found myself weak arming my wizard alot today. The bangers can work with weak putts, but the wizard cant. Which is good, Im thinking knowing I need to snap the putt will help with consistancy.

I was having trouble with the height of the wizard. Some putts were getting high, others low. Not as many to the sides.

What can I do to get my height more consistant, was it just I was weak arming them and letting them get real floaty? Or was I compensating thinking I was going to putt weaker?
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby roadkill » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:22 pm

I find it helpful to focus on accelerating through my release and have a full follow through. I reach my fingertips towards the chains in the follow through.

When I really pay attention to a consistent follow through my heigth tends to be more consistent. Don't be tenative, putt with conviction and confidence.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Jwt4412 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:57 am

Roadkill,

That is the best advice I've read in a long time...

Thanks.

That really makes sense and I can visualize that.

Excellent description.
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:24 pm

In case anyone was wondering, or mabey I just felt like bragging...

I played well in the tourney, the new discs I was learning just a week before the tourney (element, element x, and sabre) all got their fare share of use, and didnt let me down once. I accually think I played better than if I had carried my old bag full of buzzz's for those shots. Also the Demon shaved a stroke or two, I found it perfect for some tricky doglegs the course was forcing.

And of course, what this forum was started for was my putting. The wizard definately sank a putt or two that I dont think I would have been too confident with with my worn bangers (it got a touch windy second round), Not to mention up shots...

Long story short, While my putting may have not been the best, it was fairly consistant and were thrown with confidence. Didnt three putt once, however I bounced 5 or 6 too many 30'+ putts off the basket than Id like, but I cant complain.
Final Results: 3rd place in my first Adv Am tourney (non sanctioned, but Im not a memeber anyways...) With some close competition. Also won a prize in the ring of fire with 50+ people contending. Trusty wizard. :D
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby discmonkey42 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:24 pm

Congrats. Top 3 is pretty strong!
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:52 pm

yeah, I was definately pretty happy about that finish, especially because the top 10 scores after the first round were only 5 tosses apart. Also knowing I am capable of playing better gives me hope for being able to really compete once I start playing sanctioned tourneys.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Fritz » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:05 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:alright, Thats kind of what I figured I would do. I will soon be ordering a stack of wizards, but I knew that wouldnt be helping for my current practice. thanks for the help everybody.

They wright life just got in a new shipment. Since you are in greeley that shouldn't be a bad drive. I'd get there asap.
Wizards tend to sell out fast.

What everyone else said, when I practice, I have all the same wizard. Right now I have 1 wizard that is a 172, 4 wizards that are 175, I'm working on replacing the 172 , cause I throw 175 Wizards. John Schiller told me when I asked him about putting, what disc should I use, he replied, find one that is comfortable, and set your mind on it and only it. He then showed me his stack of putters he has used since 1988. He hasn't every switched, he's never even tried a different putter. And when you see him in tournaments his putts are amazing.

You playing this weekend in Pueblo @ the Steel City Shootout?
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:06 pm

I wish I could make it, my funds are going to be focused more on school for the next couple weeks.

I still havent played peublo :x

Thanks for the heads up on wizards, I may make it over there friday...
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Next

Return to General Discussion