Talking bout stalking (stalkers post here)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Talking bout stalking (stalkers post here)

Postby himynameismatt » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:50 am

discspeed wrote:
himynameismatt wrote:I dropped Stalkers for TD's recently and should be able to give you a fairly good comparison...

The Stalker is about as straight as a TD in the 350-380 or so range that I throw them in. TD does fade harder than a Stalker in that range though. Stalker doesn't glide very well at all and requires quite a bit of snap and air under it for me to put it past 360'. The TD on the other hand glides very well and carries much further for me with the same amount of snap. When trying to work both discs past 370' the TD will turn smoothly and consistently ride flat and fade out. The Stalker does not like to be turned much at all as it will turn and never comeback. Neither disc hold hyzers particularly well, and I wouldn't throw either in anything but light wind.

Keep working with those Buzzz's. I too missed my Stalkers for awhile but learning to throw my Mids to the 350' range was a huge asset to the consistency of my game.

I think the TD is too long and too LSS on shots 300-350 for a fairway driver imo. Throwing mids 350' is great if you've got the ceiling, but often in the woods you do not. This is where the fairways shine.

I don't disagree with that. Shots in the 350'-360' are probably the most difficult for me to throw and where I miss my Stalker the most. Topping out my Buzzz range and the TD fades a good chunk more than a Stalker.

Keeping my fingers crossed that a Discmania FD covers that slot here in the future.
Wizard - Buzzz - Predator - TD - PD - Destroyer
himynameismatt
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard/Buzzz/PD

Postby jubuttib » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:49 am

himynameismatt wrote:Keeping my fingers crossed that a Discmania FD covers that slot here in the future.
Hopefully next season. They've repeatedly stated that they want to keep the C-Line in the limelight for the rest of this season, so probably no new products until the year changes...
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby discspeed » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:42 am

jubuttib wrote:
himynameismatt wrote:Keeping my fingers crossed that a Discmania FD covers that slot here in the future.
Hopefully next season. They've repeatedly stated that they want to keep the C-Line in the limelight for the rest of this season, so probably no new products until the year changes...

Have they made any non-PLUS core CPDs yet?
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby jubuttib » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:49 am

discspeed wrote:Have they made any non-PLUS core CPDs yet?
Apart from the CFR runs, plenty of which were available with a production stamp? No idea, you should ask them. They have made a third run of S-Lines which Jussi claims are the closest they've ever gotten to the first runs.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby discspeed » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:53 am

jubuttib wrote:
discspeed wrote:Have they made any non-PLUS core CPDs yet?
Apart from the CFR runs, plenty of which were available with a production stamp? No idea, you should ask them. They have made a third run of S-Lines which Jussi claims are the closest they've ever gotten to the first runs.

I want more like this....

These have basically the flight of a normal SPD (though with a bit more HSS and less LSS) with the durability of champion plastic. I'm still throwing my first one. After a year it's only lost a bit of stability and it's been my most thrown PD that whole time.
discspeed

Postby jubuttib » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:13 pm

Yellow champystar? Oh yeah, those are the business. Hard to believe how durable those things are, and how straight. I've been trying to hunt them down since I first saw one, but the stores don't have them and no-one is willing to part with theirs.

We showed Jussi one of those and he was surprised. Said that they were a mistake and shouldn't really exist.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Booter » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:31 pm

I eant some of those :( hook it up mike!
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby discspeed » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:45 pm

Booter wrote:I eant some of those :( hook it up mike!

I'll see if we have any left at the store that I haven't hoarded...
discspeed

Postby himynameismatt » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:41 pm

Love/Hate relationship with the Stalkers continue. I recently added my seasoned FR Z Stalker and a New Glo Z back to the bag. This winter I haven't been trying to push my Buzzz's past 340', I think 339' is the longest hole I throw a Buzzz on in the Winter.

Anyways been pushing the Stalker out to 340'-350' pretty small range. After some serious Stalker ownage today in the woods I'm incredibly pumped to be adding one back to my bag fulltime. 350' Lazer beams ALL DAY, and if I needed some fade at that range I'd throw the Glo.

I misunderstood the Stalker when I first started using it, It's not the workhorse on the same level as a Teebird or Eagle but I think it's the straighter flying fairway at 340'-350' and can fly lower at those distances as well. However, It does take some arm to get it there, but "finessing" a Stalker out to 350' is noticeably easier than getting a Buzzz out that far, especially in the Winter. If you're trying to work a more overstable/understable line I'd reach for a more overstable/understable compliment, respectively. Stalker wants nothing but dead-straight.

Anyways nothing new or groundbreaking here just never thought that revisiting an old mold I had overlooked awhile back would fly this well for me.
Wizard - Buzzz - Predator - TD - PD - Destroyer
himynameismatt
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard/Buzzz/PD

Postby JR » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:36 pm

himynameismatt wrote:Love/Hate relationship with the Stalkers continue. I recently added my seasoned FR Z Stalker and a New Glo Z back to the bag. This winter I haven't been trying to push my Buzzz's past 340', I think 339' is the longest hole I throw a Buzzz on in the Winter.

Anyways been pushing the Stalker out to 340'-350' pretty small range. After some serious Stalker ownage today in the woods I'm incredibly pumped to be adding one back to my bag fulltime. 350' Lazer beams ALL DAY, and if I needed some fade at that range I'd throw the Glo.

I misunderstood the Stalker when I first started using it, It's not the workhorse on the same level as a Teebird or Eagle but I think it's the straighter flying fairway at 340'-350' and can fly lower at those distances as well. However, It does take some arm to get it there, but "finessing" a Stalker out to 350' is noticeably easier than getting a Buzzz out that far, especially in the Winter. If you're trying to work a more overstable/understable line I'd reach for a more overstable/understable compliment, respectively. Stalker wants nothing but dead-straight.

Anyways nothing new or groundbreaking here just never thought that revisiting an old mold I had overlooked awhile back would fly this well for me.

The Stalker is like the Buzzz in sideways placement in that it wants to go either straight or far to the side. Anything in between has very little margin of error. So i'd use the Stalkers for wide left and wide right shots with added height too.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JHern » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:25 pm

The Stalker represents a quandary for bag minimalism, and we've discussed this a lot here in the past. For me, it began when I discovered the ESP Cyclone, which is basically like a Stalker except that it is low speed over-stable. The question was always whether I really needed both the Cyclone and Stalker in my bag. The Cyclone is the better work horse, it does a lot of great things. The Stalker does one thing: it is a purely stable fairway driver that also finishes straight.

I have the same problem with my mid-ranges: I like the Z Buzzz and I also like the Sparkle Aftershock. These are basically the same type of pair as the Stalker-Cyclone: the Aftershock is high speed stable but low speed over-stable, while the Buzzz is purely stable and finishes straight.

The Stalker is always going in and out of my bag. When it is in my bag, there are times when I don't throw it very often, so I take it out if my bag is getting heavy or crowded. I probably should throw it more than I do, but I tend to reach for distance drivers too often for long straight shots (e.g. a beat Pro Wraith instead of a Stalker for a 350' tunnel shot). My Buzzz is my favorite upshot disc because I know that if I just get it on a line at the basket, it will not veer off that path left or right (unless I stall it, which is rarely used on upshots), and I only have to think about short/long which is easy for me since the Buzzz has such nice touch.

I picked up a perfectly clear CryZtal Stalker yesterday with only a gold foil "Discraft" stamp. This was a players pack disc from the 2010 Memorial (I think). It's an absolutely gorgeous disc (slobber!), with a flat top like the 1st runs, and ultra-gummy tacky feel. The trouble is visibility, I put it on the grass in my yard and it almost disappeared. I'm torn between my desire to throw it (which means I will have to dye it, at least partly) and my desire to preserve it unblemished as an example of what the perfect Stalker should be like. I bet it flies absolutely incredibly.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby steven » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:47 pm

just bought 2 to try. both blue 167 Z. one has a little more dome than the other. i need a disc with a rim i can powergrip comfortably, but be shorter than a pd. I get a more consistent release with a wider-rimmed disc than with the roc when i need to use a 4 finger grip to get it the distance. I throw my rocs much better with a fan grip at about 75%, which is only good out to 300 tops. I have a feeling the stalker may not be stable enough, but maybe. my other options have been a champ or star leopard, or just power down a less stable pd. what is more stable, a z-cyclone or a z-xl? I like mid 160's for this spot.
YETI - GATOR - ROC - PD - BOSS
steven
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: dx roc

Postby discspeed » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:19 am

steven wrote:just bought 2 to try. both blue 167 Z. one has a little more dome than the other. i need a disc with a rim i can powergrip comfortably, but be shorter than a pd. I get a more consistent release with a wider-rimmed disc than with the roc when i need to use a 4 finger grip to get it the distance. I throw my rocs much better with a fan grip at about 75%, which is only good out to 300 tops. I have a feeling the stalker may not be stable enough, but maybe. my other options have been a champ or star leopard, or just power down a less stable pd. what is more stable, a z-cyclone or a z-xl? I like mid 160's for this spot.

Keep the FD on your radar...I'm pretty sure Discmania designed it to pair with the PD.
discspeed

Postby kern9787 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:17 am

steven wrote:what is more stable, a z-cyclone or a z-xl? I like mid 160's for this spot.

I've heard awful awful things about the z cyclone (aka glideless POS) although I have little experience with it first hand. Seems like the premium plactic cyclone of choice would be the esp, fwiw.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby money 21 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:21 am

the z cyclone just doesn't fly like a x or esp cyclone so most cyclone guys hate it. The z cyclone is a longer wasp. Think faster wasp and not cyclone when you are throwing it and you will be fine.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment