An Efficient Killer - The Pred Thread

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: An Efficient Killer - The Pred Thread

Postby jubuttib » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:14 pm

victorb wrote:
jubuttib wrote:I think it's a very good beginner disc, one of the best overstable drivers for beginners. They just need to realize what it's for and not just try to use it for distance.
so why is the predator a good beginner disc? I actually don't think it is - champ banshees would be a lot better. If the pred is a beginner disc, wouldn't the firebird and xxx and whatever other overstable pig be a beginner disc too?

I know that's what we all recommend, but a champ banshee or even a good champ eagle would be better for a beginner's overstable slot.
Mainly because of this:
discspeed wrote:There is a lot of PD/Pred overlap as the Pred in general is one of the most versatile and least overstable of the overstable drivers, and the PD is one of the most versatile and overstable straight drivers.
And I'm not saying it's the best overstable driver for beginners, just one of the best. Banshee is probably the single best choice for a first OS mold, but I don't think the Pred is a bad choice for the second or third. People who've played for a while and have manged some semblance of form are still beginners. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby kern9787 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:24 pm

CatPredator wrote:It's not a flashy disc either, so I'm not sure sparkle or midnight preds would really generate that many sales with hardcore pred throwers.

I'm not even worried about it being a flashy disc. I just haven't been a huge fan of the recent Z plastic I've had my hands on. I'd ideally like something a little more firm.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby CatPredator » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:11 pm

kern9787 wrote:I'm not even worried about it being a flashy disc. I just haven't been a huge fan of the recent Z plastic I've had my hands on. I'd ideally like something a little more firm.

There's gotta be plenty of older Preds out there. I haven't bought one in a couple years so I'm not up on current runs, but it's rare that a Z Pred get's "too beat in".
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby cmroorda » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:24 am

I've had my first Z Predator in my bag for at least 8 years. It has been my primary OS driver and thumber disc the entire time. Still fast and overstable into a moderate headwind. Also have a seasoned esp that will turn, but still finishes strong. Finally decided to add a new Z just this last summer. Durable, versatile, predictable, and consistant run to run! What more could you ask for in a disc? Nothing.
The 3-R's of improvement: Repetition, Repetition, Repetition!
cmroorda
Noob

Favorite Disc: Z Comet

Postby roman » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:58 am

cmroorda wrote:I've had my first Z Predator in my bag for at least 8 years. It has been my primary OS driver and thumber disc the entire time. Still fast and overstable into a moderate headwind. Also have a seasoned esp that will turn, but still finishes strong. Finally decided to add a new Z just this last summer. Durable, versatile, predictable, and consistant run to run! What more could you ask for in a disc? Nothing.

Man, you must be really kind to your discs! I cycle Z Predators in my bag, and my oldest one currently in the bag is from 2008. It is definitely not useful into any head wind unless you want a turnover drive. I love it for its predictable turn and straight finish, however. The Predator I added back in 2010 is only a couple of tree hits away from a super straight control driver now (flies like a new PD).
roman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby cmroorda » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:39 pm

Yeah, my home course is pretty open. Only beating they really take is hitting the ground on thumbers and an occasional tree. But even i'm still suprised at the stability it still has.
The 3-R's of improvement: Repetition, Repetition, Repetition!
cmroorda
Noob

Favorite Disc: Z Comet

Postby Aubin » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:14 am

Need some help picking a predator or maybe a tsunami:

I have an ESP that flies like a pred should. I also have a newer Z that is very flat, broken in, but has a lower PLH than the ESP and is much less stable. I can throw it similar to a PD or longer teebird, a control driver with dependable fade but damn does it go far before it does... and it's very trustworthy. On a full power throw it will track right just a hair from a flat release.

I'd love to go minimal and have 3 or 4 preds as my main drivers. I can't picture the ESP or even the less stable Z getting to a flippy understable spot (I use 4 teebirds right now, 2 champ and 2 DX, one beat). Without trying to dig up some old X predators, would you recommend beating up a tsunami? What's the difference between D line and pro line?
ChallengerMagnetCometTeebirdsDestroyersPredator
Aubin
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: APX

Postby CatPredator » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:48 am

Aubin wrote:I'd love to go minimal and have 3 or 4 preds as my main drivers. I can't picture the ESP or even the less stable Z getting to a flippy understable spot (I use 4 teebirds right now, 2 champ and 2 DX, one beat). Without trying to dig up some old X predators, would you recommend beating up a tsunami? What's the difference between D line and pro line?

I think the Tsunami is only in production in Pro and SP line currently. I've only had a little experience with Pro Line stuff but it does beat in a little faster than ESP plastic. I'm sure you could artificially beat one into being flippy pretty quickly by throwing it at a wall or something 100 times. On the course it seems like it would take an awfully long time to get really understable.

If you're looking to get a speed 9 overstable-ish driver beat into flippy, a P-PD is a good way to go. It will almost certainly have a better distance potential and fly smoother lines than a beat Z or ESP Pred, and will definitely get to the sweet spot waaaay faster. Obviously it's a different mold, but the transition felt natural to me as a dedicated Pred/Teebird thrower.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby jubuttib » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:05 am

CatPredator wrote:I think the Tsunami is only in production in Pro and SP line currently.
Don't know what plastics it's produced in currently, but when we got testers to review last year they were in D and Pro, and the only ones available on the Powergrip site currently are the D and Pro.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:11 am

Tsunamis are production run in Sparkle Z and their ESP (they call it pro line) plastics

http://www.discgolf.com/equipment/discs/sp-tsunami.html

http://www.discgolf.com/equipment/discs/tsunami.html
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Aubin » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:59 am

weird, there's def a bunch of d-line tsunamis available online. old stock i guess.
ChallengerMagnetCometTeebirdsDestroyersPredator
Aubin
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: APX

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:21 pm

they ran those as a one off run a while ago and were super unpopular.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby LumberJack » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:04 pm

Discmania should purchase the Predator mold from Discraft and then start up production on pro Predators. GoGoGoGoGo
Pure, Rhyno, Roc, Saint, QOLF, Astra, Quasar, Predator

People deserve the government they get. Why? Because they haven't learned to govern themselves.
LumberJack
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby jubuttib » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:34 pm

Would probably require a heck of a lot of work converting it to fit Innova's machinery...
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Spike » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:10 am

Someone mentioned an overlap in his bag with the Pred and Eagle X a while ago (think it was Frank D? not sure). That got me thinking of trying replacing Pred with EX because I like the Eagle-grip better. It’s been a while since I tried EX, but I’m not sure its h.s.s would be enough to replace Pred. Any comments on the comparison between the two discs?
Spike
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: very old Birdies

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment