My putting is going nowhere, fast.

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

My putting is going nowhere, fast.

Postby jbl » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:23 pm

I need some serious help putting. In fact, I almost have no sense of how to go about it.

I currently just throw the disc at the chains. You read me right, I don't do any of those flashy or technical putts I've seen other guys around me doing. No turbos, wrist flicks, lay-ups, whatever you want to call them. It's just an educated guess on where to throw the disc at the chains.

With that being said, I am open to learning those techniques or going about putting in a more "scientific" way because I am currently going nowhere with my putting.

Any help? Any instructional vids I need to check out?
jbl
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Re: My putting is going nowhere, fast.

Postby superdrive » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:34 pm

superdrive
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pure

Re: My putting is going nowhere, fast.

Postby JR » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:47 pm

I quote myself from yesterday from another thread:

Number one trick that helped me get fewer misses is to sharply accelerate the arm. The trick to doing it is to relax the arm muscles especially in the forearm. Boxing practice creates the infrastructure for faster nerves and stronger and faster arm. All it took for me was punching the air holding a Wii remote. The second best help was in pre throw routine setting myself to face the basket so that my spine to pole line intersects the middle of the disc and my body movement in the weight shift and the arm motion makes the disc move on that line from start to finish of the arm motion. The third best trick was to make sure i faced the basket. The fourth issue is to find as stable a stance as possible. Stagger stance can slip in the weight shift uphill or in wet conditions. Straddle stance or rising to the balls of the feet helps in reducing/removing foot slips.

Also watching the Discraft Putting Confidence Clinic should help if you perform the exercises.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Technique