MD2

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: MD2

Postby JR » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:34 am

jubuttib wrote:
JR wrote:[BTW. making flat discs ain't that hard but the PLH might change too. A hot disc upside down on a table with a weight on top...
A disc that comes out flat from the factory and a disc you flattened yourself are totally different things, and should never be compared to one another.

Unless the factory flattens some discs like that on purpose. Actually they don't need to use weights on the disc with hot discs off of the mold place upside down. Gravity and the weight of the disc itself can flatten the top at least in the molds that have thin flight plates. Especially with soft plastics.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby discspeed » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:45 am

Keeping discs flat out of the mold also usually means cooling them slower...And when discs are manipulated out of the mold all the plastic is cooling/forming at the same time. When heating discs with water post production it is affecting the thin plastic on the flight plate much more than the rest of the disc. This is why it's not the same.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby kern9787 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:55 am

For those of you with D MD2's, are they generally flat or domey?
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jubuttib » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:09 pm

kern9787 wrote:For those of you with D MD2's, are they generally flat or domey?
Domey, but that doesn't seem to matter so much with them.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:44 pm

discspeed wrote:Keeping discs flat out of the mold also usually means cooling them slower...And when discs are manipulated out of the mold all the plastic is cooling/forming at the same time. When heating discs with water post production it is affecting the thin plastic on the flight plate much more than the rest of the disc. This is why it's not the same.

What happens to the PLH with post production heating depends on the mold. Star Katana type of lack of plastic in the flight plate means that there is little forming ability whereas molds with huge domes can flatten up top and only there if moderation is used in the pressure on top. Sure domey discs can be made to change in the PLH too. In between discs are probably the easiest to change PLH wise.

Those were not my points. My point was that a manufacturer could if they wished to lay discs upside down on the table right after removing the disc from the mold. Depending on the plastic and mold a weight on top may not be needed to make a disc flat topped. And some combinations need a weight for flattening.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Re: MD2

Postby kern9787 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:26 pm

jubuttib wrote:Domey, but that doesn't seem to matter so much with them.

Good. The 3 I just got are pretty domey. If they glide well, and still start pretty stable, I'll be happy.
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jubuttib » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:28 pm

kern9787 wrote:
jubuttib wrote:Domey, but that doesn't seem to matter so much with them.

Good. The 3 I just got are pretty domey. If they glide well, and still start pretty stable, I'll be happy.
They do glide well, and will probably have more fade than you'd like at first. Don't worry, just give them some time. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby new013 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:13 pm

i just got my hands on what appears to be a one of a newer batch of CMD2. It's 180 Opaque Yellow Flat and awesome.
"F*ck... here comes that guy New013."
new013
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TL

Postby kern9787 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:31 pm

new013 wrote:i just got my hands on what appears to be a one of a newer batch of CMD2. It's 180 Opaque Yellow Flat and awesome.

I just got one if these (from blurr). I don't know how it compares to the mythical flat ones, but its pretty flat imo. Very straight for the few tosses I've had with it.
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Someth1ng » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:51 pm

so New where did you get your hands on one? IE is it one of the online sites? Want to know who to speak with.

Thanks,

Something
Someth1ng
Noob

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby jubuttib » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:22 am

new013 wrote:i just got my hands on what appears to be a one of a newer batch of CMD2. It's 180 Opaque Yellow Flat and awesome.
Yippee!
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby new013 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:20 pm

i got it in a trade off DGCR with somebody, he said a bunch of new ones just came in to his local store and i asked him to see if any were flat and opaque, i got the best one. he said there was another that was a little more domey and more clear that was 176. so it at least one that came in was money.

i used it a lot this weekend at my tourney, it doesn't have much fade but it's really stable, more so than the first one i had.
"F*ck... here comes that guy New013."
new013
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TL

Postby Someth1ng » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:56 pm

well I picked up 4 of the 6 DTworld had, he said they were significantly less domey than the others. But whether that is the right discs or not I will let you know. 2 pink and 2 yellow. he had a couple of wine colored ones.
Someth1ng
Noob

Postby Flipflat » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:44 pm

Parked this hole twice today with my D MD2. The pic is pretty old, half a dozen trees are down, it's still a tunnel shot but a little wider. There's kind a bare patch at the beginning, but further down it narrows again. I threw the MD2 on a nice shallow anny both times, was really happy with the way it held the line with just a little fade at the end. The disc isn't even really that beat up, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it is later in it's life.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby Someth1ng » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:13 pm

Well I have 2 pink and 2 new yellows, flat but not gummy. They flew pretty much like my gummy pink or my orange USDGC MD2, a touch shorter but I think it was me. Over all I am pretty happy and happy with the time DTworld took to go through their stock of MD2s to get me the flat ones.
Someth1ng
Noob

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment