Another disc modification question...

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Another disc modification question...

Postby Pironix » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:06 pm

I recently traded someone for a couple of discs... one of them had some paint (not dye) on the top of it where a person had decided to put a design on.. but I figured acetone would easily take care of the issue. Well I took acetone to it and removed the paint, but it looks like in order to create the design they may have done a really crappy job cutting out out the stencil WHILE it was on the disc. There are noticeable lines cut into the flight plate of the disc, though they are all very shallow.

So.. I don't know if this thing is legal to throw or not.

These are the only rules I could find that I thought related... both from 802.1 of the rules...

C. Players may not make post-production modification of discs which alter their original flight characteristics. This rule does not forbid inevitable wear and tear from usage during play or the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrape marks. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F.

F. All discs used in play, except mini marker discs, must be uniquely marked in ink or pigment-based marking which has no detectable thickness. A player shall receive a warning for the first instance of throwing an unmarked disc if observed by two or more players of the group or an official. After the warning has been given, each subsequent throw by the player with an unmarked disc shall incur one penalty throw if observed by two or more players of the group or an official.

Now I don't think the these cuts alter the flight but some may argue they do. I don't really see them any differently than how a tree would take a chunk out of the disc. The flight plate is not perforated all the way through, so I don't think that's an issue. F is where I have the most concern. There is not added detectable thickness, it's an impression into the plastic instead. I get if the paint was still on there the disc would be illegal according to part F of 802.1.

What do you guys think? Is it legal to use in a PDGA tournament?
Pironix
Noob

Re: Another disc modification question...

Postby ferretdance03 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:42 pm

paging VeganRay :)
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby keltik » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:27 pm

paint is illegal because it adds weight and thickness to the disc. the cut marks shouldn't cause any trouble.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby ferretdance03 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:19 pm

keltik wrote:...the cut marks shouldn't cause any trouble.

Where does it say that in the rules? I'd hardly call intentional cutting with an Exacto "inevitable wear and tear from usage during play."
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby keltik » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:37 pm

shouldn't =! won't
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Dbuntu » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:46 pm

Fucking this again?
Just throw the damn thing.
It is a poor carpenter who blames his tools
Dbuntu
Noob

Favorite Disc: All of them

Postby warobert » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:08 pm

^^^^^ This
Mark Ellis wrote:Myth: Climo could beat you with a trash can lid.

Truth: Climo could beat you with a trash can lid left-handed.
warobert
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: teebird

Postby Fritz » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:18 pm

lol, Since you removed the paint, it shouldn't be an issue. I highly doubt anyone would say anything.
With the paint being on it, I would say something, but since you removed it, no worries.

As for teh cut marks, just say you throw the disc around Russian Olives a lot lol ;)
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Return to Rules Discussion