Distance Drives

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Distance Drives

Postby CatPredator » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:06 am

fanter wrote:So...more twist at the hips? Point them more away from the target?

And when you say that I'm not turning my shoulders past neutral, is that in the reachback, or the follow through?

You're still in the realm of "nothing will make a huge difference because you're not getting good snap". The towel drill really doesn't teach you how to snap a disc. A new vid of your throw would help, but it seems likely your hit isn't far enough ahead of your midline and you're not building the proper wrist tension because you're pulling early. Doing the towel drill too much, incorrectly, seems like it can actually reinforce bad mechanics.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby fanter » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:50 pm

CatPredator wrote:You're still in the realm of "nothing will make a huge difference because you're not getting good snap". The towel drill really doesn't teach you how to snap a disc. A new vid of your throw would help, but it seems likely your hit isn't far enough ahead of your midline and you're not building the proper wrist tension because you're pulling early. Doing the towel drill too much, incorrectly, seems like it can actually reinforce bad mechanics.

I know you're right. I feel like I'm in the realm of "Still trying to understand this shit after a year or so of reading and watching videos and hoping that I've comprehended and interpreted correctly the information that I've taken in, then hoping that I've applied it correctly, because there really aren't any good teachers in the area with whom I can work one-on-one." Maybe you've been there.
fanter
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby JR » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:07 pm

fanter wrote:So...more twist at the hips? Point them more away from the target?

And when you say that I'm not turning my shoulders past neutral, is that in the reachback, or the follow through?

You're fine in the reach back because you do twist the hips and turn the shoulders in the reach back. Look at yourself in the video possible frame by frame to see how you stop the hips and shoulders to the resting position when you come from the reach back to the right pec position. From the right pec position onward you should twist the hips and turn the shoulders in the other direction as in the reach back. That adds a lot of acceleration and distance. That is why you should emphasize the quickness of the twisting of the hips from the right pec position to the hit. The shoulders should turn even closer toward the target than the hips. No free rides. Work those muscles for added power.

So it's not just the follow through where you need to twist the hips and turn the shoulders. Twisting and turning far in the follow through is crucial in disc angle management and ultimate power generation. I'd argue that even more important is to allow the momentum to be dissipated smoothly over a longer period of time to save the body from excess strain.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Apathy » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:19 pm

I know you look too skinny to have that kind of booty. That part of your form looks assmazing.
Apathy
Tree Magnet

Postby fanter » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:31 pm

I've been focusing on some things, mainly footwork and weight shift. I noticed that I've been way off balance, I've never really "pushed" with my back foot, and I've hardly ever activated my hips in my throw. I also noticed, while practicing some drives, that I take a pretty big cross step, so that my weight has actually been BEHIND my cross step, which obviously makes getting my weight forward very difficult.

I did some more towel work today (because I broke a window throwing discs in the field last week), forcing myself to stay over my cross step so that I could drive myself forward with that foot, twisting with my hips as I did so, while maintaining a loose arm in the left pec area (LHBH). Out of ~150 reps, I had about 6 or 7 that really cracked like a pop gun firing. They became more frequent in the later reps.

I know, as emiller and CatPredator have noted before, that cracking a towel isn't the same as snapping a disc. I'm positive, at least, that my form should be a little cleaner from now on.

I'm going to (maybe) rest a day or two and then come back to it, hopefully I'll be able to up the amount of times I can crack it.
fanter
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:45 am

The more you lean back the more you have power generation potential. The key is to still get weight up or forward from the long leaning back. The faster you move forward the easier it is to shift the weight from a deeper leaning back. The stronger you push the left leg the more you can lean back. Timings will change with more initial weight back leaning. Everyone has different muscles etc. so you have to find your current optimum.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby fanter » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:50 pm

Thanks for the responses, JR. I'll definitely experiment with a deeper lean-back more once I've become a little more consistent.
fanter
Tree Magnet

Postby Pwingles » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:56 pm

Just get some blyyyyyyyzzzzzzzaaarrrddddd discs bro
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Previous

Return to Video Critique