Snap 2009 (NEW video added)

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Snap 2009 (NEW video added)

Postby archimedesjs » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:46 pm

patdabunny wrote:I know the info been said before, but I wanted to relate a story that happened to me recently:

I could snap a towel with Feldberg's technique like no other. Loud enough to wake up my son across my house and with two doors closed. Then, it disappeared. I was frustrated. Then, I found it again and found what is making it snap. Three things. 1) Bend your knees and get in a powerful position with your legs. No straight, locked knees allowed. 2) Turn your hips quickly and stop them at 90 deg from target. Allow this to accelerate your arm passively. 3) Once at the right pec, accelerate the arm as fast as you can. It will snap EVERY time if you do that. No if, ands, or buts.

Now that I can see this clearly, I'm going to go back out to the practice field and see if I can incorporate this into my throws. I think that the breakthrough I had last week was that I was doing the above things plus adding BW's snap technique. I have had severe problems with getting my lower body into the throws, so hopefully this can help my throws.

Maybe also the above info can help someone else out there having problems or regressing like I did.

Daniel

This should be stickied somewhere. I just went in my living room with a towel and did what he suggested and BOOM! Several subtle points that I have read about have been illustrated for me just from doing that. The pause before acceleration never made sense to me. What hit it off for me was the fast hip rotation to 90, and abruptly stopping. It whipped my arm out, but slow enough to where I knew when it was time to let it go on it's own accord, and when to continue whipping it. I just snapped the living #*#$ out of a handkerchief. I know I am going to have to drill the hell out of this until it's natural enough to utilize all of the power from a run up, etc. but this answered a lot of questions I had. I was pulling straight through before, but now I understand the pause. I don't force it, it happens naturally by just rotating your hips to 90 quickly, and then feeling out when to accelerate. It just feels right, and that is what I was searching for. Thank you so much.
archimedesjs
Noob

Favorite Disc: Hydra

Postby SouthernGolf » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:01 pm

Years. This post has been open for YEARS. Amazing guys.

We should have an update called snap 2012 with a list of info that the teachers have learned Compared to what they though almost 3 years ago( if any difference)

For example, if the snap/ accelerating after the right pec really is the best vs. Other theories
SouthernGolf
Noob

Favorite Disc: Omega SS P&A

Postby archimedesjs » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:33 pm

When I said I had a breakthrough practicing the towel drill it was exactly that. The problem is duplication, for me it is not "every time" like Patdabunny says. I can hit it maybe 1 out of 10 times. It boils down to a timing issue, and all the time I spent in the field practicing the wrong way has ingrained the wrong motions into my muscle memory. Is there any tricks to correcting the timing, or is it just about practice?
archimedesjs
Noob

Favorite Disc: Hydra

Postby zpitman135 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:52 pm

when you are throwing a distance shot( not for distance competitions, but for max golf distance) on a scale of one to ten how hard should you grip the disc and how tight should your wrist be? i know you need a strong grip and a tight wrist for a good springing action, but i think i might be holding the disc and my wrist to tightly.
zpitman135
Noob

Favorite Disc: Supersoft Wizard

Postby Star Shark » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:18 pm

It's my understanding that your grip and wrist should be relatively loose until you get into the power pocket <right pec and forward>. At that point, clamp down like your life depends on it. Also the main part of the clamping down should be the pinch between your index finger and thumb through the flight plate.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby JR » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:29 pm

How hard to squeeze and when seems to depend on how much muscle power and arm speed you have. A beefcake may need only 50 % where a couch potato can't grip hard enough with 100 % power. There are obnoxiously far throwing people that grip firmly from the get go. For me personally the best results have come from just enough grip to keep the disc oriented correctly until about when the rear of the disc is passing/has just passed the right side. Then it's as much as i can muster and that ain't enough in my case. But it may not be a muscle power issue in my case. It can very well be subconscious letting go to protect my injured arm that leaves especially my thumb pressure wanting. The thumb is the only finger on top of the disc and it determines a lot of the grip power. If you have a hard squeeze from the fingers under the disc toward the palm you can compensate the thumb pressure to a degree. I would experiment with different timings of the grip and grip strengths. Static vs increasing pressure. That way you'll find out what works for you best and what you should work on for further improvements.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby GeorgeDubya » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:26 pm

Hello, all. I am new to post on this board but have been reading for a little over a year now. For me personally it helps a lot to keep my grip loose until the last possible moment. When I say loose I mean just enough to keep it in my hand. When I was trying to adjust my form a few months ago I tried to keep a tight grip from the start thinking I would be more consistent, but everything went downhill. I was strong arming like crazy because tightening my hand made me tense up my entire arm and I was trying to snap the disc way too early in the throw. I guess I relate the tightness of my grip to the power I put in the snap. Since I started trying to stay loose until the last moment I have seen much more consistent distance and flight paths again. Anyways, hope this helps someone. I know I have picked up a lot from lurking on these boards, particularly on putting.
GeorgeDubya
Noob

Favorite Disc: KC Pro Roc

Postby bigkyle » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:38 am

Hey all...
First time posting here but at least 500th visit to The forums. I remember from some of BWs videos he talks about throwing around the nose and how the grip changes from 9 'oclock to 1o'clock (RHBH). I took some vids at the memorial yesterday and have a couple of stills of feldberg doing exactly that. Just thought it was a cool example of some of the technique that's talked about here. Check it out.

bigkyle
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc.

Postby JR » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:27 pm

Welcome and thanks for the pictures. Do you happen to have a next picture to the one o'clock picture? Because it's not supposed to be a one a clock rip but more like 5 o'clock.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Wyno » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:48 pm

JR wrote:Welcome and thanks for the pictures. Do you happen to have a next picture to the one o'clock picture? Because it's not supposed to be a one a clock rip but more like 5 o'clock.

I don't know that's true.
Mark Ellis wrote:Most sins can be erased with a blunt edged disc.

Main Bag: Z Surge SS, Z Pred, N Volt, E Vector, N Axis, P Ion, P Anode. Touch bag: XLs, Comets, Rattlers
Wyno
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Anode

Postby bigkyle » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:01 pm

You're welcome, and thanks. The next frame doesn't help us at all, the disc has moved in front of his body and therefor you can see it.
bigkyle
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc.

Postby JR » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:44 pm

Wyno wrote:
JR wrote:Welcome and thanks for the pictures. Do you happen to have a next picture to the one o'clock picture? Because it's not supposed to be a one a clock rip but more like 5 o'clock.

I don't know that's true.

I do from experience, seeing it while throwing and high speed video. Although i almost never get 5 o'clock i'm more often getting a slip at 3-3.30. When i'm warmed up and try to max the grip on a good day i have gotten a 4 o'clock in a row a few times. On high speed video. That is an exception.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Previous

Return to Technique