aiming practice

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

aiming practice

Postby jbl » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:27 pm

So I've gotten comfortable with my drives where I can toss them 400' or so. I'm throwing putters around 250'. Distance is clearly not the issue.

The issue for me is getting them consistently straight. Sometimes I'm throwing them well out on the course, other times I'm just not throwing them straight at all. Is there any tips/techniques/secrets for getting them consistently straight? Willing to do field work if necessary...

THANKS
jbl
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Re: aiming practice

Postby JR » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:17 pm

80 % power tops and Discraft Putting confidence clinic idea about repetition and confidence building applied to mid range approaches then FW drives and then distance drives. You just must be limber and warmed up to avoid your body creating inconsistencies. I had terrible troubles last season in mobilizing the upper back. It was difficult to get the shoulder blade move freely far enough without being stopped by the upper back muscles no matter how i warmed up and stretched. And i'm very limber.

I would also use non beaded discs that are not too tall to avoid finger sticking issues along with trying out each grip for each disc.

It is crucial for repeatability to align the foot placement positions with the running direction and the intended throwing angles. For a flat shot running at the target and landing each step on the center line of the tee helps a lot.

Not reaching back as far as you can helps in reducing form and timing flaws and the same goes for the final step length. That step shouldn't be a long stretch. At first you should not run fast at all to maintain proper form. The goal is to build a solid foundation that you can rely on come rain or shine. It is ok to disc up to compensate for the power loss as long as you know the changes to the flight patterns. You can start to up the power back or use your previous form in the meantime for D until you can perform full power and speed throws all the time with clean form. Which may be never but i'm satisfied with good enough, which is an achievable goal. I'd definitely do these drills first on the practice field then on familiar holes. With different discs for the same D. Normal and powered down longer discs. That may mean a need to purchase less fading powering down tolerant longer discs but it's ok if it proves to be the best way to go for you scoring wise. You can't tell until you've learned to throw both ways. Learning well enough can last a while so i wouldn't drop new discs if they won't work right away. It could be you not the disc.

As a performance following tool you could use two molds for the same D one plenty stable enough to not flip ever and a disc that shows form errors. If it is windy the needy disc may be too sissy so it is good to be able to train at all with the beefier disc. That could be beefier than you'd normally use for a flat shot. Maybe even your headwind disc. At least then you might not need to buy a new disc for that distance range if you already have a headwind driver and an understable distance driver.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Technique