King Cobra and Super Stingray

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: King Cobra and Super Stingray

Postby Frank Delicious » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:12 pm

JR wrote:
Frank Delicious wrote:
JHern wrote:
x-out wrote:king cobra is a fantastic disc...it is a faster KC Roc with a tick less fade. it holds the line you put it on and has the HSS to not move much L-R (RHBH). it is capable of great distance on low and high lines.

In other words, a Buzzz...

I actually got to throw a king cobra today and it's not like a buzz, at least not for me. It throws a lot like a MD2 that handles wind better. It threw like the old champ cobras I use to use as my mid.

Which kind of MD2? A domey stiff C MD2 is worse in the wind than a Z Buzzz. Jub preaches about the flatter gummy C MD2s handling wind great and not fading as much and too early like the domier kind. Which mid has a similar LSS to the King Cobra and where does the HSS land in comparison to the Z Buzzz and different MD2s?

I've only thrown the gummy flat ones.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby jubuttib » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:41 pm

Handles wind even better than a flat gummy C-MD2? Are the C-MD2's you're talking about CFR's or from the production run? To my understanding the CFR's were still the old mold and had the sharper nose, which would definitely make them worse in the wind than the new blunt ones.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Frank Delicious » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:14 pm

mine had the production stamp and I threw them like a year ago so I don't if they are actual production runs or not.
Frank Delicious

Postby money 21 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:38 pm

x-out wrote:king cobra is a fantastic disc. this is coming from someone who doesn't like shallow type discs (katana, cobra, wedge, etc.). i liked the disc a lot and wanted to love it, but in the end it wasn't for me.

what it does:
it is a faster KC Roc with a tick less fade. it holds the line you put it on and has the HSS to not move much L-R (RHBH). it is capable of great distance on low and high lines.

why it wont make the bag:
i just love my rocs too much. on paper it was what i wanted...something faster than a roc and still roc-ish, but it just wasn't for me. i guess i need a super slow driver and not a mid range.

p.s. the fd isn't the magical disc to fill the slot im looking for. i'm in the fd fan club. i have a s-line&c-line in the bag and i doubt they will ever leave. in all honesty the fd is too long even though it powers down well. i need a slower fd, gazelle, or something that doesn't exist yet. with that disc i think i would finally have a complete bag.
GM slow driver/fast mid very neutral.
Back on topic I used to pair a champ cobra with a pro cobra they worked great.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby Tossin' in Memphis » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:07 am

The link indicates that they came out flat....are they truly flat or just less domey than usual?
"Strange women distributing swords from the bottom of ponds is no basis for a government"
Tossin' in Memphis
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Moving Pictures?

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:00 am

the one I threw was flat.
Frank Delicious

Postby dgdave » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:30 am

Threw a domey one yesterday. Kinda like a roc.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby JR » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:30 am

jubuttib wrote:
JR wrote:A domey stiff C MD2 is worse in the wind than a Z Buzzz.
Really? The domey C-Lines I've thrown were bad in the wind, yes, but just because they slow down even faster into a headwind, and get pushed around a bit in a sidewind. They don't turn any more than the flats (from what I've seen), whereas just about every Z Buzzz apart from the Glo have some turn even in calm conditions.

I used FR Buzzz way back when and dropped the mold for years and came back to it late two seasons back when from Discspeed more HSS ones arrived that were close to FRs in flight. I have an ESP Buzzz that turns when new. The new Z Buzzzes don't turn at my full power. At all in calm weather and not at all in minor headwinds. Minimal turn in moderate headwinds. Glo Z Buzzz takes moderate headwinds but can't handle stiff headwinds without initial hyzer. Guess the initial angle right and it handles pretty severe headwinds. The domey C MD2 i have turns in headwinds. Even in calm weather at full power even when i stiffen my wrist to counter wrist rolls.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby colombo117 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:31 pm

Any word on the stingray? I am interested in how they fly. My Dx ones were long and smooth fliers with a a hyzer flip.
Ion Challenger Roc EL/EX QJLS Valkyrie Predator
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby Booter » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:40 pm

stock versions of each are on dgv now
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby colombo117 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:27 am

sweet, are people still having credit card issues with them?
Ion Challenger Roc EL/EX QJLS Valkyrie Predator
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby rooneytunes » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:43 am

From one of the local swinging dicks who throws far: super stingray was stable with a little hss turn from a flat throw and the king cobras were straight with healthy fade like a faster fresh roc. He said they both had modest dome.
Wraith-Pred-FD-Eagle-XXX-Warship-Fuse-Pure
rooneytunes
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Postby niuvalleycane » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:43 pm

CatPredator wrote:
x-out wrote:
JR wrote:Leopard?

i forced myself to carry a leopard for half a season, but it never felt natural. the grip wasn't comfortable and it was slightly too understable for what i wanted.

it might be time to test out a couple different types of gazelles again. i was using old candy and different years of dx. maybe the new pro or star gazelles might do the trick.

Stalker? Beaded and big diameter.

prolly not an option but yeah
niuvalleycane
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Whiz » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:14 pm

I took the Super Stingray out for a round at Renaissance today and I was very, very impressed with it. It is a very controllable disc with a bit more glide than a roc and more high speed turn, of course. It only took a few throws to get comfortable with it. Initially, it was more stable than I was expecting (considering the stingray moniker). What is does very, very well is a flat shot that turns right and then hyzers back left (RHBH) or a slight hyzer flip to flat with a VERY straight finish. I picked mine up after watching a local pro throw it about 330 on a beautiful hyzerflip line into the wind. Probably the best shot of the day with it was a high flat hyzer on hole 9 at Renaissance that turned slightly and finished perfectly straight. It was three feet from the basket on a hole that I usually have a hard time getting a roc to (hole plays about 300'). The shots this disc is capable of are exactly what I have been missing by not having a comet in the bag (minus the crazy long anhyzers which I haven't tried much yet). Out of the box it can be thrown with a bit of hyzer and go perfectly straight up to about 300'. For clarification, my max D is around 400' and I usually max my rocs on about 275' holes.
E* DD2, Wraith, Glow Firebird, S-P-C PD, TD, Leopard, Roc, KC Aviar
Whiz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: S Wiz/S PD

Postby kern9787 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:39 pm

Are the king cobras just a champ ontario cobra? Whats the difference between these and the dx stamped champ ontario cobras? Just the flat top?
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment