19%
10+... as many as my favorite store has in stock
7%
all the pink ones I can find :)
12%

Total votes : 69

Re: Comet lovers

Postby NoLifeLeft » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:06 am

I've seen some really flat Z Comets recently that are not nearly as stable as they should be. Not a fan.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby Pwingles » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:57 am

My watermelon esp is domey as hell and has quite a lot more lss than my domey red z's these z's are the most stable comets ive ever had. HSS wise, its only a bit more like .25 or .5 more id say but it domed up so much its noticably smaller diameter or at least it feels like it
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby victorb » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:01 am

NoLifeLeft wrote:I've seen some really flat Z Comets recently that are not nearly as stable as they should be. Not a fan.

they are fantastic if you're wanting the flight of an x comet to hold for a LONG time though. they have their uses.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:56 am

The local TD around here just got in a bunch of new Z comets and they are all nice and domey with a PLH that is pretty high so you guys might be seeing some good Z comets soon also
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby NoLifeLeft » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:13 pm

victorb wrote:they are fantastic if you're wanting the flight of an x comet to hold for a LONG time though. they have their uses.

True, and the flat Z aren't as twitchy as flat X. I like my Comets straight stable though so I buy lighter weight Z to avoid the fade of the heavy Z. For me, the domey, stable Z Comets at around 170g are about where I like them after a bit of beating and then they stay there forever. Good stuff.

I've got a good backup of domey, heavy ESPs now though so the Zs have been shelved for a while.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Postby BLURR » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:59 am

After having a rough two weeks with cracking/breaking disc's(2 aviar's and 1 roc), I decided it was time to forgive the comets in the closet and put them back in the bag. I have forgotten how glidey the comet is with a tailwind.

On a side note, anybody have any flatter Z-Comets 175g and above? I am down to my last one and not seeing too many of them around right now.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby victorb » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:17 pm

I would imagine I have 4 or 5 of them. I don't carry as many comets in my bag now so I can look to see what I would be willing to part ways with.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby BLURR » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:46 pm

Do you need a turnover roc at all? Or maybe a MOLF?
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby victorb » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:19 am

I tend to use comets in place of true turnover rocs right now (not implying I wouldn't take one ), but I can always use S/MOLFs, especially 1.1s. Forgot to dig through my stuff yesterday, but I'll get to it this weekend for sure.

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Working Stiff » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:15 am

The Flying Squirrel is starting to take a serious run at the Comet slot in my bag. The Comet seems more versatile to me, but a lot of that I can cover by throwing Rocs more.

I'm probably just messing up my mid set-up, though. Somebody talk me out of it (BTW I'm not trading you my Comets even if I do drop them.)
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby Frank Delicious » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:55 pm

I threw a flying squirrel for a while and it made a run at the comet for me too. Ended up having problems ranging it and couldn't really lay on it like I could with a comet.
Frank Delicious

Postby NoLifeLeft » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:42 pm

Flying Squirrels are awesome but they only replaced flat Comets for me. I still love me some domey, stable Comet.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Working Stiff » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:11 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:couldn't really lay on it like I could with a comet.
I was figuring on using a Roc for the shots where I'd lay on a Comet.

The Flying Squirrel to me is an easy to throw disc that pretty much does what it does. The Comet is a "hard to get a handle on but when you do it can do amazing things" disc. As I get older, have less and less time to practice, and my meager skills deteriorate even more there is something to be said for the easy to throw disc.

Hey, the Senators (Nationals is a stupid name, I say we ignore it) are the big "if" team in the NL this year...if Werth bounces back and if Morse is for real and if Harper is ready and if Strasburg can come back strong and if Jordan Zimmermann and Edwin Jackson can eat up the innings Strasburg isn't going to pitch and keep the bullpen somewhat rested...the Senators might have a shot a the playoffs. And the O's have new uniforms. :lol: Baseball is back!!!
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby Frank Delicious » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:28 pm

The Nats have a legit chance at a wildcard spot this year (especially since there are now more). Werth should bounce back a bit and Morse should be fine at the plate. They need a better CF but other than that they have a solid line up.

O's going to the cartoon bird again rules. Baseball rules. Yankees and Red Sox suck. Fuck the Angels.

Anyway as for the comet/roc thing. I use the roc for stable/overstable shots whereas I use the comet for stable/understable shots so I lay on both of them depending on which line I'm trying to take. The problem with the flying squirrel for me was it was too finnicky when I really got on it and I was having problems figuring it out (I feel like it was also more nose angle sensitive but I never really figured out if that was the problem). Then I remembered I had like a zillion comets and I already knew the disc and decided to just stick with those.

When I can't practice and lose my touch with comets, I take them out and put in some ontario or beat sanny rocs as they fill the comet spot but are less picky about my form.
Frank Delicious

Postby Working Stiff » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:06 pm

I really only picked up the Squirrels after I cracked an Ontario, didn't want to risk any more old DX discs and wasn't throwing the Comet worth a damn. The Squirrels turn easy so that's really all I've been doing with them. The stable shots I've been using Sentinels for.

Damn I hate winter, I end up with all sorts of goofy crap in my bag. I've been driving Assassins. WTF!?! I put them in when I took the DX Valks out. That was stupid. I can just go buy more DX Valks. Once it warms up and stays light in the evening maybe I'll become sane again. Until then I'm throwing Squirrels.

If Harper can play, don't the Senators pretty much have to play Werth in center?
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment