My Bag. Critiques/Suggestions wanted.

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

My Bag. Critiques/Suggestions wanted.

Postby JeCroisQue » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:21 pm

I'm new to this forum although I have lurked for a couple of weeks. I was hoping to get some feedback on my bag. I have picked up disc golf over the past year after taking a couple years off and am pretty happy with where my game is right now. I am almost all RHBH and only throw RHFH If there is no other option. I disced down for a while to work on form and have since added the drivers back in. Then I realized I had about 12 molds for 14 discs and decided to fix that. I'm more of a control player and I rarely throw as hard as I can (my home course calls for this)- also, it can get windy here which goes into some of my disc choices.

Drivers- 370-400 ft. average/450 ft. max:
Pro-D Avenger- 173g- pretty beat in, has become my long distance stable driver.
Z-Line Avenger- 172g- overstable to stable driver.
Z-Line Avenger SS- 175g- anhyzer drives, rollers.
Champion Firebird 12x- 175g- overstable driver in strong headwinds.

Fairway Drivers- 320-350 ft. average/ 375 ft. max:
Champion Teebird 12x- 175g- overstable, when I need a skip, utility driver, when I'm not quite sure what to throw I'll grab this 9/10 times.
DX Teebird- 175g- almost beat in perfectly, straight drives or down long fairways.
DX Leopard- 176g- long anhyzer shots where I don't need huge distance and am looking for more control. not often used.

Mids- 275-310 ft. average/ 350 ft. max:
Glow Roc- 180g- most stable mid, usually when I need any type of hyzer shot.
KC Pro Roc- 175g- stable mid, very straight with a slight fade at the end.
DX Roc- 172g- beat in, my most reliable/used disc, understable to stable. I reach for this at least 50% of the time.
DX Classic Roc- 171g- almost like a putter, used on most upshots <150 ft. (anhyzer, flat, hyzer. holds all lines), drives < 220.

Putters: 210- 230ft. average/ 240 ft. max
DX Rhyno- 171g- my go to putter for almost all putts, pretty beat in, shorter upshots where I want it to stop dead.
Champion Rhyno 175g- fairly new, still testing it, some up shots, occasional long putts/putts with a strong headwind.

Extras I like but aren't in my bag:
Star FL- 172g- new, have not really had a chance to test it.
DX Wraith- 170g
Star Eagle- 175g- I prefer the teebird so far
ESP Flx Buzzz- 170g- I like it, super straight and long for a mid, but it pretty much does the same thing as my rocs
Yeti Pro Aviar- 168g
JK Pro Aviar- 168g
DX Aviar- 175g

So there it is, I now have 6-7 molds for 13 discs instead of 12 for 14. I'm also looking into getting a set of nukes (one of each, Regular, OS, and SS) for when I get a little more serious, what are you're thoughts on them. As for now, the avengers take care of distance without sacrificing my form, as my game progresses those will most likely be the ones I add. Please let me know what you think (additions/subtractions/new discs I should look into getting). Any opinions/suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated.
JeCroisQue
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Re: My Bag. Critiques/Suggestions wanted.

Postby kern9787 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:51 am

The only thing that really stands out to me is the dx leopard. As somebody with similar power to you, I've always thought of the dx leopard as very... unreliable. Premium plastic (star or champ) leopards are money though. They'll hold lines perfectly when you back off them a little (I used to be able to treat them as a low line/longer range roc), and will get a reliable turn when you get after them a bit.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JeCroisQue » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:03 am

Ok, Ill look into upgrading the plastic on my leopard. One of my main concerns is that I dont have a true overstable mid. The glow roc will straighten as it wears.
JeCroisQue
Noob

Postby kern9787 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:45 am

Depending on your course, you may or may not need an overstable mid. I usually will just power down on my predator, or if I really need it, I've got a champ viper I'll throw in the bag (technically not a mid, but does what I need when I ask).
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JeCroisQue » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:20 pm

True, I guess I can just power down the firebird or champ teebird. I'll have to test that out/work on it.
JeCroisQue
Noob

Postby JR » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:13 pm

With so much power you should definitely get faster longer discs for distance drives. And there are a million out there. Check out Nuke, Rampage and Boss for example. If you see a VIP King with a high dome and the outer edge is not drooping under level it could work too for less fade than the others.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JeCroisQue » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:18 pm

JR wrote:With so much power you should definitely get faster longer discs for distance drives. And there are a million out there. Check out Nuke, Rampage and Boss for example. If you see a VIP King with a high dome and the outer edge is not drooping under level it could work too for less fade than the others.

Thanks for the reply! I've thought about it/have had discs like the wraith and beast but for some reason I never used them unless it was for fun as a second drive. My home course really demands control. Most of the holes have tight wooded fairways and they all have about 12 foot ceilings. So you have to keep the disc going down small lanes while keeping it low. I can only throw max D on 5/21 holes so I'm not sure if its worth it. Only 4 of the holes are over 400 (one of them being 500). Maybe I just need some more practice with them before I feel comfortable to throw them down alleys.

I'd also rather throw 350 and in the middle than 400 and off in the woods.

I have heard the King was good though, I think if I saw one, I'd have to buy it to give it a try, a speed 14 discs would be lots of fun.
JeCroisQue
Noob

Postby JR » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:07 am

It's 14 on a different scale meaning more like 13 on Innova scale. Low ceilings in mostly tunnels means fast low fade and little glide to prevent the disc popping up. Such a disc may not exist. I can't think of one off the top of my head in fast discs. Discmania PD preferably in P-Line after breaking in (a few months of normal play) could fill the bill. But they vary so if you don't get a understable kind it's always fading out even after breaking in. I suggest a minimum of 170 grammer for your power and limiting the popping up. A 175 breaks in a little slower but for your power it probably will be better after breaking in especially for avoiding popping up to over 12' apex height.

When you go to more open courses the big boys will become a sore hole in your bag if you don't carry them. These days Wraith is more a control driver like the most overstable Kings out there are in the fastest disc class. You should get familiar with not terribly overstable max speed driver (King) and a moderately overstable max speeder like the Nuke. Some places may need a very overstable fade disc like the Boss. You don't want to go unprepared into new courses and having those fast discs allows new lines. Over the trees and looong low ceiling shots. The faster the disc the longer it goes under 12' ceiling

Beast is my go to driver but it glides so much that 12' ceilings need forcing the disc down. So a less gliding disc would help and the Wraith ain't that. Low glide with warp speed and no fade is rare or non existent. An Archon glides too much to keep down low easily. It's pretty understable and doesn't fade terribly much for a fast disc. The Archon can't take as much wind as the King and the King has superb glide so it requires even more wrestling to keep it down below 12'. The good thing for you is that you belong to the rare class of players that can pound the PD far enough to compete against anyone in tunnels. Although new PDs that don't fade too much for tunnels are a rarity and you should sell them to me :-) I've never owned one but have thrown one.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JeCroisQue » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:23 am

My grandpa gave me his old bag which fits 22 discs, so I've added a bunch more discs. I still am trying to keep it as simple as possible.

Distance Drivers: King- 375/425, Avenger- 340/390
King -Tourney 174g- Max D driver, only thing faster than a ten. Tailwind/ no wind.
Z Avenger- 172g- Overstable Driver, control hyzers, spike hyzers, short skips that hook left.
X Avenger- 175g- straight control driver, when I need a light fade at the end.
D Avenger- 173g- Dead straight, worn in, Hyzer flips
Z Avenger SS- 175g- Rollers, long anhyzers.

Fairway Drivers: Valk- 330/375, TB- 300/340, Leo- 315/350
DX Valkyrie- 172g- New (replacing a lost one) workable driver, s curves etc.
Champ Firebird- 174g- Most overstable driver, Dead Headwinds, Hyzer spikes, Meat hooks
Champ Teebird- 175g- workhorse driver, still fairly overstable, throw flat and will always finish left.
DX Teebird- 175g- slightly worn- dead straight with almost no fade. Will pretty much follow any line I throw it on.
DX Leopard- 176g, Beat, longer annys that don't fade back, Hyzer flips
Champ Leopard- 175g- Straight shots, slight anhyzers that will fade back, not my favorite.
Pro Leopard- 174g- new, similar to the champ but hoping it will soon fit somewhere in between the DX and Champ.

Mids: Roc- 260/320
CFR Gator- 175g- new- trying to decide between this and a esp flx drone for my overstable mid.
Star Roc- 180g- Most overstable roc, new but I like it so far.
KC Pro Roc- 175g- Straight/stable mid, Worn in, Flex shots
DX Roc- 172g- Beat, overstable mid, Anhyzers, Usually doesn't flex back
Classic Roc- 171g- Most up shots, Slightly worn in, very workable, Hyzers, annys, straight shots.

Putters: 200/250
2 Pro Rhynos- both 170g- equal wear, fairly stiff, one is main putting duties, the other is back up.
Pro Rhyno- 174g- Beat in, very gummy
Champ Rhyno- 175g- some up shots when I want it to slide or skip some, utility/trick shots.

That's my bag as of now, I added some more discs but have kept the core of my bag intact. I have tried to keep it simple with only one disc faster than a 10 and 11 molds for 21 discs

Discs not in the bag: Star FL, 4 DX Rhyno, Anode, Z Stalker, DX Viper, Glow Wizard, Soft wizard, Med wizard, Light magic, Aviar P&A, JK Pro Aviar, Yeti Aviar, eps Drone, Glow roc, 2 kcpro roc, dx roc, eco star roc, dx spider, esp buzzz, star eagle, DX Wraith, #3 flyer, Champ Roadrunner, Glow Leopard, DX Leopard, Glow Teebird, GL River

My concerns/what I'd like to get suggestions on:

Drivers: Am I missing anything, do you think I should get some more high-speed discs to fill any gaps? Or just stick with it?

Fairways: Im thinking there is a little overlap but I feel like I have most shots eventually I'm hoping my Pro leo will take the champ leos spot. I tried the river for a while, but couldn't justify it taking the leos spot, thinking about giving it another try.

Mids: Pretty comfortable with them so far, I can pretty much hit any line with the rocs. Do you think the gator or the drone would be better for the overstable mid spot?

Putter: Been having some trouble with the putter recently, switched from DX to Pro Rhynos while it's still cold. Kind of trying them out but missing a lot of pots in te mean time. If it doesn't start to work out soon i'll have to try the wizards I have.
JeCroisQue
Noob

Postby JeCroisQue » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:54 am

Took out the Classic Roc, added a medium anode. The Anode seems a little more workable in my opinion, a little flatter and better for anhyzer upshots. I like the feel of the Classic Roc in my hand more than the Anode (especially off the tee; It seems to turn a lot more than the Classic Roc when I throw it hard), I guess it's something I have to just work on a little more to get the feel of.

Took out the Champ Leopard (seemed to overlap with the DX Teebird and the Pro Leopard, added a blizzard boss mostly just for fun.

Took out the CFR Gator, added an ESP FLX Drone. I'm finding that the Drone is just a better overstable mid (better in the wind, more versatile for utility shots IMO), the Gator kind of did what my Star Roc does.

The switch to the DX Rhynos is working out pretty well. The stiffness of the DX as opposed to the Pro plastic feels a little better in my hand.

Tried out a C-PD, didn't really seem to do anything different than my Z Avenger. Has anyone else found this to be true?
JeCroisQue
Noob

Postby JeCroisQue » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:46 pm

I've gone through a couple switches.

Distance Drivers: Avenger- 300/350, Max D- 325/375
2x King- 166 and 174 Tournament- Max D stable driver
1x Sword- Tournament- 173- fairly new, like it better than the boss so far.
3x Avenger- 175 Z, 172 Z, 170 X- workhorses, stable to slightly overstable control drives. (one is for flicks)
3x Avenger SS- 167 ESP FLX, 175 and 165 Z- Long turnovers, flex shots, Understable control drivers, rollers.

Fairway Drivers: 280/325
1x Firebird- Champ 174- overstable wind driver, meathook skips (got a backup I don't always carrytoo)
2x Teebird- 175 Champ (1 worn, one new)- Stable to slightly overstable shots/ drives.
2x Leopard- Worn 174 Pro, Beat 176 DX- understable turnover shots/ drives.
1x Banshee- Worn Champ- 173- Utility disc, OH shots, skips, some drives.

Mids: Roc- 250/300
3x Rocs- Beat 178 DX, Worn 177 KC Pro, New 175 Kc Pro- slightly overstable to understable shots
1x Buzzz- ESP FLX 170- low ceiling tunnel shots out to about 300'- Have a TI coming so trying to get back into the mold.
1x Drone- ESP FLX- 176g- Meathook, utility mid. Headwind shots.

Putters: Rhyno- 200/225, Anode- 220/260
2x Rhyno- 1x 165 DX Main putter and practice putter, 174 super soft Pro (some upshots and testy putts) a couple more 165 DX's coming in the mail soon)
2x Anode- 172 and 173 Softs- Upshots and drives (didn't like it for putting)

Drivers: Added a Sword and another Avenger SS. Took out the Blizzard Boss, It just didn't do it for me.

Mids: Went with a Drone for overstable mid after messing around with a bunch of different molds. I needed a dead flat low ceiling tunnel shot, so I added a Buzzz. It works well so bar but I don't like the ESP FLX plastic for the Buzzz. I tried out an Axis but it wasnt better than the buzzz. I'm going to try out a Core and a Warship for this shot next. I have those two coming in the mail and a TI buzzz. Hopefully one of those will stick.

Putters: Switched to from 175 to 165 Rhyno's for my main putting ditues. I'm making a lot more putts with just the switch in weight. I still have a heavy Pro putter in the bag if I ever need it. Also switched from Medium to Soft Anodes and stopped putting with them. I love the feel of them approaching and off the tee, just not for putting. Definitely will be in my bag for a long time to come.

Let me know what you think
JeCroisQue
Noob

Postby JR » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:00 pm

Lots of hauling to do with them and aren't there overlap issues? FIrebird and Banshee especially.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Fightingthetide » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:41 pm

I agree on the overlap. Maybe drop the Banshee and consolidate your distance drivers. The 2 Kings and the Sword seem reasonable, but do you need all of those Avengers (regular and SS) in the bag? Could you get 1 or 2 more Kings in different weights/plastics to cover the same shots as the Avengers? For mids, you could go Buzzz / Drone and get a Pro D or X Buzzz for understable shots if you like that mold. Or stick with Rocs.

My suggestion (molds only)
King - Sword - Firebird - Teebird - Leopard - Roc or Buzzz - Drone - Rhyno - Anode
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JeCroisQue » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:04 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I use the Firebird and Banshee for different things. The firebird is more fore meathooks and shots I need to skip left or heavy headwind shots. The Banshee is for utility shots, OH, FH, Windy drives. I can't throw OH or FH with the Firebird, I've tried it just doesn't work very well for me. Also, my Firebird is noticably more overstable than my Banshee.

One Z Avenger and one Z Avenger SS are just backups incase I lose one. I only throw 2 each, I have a tourney coming up and this is just what I'll be bringing. I feel much more comfortable with the Avengers than the max D stuff too. I'm only throwing Kings or a Sword if its a let em rip type hole. I like the Rocs and Drone set up. The Drone is miles more overstable than my brand new KC Pro roc so there is no overlap there. Also, I can throw the Buzzz about 40-50' further than my Rocs, and keep it on a line lower to the ground. I only use it for long low ceiling tunnel shots (theres a couple holes on my course that needs them. I don't really like the Buzzz mold though, which is why I will be testing out a Core and a Warship for this spot. I wanted something in between my Beat Champ Teebird and Worn KC Pro Roc
JeCroisQue
Noob

Postby JR » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:06 am

I missed that the Banshee was worn then it makes more sense. Once your Firebird gets worn you could replace the Banshee if you wanted to and get a new FB for the overstable stuff. Ranging and annies are a good reason to pair up the Buzzz and the Roc. Pulled power Buzzz shots are like overstable champ Rocs or more D with full power. Rocs are better for minor adjustments in l>r situations than the Buzzzes and the Buzzz is good for tight early turns. Warhip turns even faster and is even longer. Cores vary so i can't say anything about them not having thrown one lately and the one i had was from hearsay more OS than later ones.

Avenger could be defended for bridging the gap in speed between the TB and the Sword. The same for the fade. Not an ASS fan ass is another matter though :-) I would roll those shits into the nearest water. If the Avenger you have is not fading hard the Leo and the Avenger could possibly fare well enough together without the TB but that is not like all the Avengers are so that heresy won't work just by stopping at a local shop and grabbing any Avenger. Unless you're lucky.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Next

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion