Caviness's bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Caviness's bag

Postby Caviness » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:19 am

Yo. I've been playing for around 3-4 months now and am beginning to feel comfortable with pretty much any shot type. My distance is typically around 380' maxed out. I can hit 340' consistently. I feel that some hole in my bag are holding me back at the moment. My bag is pretty much a hodge-podge of whatever discs I could get cheap. I feel my biggest hole is not having a over-stable mid. I generally have to power-down one of my distance drivers to fill that slot. This seems to lead to some inconsistancy on short/midrange hyzers. I would love to know what over-stable mid yall would recommend (Drone/Zone/Wasp/etc.). Any other thoughts are welcome as well (such as what over-laps I have). I am trying to reduce my bag down to only a few molds. So far I am looking at (Surge - Teebird - Leopard - Over-stable Mid - Buzzz - Cobra - Wizard) since I don't really use the other discs much.

Putters
SS Wizard 175 - New. putter only. 95% of the courses I play are wooded and I don't want to beat it in until I can get another wizard, but the times I have driven with it, I was pleased with the straight line with late/gentle fade at the end.

Soft Magnet ?weight - supper beat. Is used for short straight shots or anny shots less than 200'

BB Star Aviar 170- beat. Driving putter I use this on pretty much anything less than 230'. Would love to replace this with another wizard. I find that I really don't like the deep rim.

Star Aviar P&A 175 - beat. hate it. Used only for putting practice anymore.

Mids
Z Buzzz 170 - new. Favorite mid for pretty much anything 280' or less. Can throw it straight, anny or gentle hyzer. Does what I want it to do. Would prefer a max weight for better consistency in wind.

Star SM Roc 177 - new. fairly straight flyer with a late fade. Throws ok for me, but I like the feel and control of my Buzzz better.

DX Cobra 178 - super beat. Used to hyzer-flip straight shots 280'-300' or sweeping annys.

Drivers
Pro Leopard 175 - new. Love this thing for gentle annys or straight drives around 300-330.

DX Teebird 175 - new. Go-to driver along with my leopard. Fairly straight with late fade. Won't flip on me like the leopard if I want to rip one.

Z XS ?weight - beat. Pretty much the same as the Teebird but a bit longer/faster.

Pro-d XL ?weight (seems light) - super beat. Even with hard hyzer it flips to the right pretty badly. Only used on hard-right anny shots.

Champ Sidewinder 167 - new. Long S curve. Generally would rather use something else. Behaves like a longer/faster/ slightly more stable leopard.

Z Surge 169 - slightly beat. Over-stable driver/ forehand. Mostly only used for forehand drives. I will use it occasionally for max-d shots. In those cases I get about 380' with it flying straight with a hard late fade.
Looking to trade out the following discs if anyone is interested.
175 Star Aviar P&A 7/10
170 Star BB Aviar Driver 7/10
177 Star San Marino Roc 9/10
167 Champ Sidewinder 9.5/10
? Z XS 8/10
Caviness
Noob

Re: Caviness's bag

Postby Wordgie » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:49 pm

Keep working the XL. After a while you should be able to get it to stay straight. Also, if you don't have a forehand yet, use that to get it going. Mine was like my second driver and I found myself choosing the Valk over it. Once I got used to it, it became my go to fairway driver. It's now my go to FH and some low canopy/tight shots. Thrown low and flat. it'll drive straight and just sit down with a little fade. I've flirted with several aces with that thing.

Hated my TeeBird until here recently. I'm really getting better at getting some flex on it and winding it through trees. Still got some bugs and it's not consistent, but there's light. Keep working it. Maybe try an Eagle?

Roc vs Buzzz....I feel the same way. When I can air the Roc out more, it's much better where the Buzzz is a little more tolerant of powering down. I nailed a 60 footer with my Roc the other day and I'm playing with it on tight fairways.

I got a Champ Sidewinder to replace a Star I lost.Doesn't seem to be as long and I found I have to put a little more anhyzer on it to get distance. It's not quite as consistent FH as the star was. Little anny and lower release and it should drive pretty well.
Wordgie
Noob

Postby JeCroisQue » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:08 pm

You say you get out to 340 on average 380 max, I'm guessing thats with the faster drivers. I like where your headed, If you want to keep it simple mold wise this is what I would se the bag up trying to include some of what you already have. It would also help to know how far you threw your putters, mids, and fairways too.

Putters- you had 4 molds just within your putters. that can easily be cut down. Keep the ss wizard if you like it, I would get an extra just for ease of practice and it's always good to have a backup. If the ss wizard is going to be your putter then I would try to pick one of those two and use that predominantly and have one backup. For driving you could easily pick up a medium wizard, and that would replace the aviars and magnet. (I like the Anode off the tee, it is very workable especially for upshots too)

Mids- For the mids I would suggest picking either a roc or a buzzz, for me I feel like I can throw more shots/hit more lines with the roc (having a few in various degrees of wear, also, maybe try a dx or kc pro roc instead of a star they are a little different and beat to straight. For all intents and purposes there are buzzz people and there are roc people. If your a buzzz guy then I would check out the esp buzzz as a secondary mid, and maybe a buzzz ss for that understable spot instead of the comet if you're concerned about molds. As for your overstable mid question, I have only thrown the drone (out of the ones you listed). It kind of feels like a roc in my hand (to me at least) I'm not quite sold on it but I like it so far.

Drivers- The Leopard/teebird combo is awesome, it has been a staple in my bag since i've started playing. The pro Leopard is awesome, I would suggest a DX also. A DX Leo, when it beats in will be amazing, huge annys and hyzer flips all day. A dx teebird will beat in to where it eventually may overlap with the pro leopard. I would suggest taking a look at the champ teebird, it's very reliable, will hold a flat line and then fade every time (whereas the DX will loose the fade and become flippy with wear) it can aslo be used for some flex shots or an overstable mid when powered down. I would also ditch the XS, doesn't seem like theres much need for it, same with the xl unless you're really attached to it. I wasn't a fan of the sidewinder, it should be more understable than the pro leopard (depending on wear) you might not be throwing it up to speed, I would probably ditch it anyways or see if you can work on developing a roller/thumber/tomahawk with it. As for the surge, I've never thrown it, but If you like it I have heard it's a pretty good control driver. Personally I like the avenger, I have a d, x, z, and a z ss. That combo pretty much covers any shot i'll need to use a control driver for. I almost never throw (or need to throw) anything faster than a 10 speed, but my max d drivers are a blizzard boss and a westside king (I rarely throw them, they are more just for fun).

So, what I would have your bag look like is:
Putters: 2 ss wizards- if you are comfortable with them, both being the same weight and a medium wizard probably a similar weight.
Mids: if you prefer the buzz over the roc, then I would use a z and an esp buzzz, buzzz ss, and a true overstable mid you like (I like the drone)
Fairway drivers: pro and DX leopard, Dx and champ Teebird
Drivers: Surge if you like it (maybe try a surge ss too they're a little more stable) I'd keep the sidewinder to see if you can use it as a utility disc (rollers, thumbers, tomahawks)

As you said you are trying to keep your molds low, that would be about 7 molds for 14 discs (including a surge ss). I wouldn't throw anything over a 10 speed until you can get your teebird out to 350ish consistently. I've been playing for a couple years, but I'm not an expert by any means. I think that this would be a great bag for someone with your experience.
JeCroisQue
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Caviness » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:12 am

Thanks for the replies. I know I have a wide variety of molds. Several of the discs I have are rarely used. Typically the discs I use are...
Surge for max D and forehand
Teebird for go-to distance drives 300-350
Leopard for straighter or slight anny drives 300-350
Buzzz for pretty much anything that is not a big hyzer or anny 300 and less.
Cobra for hyzer-flip straight shots or sweeping annys 300 and less
BB Aviar for short drives/upshots with a little fade 225 or less.
Magnet for short drives/upshots with no fade/anny 200 or less.
Wizard for putting

With another Wizard I'd drop the BB aviar.

I am finding that the DX teebird is beating into a very straight flight quite quickly. I may have to get another in Champion to cover my more stable driver spot. Ohter than that, I am quite happy with my bag save for the missing over-stable spot. I used a friend's 175 DX Gator a bit yesterday and wasn't really happy with it. It didn't seem all that over-stable to me. It kind of acted like a faster BB aviar. It had fade, but not as much as I was hoping for.
Looking to trade out the following discs if anyone is interested.
175 Star Aviar P&A 7/10
170 Star BB Aviar Driver 7/10
177 Star San Marino Roc 9/10
167 Champ Sidewinder 9.5/10
? Z XS 8/10
Caviness
Noob

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion