53%
No
47%

Total votes : 30

Re: Elevated baskets. Like or dislike?

Postby Fritz » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:46 pm

Itchy wrote:Mr. Kennedy,

I was thinking more about placements like these:
That field already looks pretty bulldozed to me, why artificially add a stroke by putting your basket in the air?

Or something like this.

I wasn't really thinking that baskets half way up a hill were elevated only because you have to putt up at them. I actually like courses with elevation change.

The first picture, when I see holes like that they drive me crazy. But when I see a hole like the second one, or in a tree stump or on an "ant hill" something along those lines I think are great. If it swings, hang's or anything like that, I don't see a point of the "putt putt" style basket unless it's for a fun charity type event where money isn't on the line.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Steady 26542 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:38 pm

Mark Ellis wrote:Oh, and having a beer following the round tastes just as good out of the cooler in my car trunk as it does in the country club bar and I don't need to have a member's account.

I can attest to this. Mark's beers are always cold and tasty. :mrgreen:
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Postby Fritz » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:06 pm

Steady 26542 wrote:
Mark Ellis wrote:Oh, and having a beer following the round tastes just as good out of the cooler in my car trunk as it does in the country club bar and I don't need to have a member's account.

I can attest to this. Mark's beers are always cold and tasty. :mrgreen:

But the peanuts in the fancy dish ... ;)
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Itchy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:17 pm

Mark Ellis wrote:...So players are upset with an elevated basket?? If the same basket sat on top of a beautifully manicured but totally manufactured bunker and presented the exact same risk and reward, would anyone complain?

I personally don't thinking have ground under the basket and not having ground under the basket offers the same risk vs reward.
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Postby Star Shark » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:50 pm

Let me clarify. I prefer them to be on some structure rather than freestanding for 2 reasons....

1 - Much easier to retrieve your disc if you can step up on said structure.
2 - Basic aesthetics.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby TOURNEYPLAYER » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:05 pm

Stoney Hill has a swinging basket, it hangs over a creek with ob fence behind the tree. if it were a stationary basket it would not be any easier. the hanging basket adds a nice touch.
TOURNEYPLAYER
I bugged Frank for a rank and got this as my rank. WOOOO Frank rules!

Favorite Disc: ZONE BITCHES

Postby Whiz » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:46 pm

I personally have come to like elevated baskets, whether with a pole or natural elevation of the course. Hole 9 at the Nest is the classic example of this style of hole. Even if you are 10' below the hole it is a risky putt. It forces you to either make a good putt or layup if you cannot. I am generally stubborn on the hole and run the putt even when I should not. Smarter players try to lay up if they are outside of 15' or so. It is always amusing to see players unfamiliar with the course throw it past the basket and then putt back at it with the slope behind it. This can lead to very high scores.

In summary, I like elevated baskets because of the risk/reward (scoring separation) they present. They are fair because everyone has to the play the exact same hole. A player's height is really not much of an issue unless we are talking about child-sized players. I have heard some complaints about how these types of baskets make a course inaccessible to children. Ideally, there will be other courses where new/younger players can play instead.
E* DD2, Wraith, Glow Firebird, S-P-C PD, TD, Leopard, Roc, KC Aviar
Whiz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: S Wiz/S PD

Postby chunk » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:10 pm

i don't have a problem with elevated baskets as long as they're well done and not just on a pole in the middle of a field. walnut creek has a cool elevated basket overlooking the lake. i'll see if i can find a pic.
what would willie do?
chunk
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:27 pm

I love hanging baskets but that might be b/c I play a course called Swingin' DBs quite a bit which has all swinging baskets.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby BrotherDave » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:08 am

I like'em. Especially on short holes to add some spice. Hornet's Nest's hole 9 is fine by me.
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby Jsw » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:23 am

I'm ambivalent towards them. I think what Mark said has some traction with me. I don't mind them if they look decent, but the ones that look like shit(aka just an elevated pole, or some ghetto basket hanging from a tree) don't do it for me.

If you don't have the means to do it "right", then don't do it at all. They aren't SUCH an amazing thing that they can just stand on their own merit. Do it tastefully with terraced steps or something and it can add a really nice touch to a course.
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby JHern » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:06 am

On most of the holes I've seen these "gimmicks," the added challenge of an elevated pin was a positive modification of a hole that otherwise would produce very little dispersion in scores. It takes more guts and skill to go for the putt, especially in the wind. There is an obvious element of added risk vs reward. The first pyramid style elevated pin I ever saw was at Morley Field in San Diego (hole 6?). I've seen some very crazy things at other courses later on (especially private courses), which made me realize how fun it could be to be creative with this kind of thing. At my home course, we have some elevated pins simply due to erosion of the ground around the sleeves. We've considered re-setting the pins, but sometimes it is more interesting to keep them as they are.

It doesn't mean they are always good for a hole. I think it really depends on the hole, you have to judge each case separately. I would never go so far as to say that they are always good or always bad.

Mark Ellis wrote:The problem is not that the basket is too high or low or swings in the wind. The problem is the basket itself is a poorly designed device which arbitrarily rejects good putts.

This is one of the biggest problems, for sure. I had a tournament round fall apart after laying up to within 6' of the basket, tossing my putt dead center into the heart of the chains (not too soft, not too strong), hit gently against the center post with the chains enveloping the disc, and then somehow finding a way to fall out of the basket (no wind, DGA Mach III). Everybody in my group assumed it was in, and had already turned away, as did I to pick up my mini...until we heard it hit the ground. It was a shocking occurrence, and I can tell you for sure that it threw my game into the toilet ever after. This definitely needs to be fixed, and is a much worse problem for our sport than artificial OB or elevated pins.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby CreemCheese » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:12 pm

The few that I've played, I've liked. I always hate them at the time, for it being harder. It's just so flat around here, anything for a bit of change is nice.
Updated whenever something happens to me: [url]discsandtrikes.blogspot.com[/url]
Find out what you cannot do and go out and do it.
CreemCheese
Noob

Previous

Return to General Discussion