Legacy Releases the Clutch

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Legacy Releases the Clutch

Postby JHern » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:35 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote:
JHern wrote:
Jesse B 707 wrote:
JR wrote:...Magnet is a thinner little less gliding Ion. But the fade depends on which kind of Ion you have. The clear Ions fade around the same as the Magnet. Others less than that.

Not even close, other than being a putter the Mag and Ion have nearly nothing in common flightwise.....and magnets have way more fuckin glide than an Ion.

Jesse, have you thrown the Clutch? It definitely seems to have lost some glide in its lower profile, in comparison to the Magnet.

This is what i figured unfortunately, i dunno why damn near every putter to come out in the last 5 years has to be low profile, IME lower profile putters never glide as they should and can act really strange when the wind kicks up. This thing sounds like a Swan unfortunately

Actually, I think the Clutch is fine in the wind. And I think it could work great as a general purpose putter, too, but depends on the throwing style. I think it favors an accurate snappy fling at the chains type of putt, one that doesn't rely on the disc to fly, or that relies on a dependable stall and fade. Probably best fit is with spin-putters. As a driving putter, it is only so-so...the Ion, Wizard, Aviar, Challenger, etc., are better driving putters, IMVHO.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby dgdave » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:05 pm

Any more reviews here? I should have 2 here soon and give them a good workout this weekend.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby JHern » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:58 pm

dgdave wrote:Any more reviews here? I should have 2 here soon and give them a good workout this weekend.

Wish I had time to film some throws, and let you see for yourselves...I've been too busy driving all over California, working, and then playing tourist rounds at fun courses, which isn't the best setup for filming.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
JHern

Postby JR » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:37 pm

Written accounts of how it putts and drives is A ok by me.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JHern » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:55 pm

I talked with Gregg Barsby last weekend, and he is using the Clutch as his main putter now that he is no longer with Discraft*. Basically he describes the Clutch as an attempt to reproduce the 1st run Magnet.

He also said Legacy just sent him a box of Clozer putters, and he is eager to try them out...not sure what they're like, or how they're supposed to fly.

*Gregg is now sponsored by Westside discs, throws the Sword, and gives it a very strong endorsement. He also throws a very nice TL that he got ahold of...
Japan bag...
JHern

Postby dgdave » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:56 pm

Why doesn't he putt with a Swan?
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby JHern » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:49 pm

dgdave wrote:Why doesn't he putt with a Swan?

He likes Magnets. First runs. Sounds like he's basically on the same page as Steve Rico.
Japan bag...
JHern

Postby Mixed Bag Madness » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:06 pm

JHern wrote:I talked with Gregg Barsby last weekend, and he is using the Clutch as his main putter now that he is no longer with Discraft*. Basically he describes the Clutch as an attempt to reproduce the 1st run Magnet.

He also said Legacy just sent him a box of Clozer putters, and he is eager to try them out...not sure what they're like, or how they're supposed to fly.

*Gregg is now sponsored by Westside discs, throws the Sword, and gives it a very strong endorsement. He also throws a very nice TL that he got ahold of...

WTF is the reasoning behind this switch? Greg was a premiere member of Team Discraft.
PA1s-Rocs-FLX Drones-Teebirds-D3s-Destroyers-D1s
Mixed Bag Madness
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pumpkin Rocs

Postby turso » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:32 pm

What whaat, Barsby's with Westside? Awesome :)
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby JR » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:51 pm

Do i remember correctly that somewhere in the Memorial commentary or interviews it was said that Gregg doesn't throw as far as he did? What happened? Music, injury or what?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby money 21 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:55 pm

i like how some of the smaller companies don't require there players to only throw there brand. if i were sponcered ( not going to happen any time soon) i would want it to be with a smaller company so i had that freedom to choose.

How does the clutch compare to the money putter from ABC.
Last edited by money 21 on Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, sharp shooter #2, trak, ascent, seacert weapon, vulture, unlace, lace, olace, solace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby JHern » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:25 am

Barsby is the most balanced forehand/backhand thrower on the national tour, period. Everything he does with one, he does with the other just as well. And of course, the all important thing being, he makes big putts.

Anyways, Gregg is too free-spirited to go along with all the stuff that Discraft likes to see in their sponsored players (I think Nate Doss is close to their ideal...very smart and down to business). One famous story is that somebody from Discraft actually came out in the middle of a round at the Memorial, and criticized the way Barsby was dressed, which distracted him from the matter at hand (i.e., playing disc golf). This doesn't mean Gregg doesn't respect the other team Discraft pros, he is a huge fan of Nate Doss, in particular. He just doesn't fit the mold so well, himself.

Gregg is talking about going into the merchandising biz himself, and coming out with his own line of disc golf clothing. Think Huk Lab with a Barsby spin, but even more outside-the-box than you can imagine. I'm sure it will be really fun. And I hope it will be as successful as it is fun.
Japan bag...
JHern

Postby victorb » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:50 am

Picked up a pair of protege clutch putters from PIAS yesterday. Preliminary results are good, nice straight putters, has better glide than challengers for sure. Always liked the flight if a magnet but it felt too deep for my comfort. I'll use it for a few weeks before I make a decision, need to get a few rounds in with it and more practice putts.

I will say the protege plastic feels really nice though.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby ferretdance03 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:26 pm

victorb wrote:Picked up a pair of protege clutch putters from PIAS yesterday. Preliminary results are good, nice straight putters, has better glide than challengers for sure. Always liked the flight if a magnet but it felt too deep for my comfort. I'll use it for a few weeks before I make a decision, need to get a few rounds in with it and more practice putts.

I will say the protege plastic feels really nice though.

These are pretty much my exact thoughts. I always liked throwing Magnets, but for whatever reason I had no confidence in them for putting. I've been putting with Challengers for a bit now, but after a recent change in my putting stroke I've been struggling with low putts; constantly banging the very top of the cage. I switched to lighter Challengers to see if it would help but the inherent drop in the mold wasn't offset by the drop in weight, so I wanted to try a putter with perhaps a little more glide and a little less fade.

I've been putting a few Clutches through the testing stages for about three weeks, and so far so good. The have great glide without being flippy when throwing drives. I like the feel and firmness of the Protege plastic as well, and they seem to be holding well thus far. I'll wait until I make it trough the puppy love infatuation and the new plastic smell wears off before I completely jump on board, but as of now I'm liking them.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby Frank Delicious » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:32 pm

I just started messing with challengers and feel like they have good glide. its surprising to hear complaints about their glide.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment