Westside Warship (already better than the battleship movie)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Westside Warship (already better than the battleship mov

Postby turso » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:15 pm

I'm guessing what he means with 1 to 2 degrees is closer to 5-10 degrees in real life.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby JR » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:53 pm

Nope 1in360 degree full circle based increments. Naturally there is bound to be perception errors. That is ball parking it.

For me a one degree angle off level is easier to detect than the difference between say 4 and 5. Because it is a no brainer to see a flat throw and a throw that is not only a hair off level. One degree off level falls in between those ends.

I've watched angle measures a lot. As with everything training can make you better and it doesn't mean that your judgment can't be off at times. A trick to make judgments easier is to imagine a 90 degree angle, which is easy to see. Then halving it can be fairly easy to learn. With practice halving that is fine. And so on. Watching and using measures that show one degree intervals can become memorized to a degree at least.

I heard the change from FIM to EUR was not popular with the bank tellers because they had to learn the weight of a bundle of bills. A bank lady told me that nobody she knew that was in the bank for more than a few months calculated the bills in a stack. They knew the weight of the stack of different amounts of bills. I worked in a lab and got pretty comfy telling if i was over or under 7 grams with a sample. Naturally i did not go by feel in a lab that could be accurate to a millionth in some measurements. I'm sure i'd be off now after all these years.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby turso » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:39 pm

Ï do agree that it's easy to see difference between completely flat throw and just a degree or two over/under, that's the way human brain is tuned. But I do not trust you or anyone else to to see the difference between 3 degree to 5 degree over hyzer in a throw, but you yourself said that's the case, just clarifying what my view was.

turso

Postby JR » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:34 am

turso wrote:Ï do agree that it's easy to see difference between completely flat throw and just a degree or two over/under, that's the way human brain is tuned. But I do not trust you or anyone else to to see the difference between 3 degree to 5 degree over hyzer in a throw, but you yourself said that's the case, just clarifying what my view was.

Maybe not always right but it doesn't mean that i couldn't get it within one degree much of the time most of time probably. Think of how much farther you throw now compared to what you did with your first toss. People can improve the performance of many skills several times over. 100 meters dash not being one of them if the initial dash ain't done as a baby but you get the picture.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:56 am

I feel like we've had this conversation before but 1 degree differences is really hard to detect.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby turso » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:11 am

yup, and it's a pointless discussion as long as we don't do testing on JR with proper equipment, but honestly I'm not quite that interested on this matter :)

turso

Postby Msarimaa » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:30 am

Whoa. Can of worms apparently =)
Pure-JOKERi-Fuse-Core-Pain-River-Striker-PD-XXX-Boatman-Sword
Msarimaa
Noob

Favorite Disc: JOKERi

Re: Re: Westside Warship (already better than the battleship

Postby zenn9 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:04 pm

Msarimaa wrote:Could these replace my cores? I want just a tick more hss.

That's what I was thinking too
Drivers - Lat 64: Riot, Vision, and River. Ching Velocity Supreme & Powerline. Innova Champ Wraith.
Mid-Range - Buzzz and Fuse,
Putters - MVP medium Ion's.
zenn9
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzz / MVP Ion

Postby JR » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:28 pm

I'm no Core expert because they have varied and i've only thrown one early one and that's years ago with different form and less power. I think that the Core is noticeably more HSS so this would probably be a step in the wrong direction in the HSS department for you.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:42 pm

Msarimaa wrote:Whoa. Can of worms apparently =)

Like i care. But in the interest of the readers trying to appraise the veracity of my findings i trust my angle seeing skill less when the angles get far removed some easy reference points. Angles close to flat being the most accurate and close to 45 degrees then and vertical being close. Half way points between those angles are more prone to judgment error because you have to do multiple divisions going from flat to vertical halving those and then halving again and so on. More estimations=more error sources=higher chance of messing up.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Booter » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:44 pm

jr...YOU SO CRAAAAZY
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby Pwingles » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:13 am

Booter hasnt been onthe actual internet lately as you can tell by his use of the dated term crazy, it is now simply "cray" and yes JR is cray
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby Msarimaa » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:37 pm

Has anybody with more experience with cores throwed these yet?
Pure-JOKERi-Fuse-Core-Pain-River-Striker-PD-XXX-Boatman-Sword
Msarimaa
Noob

Favorite Disc: JOKERi

Postby jubuttib » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:50 pm

Msarimaa wrote:Has anybody with more experience with cores throwed these yet?
Turso has thrown the proto Warship and it doesn't sound like the production model is terribly different, a tad more HSS if anything. You can read his and my reviews on Powergrip.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:25 pm

jubuttib wrote:
Msarimaa wrote:Has anybody with more experience with cores throwed these yet?
Turso has thrown the proto Warship and it doesn't sound like the production model is terribly different, a tad more HSS if anything. You can read his and my reviews on Powergrip.

The proto i threw was more HSS by a bit in indoor testing than mine were on ice so who can tell what the reality is before getting to throw these from a grippy surface in warm conditions. The proto i threw sounded more HSS than the one you had. I can't tell if there more than one type of proto out there because i only threw one. But that is not important. What is important is that even throwing on ice the Warship is long and understable with a low power requirement for the distance. So if your buddies that throw longer use Rocs or Buzzzes you might have an equalizer here for the midrange distances and low fade requirements in tunnels without needing to throw uncontrollably hard. Warships are easy to get flying left, straight and right without a lot of power so it is friendly to new players and those without a lot of power. They won't mask terrible OAT though but should be just fine for low powered moderately cleanly throwing people up to at least 450' throwers. But who in their right mind with that kind of power would toss 100 % on these anyway? That speed is better left for discs designed to fly at those forces=drivers.

The Warship is a very accessible and very easy to throw disc that diminishes the gap to power throwers. There's a distance war going on in drivers and the Warship reflects that in the mid department. I wouldn't call it a tweener of this age but when the Buzzz was introduced the Warship would've been a tweener. Categorizations aren't important but the fact this turns, powers, fades and gets distance like a mid being straight is what matters. The boundaries of midrange type of flight have been pushed forward by about 10-15' with this disc. Relative to the longest prior mids. The difference is more compared to the Z Buzzz. And for those wanting a controllable tunnel piercer out to long distances for a mid but straighter finish than tweener discs this is a must try. Because it also doubles well in the role of a low power super controlled mid going farther than most putters ripped at full power. The Warship handles wind well powered down and the fade becomes an insurance but power down too much and it may exit the tightest tunnels. Thumbs up!
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment