andrew's handcut dyes

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

andrew's handcut dyes

Postby andrew » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:32 am

I figured out how to do this reading Acid's Dye Tutorial, and figured I'd post some results to share ideas or whatnot.

I'm going to start by posting my first attempt, which successfully made a disc I don't use more visible in my closet (It's a Crystal Rogue). I also found out why it's better to put contact info. inside the rim.... (The double image effect is from the shadow on the countertop.)

Then, I figured I'd do a putter (HPP Warlock) and pretend it was a close-up on the same image:

These were both navy blue RIT; I left the second one in longer for some reason thinking that would make it more blue than purple....

If these link attempts works, I'll post others....
Wizards/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebirds/XXX/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

Re: andrew's handcut dyes

Postby andrew » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:40 am

Okay, those came out a little big. I'm going to try to resize.... Here's a Glow Stalker that I put Morpheus onto. This was before I purchased acetone at a hardware store and was trying to use fingernail polish remover, resulting in scratching up the disc. Pretty happy with this disc except the sausage fingers...

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Postby andrew » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:55 am

Resizing seems successful. Here's my first attempt at doing the same color (in this case yellow) for three different times, after doing a black outline. I still hadn't gotten acetone, so I decided just to leave the original logo and be subtly controversial:

andrew
Tree Magnet

Postby andrew » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:09 pm

Gateway S and Glow series plastics don't hold dye well at all, but that hasn't kept me from trying. Here are three Wizards, all using black RIT:

David Bowie Labyrinth:

Albert Ayler Spiritual Unity (one of my favorite albums, containing a track entitled "The Wizard"):

Leatherface from Texas Chainsaw Massacre:
Last edited by andrew on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andrew
Tree Magnet

Postby andrew » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:44 pm

A couple other attempts with same color but different soaking times.

Apocalypse Now's Kilgore on a Valkerie (dun da-da DAH dun...). This was Crimson Red dye but I kept the vinyl on the scarf and hat badge thing until the final 5-10 minutes. Colors turned out great but my cutting was a bit clunky.

Another Wizard but HPP plastic. It's Doc from Tombstone and I think there are four different layers. I mostly like how the cigarette turned out:

andrew
Tree Magnet

Postby eky8 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:49 pm

Good work. Welcome to the addiction.
eky8
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The last one I dyed

Postby andrew » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:53 pm

Thanks, eky8!

Here are three teebirds,

Iron Leaf:

TARDIS:

Seahorse:

andrew
Tree Magnet

Postby andrew » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:54 pm

and finally for now, my most recent, Beast on a Beast:

andrew
Tree Magnet

Postby andrew » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:56 pm

Oh! I have one more picture. It's a Glow Buzzz, and for 20 minutes while doing the black outline it bled under the vinyl because of where the bee had been deeply stamped. I stopped the bleeding by squirting Elmer's school glue into the problem area, but the funny thing is, it came out the blue I had intended for the stripes to be, but they turned purplish because I kept them exposed while doing the yellow. Lessons learned....

FC Barcelona logo:

andrew
Tree Magnet

Postby Star Shark » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:47 pm

Is it me or does Doc look like Josh Anthon.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby dgdave » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:30 pm

Good shit man. I like the leaf and Bowie
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby Dbuntu » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:19 pm

I am also a big fan of the leaf one. It's just so simplistic.
Also "I'm a leaf upon the wind watch how I soar"
It is a poor carpenter who blames his tools
Dbuntu
Noob

Favorite Disc: All of them

Postby andrew » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:11 pm

The problem with the leaf is every time it goes off-line in Autumn I panic....

andrew
Tree Magnet

Postby andrew » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:51 pm

Here's what the Glow Wizard is reduced to after three months:

I haven't seen many faded dyes posted but have seen the question asked so thought it might be helpful. Edit: Important to point out this is baseline plastic.

Finally got a swivel x-acto and, man, is that a great invention! In the next few days, I'll be practicing the whip cream swirl dye technique to be able to add the blue cloud background to this:

I'll post results when I have them...

andrew
Tree Magnet

Postby andrew » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:51 am

I did some test runs using shaving cream to create swirls and hippie shit. The results were pretty terrible:

And here's the Bettie Page/Rocketeer completed on a Flow, which is prettty awesome, if I say so myself:

Used black, red and tangerine in a skillet of hot water, progressively removing contact paper. To outdo myself, i attempted the blue background using the swirly shaving cream method (discussed more on DGCR than here). Consequently, I almost wrecked it because I thought covering the rest of the image with Elmers glue would protect my progress until then but the shaving cream ate the glue away and blue tinted the legs and sash. Alas....
Last edited by andrew on Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andrew
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to Disc Artwork